Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2nd course of accutane. first course was amazing, but i had to stop one time after about a month because i had pains in my knee and i was in the middle of my soccer season. restarted and it worked perfectly but i stopped taking it for the last 2 months because my skin was perfect and i didnt want to deal with the dryness and lips anymore.

my skin was perfect for about a year and a half. about 2 months ago i started to break out really bad, which i think has to do with me growing more facial hair and still going through puberty i guess haha.

today is day 15? and pill 21 (40mg). I just got off solodyn (antibiotic) before going on accutane. it was really starting to work but i knew once i was off it, my acne would come back so i decided to permanently attack my acne haha.

here's my synopsis so far.

had an IB, it was ok and my face is now healing from it. i can see the improvement already. almost no cysts. zits are coming up VERY small and heal in a matter of a day or two. redness of pimples isn't that bad.

Cons: dryness (cetaphil moisturizer working well), dry/chapped lips (aquaphor), knee pains and back pains

Also, i noticed that old pimples i had where i had little scars turned red, but the redness is slowly going down.

i'm also on some weird dosage. my derm told me to take one 40 mg pill a day for the first week, and then 2 pills on tues, thurs, sat, and sun starting the 2nd week. i think it's because of weight (130), which is too low for a full 80mg a day course to start.

finally any recommendations for another moisturizer? cetaphil is fine but it makes my face looks greasy.

i'll try to update every week or so. that was too long, sorry.

i like your user name ! haha i'm a huge lil wayne fan.

that's awesome that you stopped two months early and your acne stayed away for a year and a half. Hopefully this 2nd course will knock it out for good :D

as for moisturizers i really like Cerave lotion. I feel that it makes your face feel really moisturized without being TOO greasy. It's a little more expensive than Cetaphil, but its a BIG bottle, and you can use it for your whole body too.

good luck!

That was a very quick IB lilweezy. I love when small zits go away quickly. Perhaps you can ask your doctor to prescribe a hydrocortisone ointment for your lips, if Aquafor isn't working that well. I've found great success with Cetaphil products, so I am glad to see they are working well for others too. Do you use the cream or the lotion? Maybe you could try Lubriderm daily moisturizer. Best wishes.

firstly, weezy is amazinggg haha.

ok... i have cerave something... i use it in the shower and then put on cetaphil (cream) and have lotion too, maybe ill try it as a moisturizer.

nike... i hope that was my IB... i don't remember having a bad one my first time on tane. my face is in a healing stage right now. i have scabs, and red spots.

i'm also growing out my facial hair because it makes my face a little more oily so i'm hoping that offsets the dryness a little.

i'm also really excited because i know by may (prom) and the summer (senior summer house) my face will be flawless. lets go!!!! haha

A healing stage is always good. Don't pick at the scabs because then they bleed, and then it takes another week or so for another scab to form. Growing out your facial hair to offset the dryness is an interesting approach. Let me know if that works for you.

ok so today is actually day 15 and pill 21... i can't count.

face looking better (i know too good to be true) almost better than when my face was while on solodyn. (knock on wood)

today was my first day back to school and i'd thought i'd share what i did to cope with all the side effects.

woke up at 615. brushed my teeth and then took a quick shower. (i noticed over break my face looks so dry and awkward in the morning). got out and immediately put on cetaphil moisturizer. i put chapstick on after having aquaphor on all night. took some cetaphil in a small case with me in case of an emergency.

at school i made sure i didnt touch my face or eat anything that would stretch my mouth (makes me dry for some reason). applied chapstick throughout the day. came home and my face was fine... no dryness or peeling. lips actually look better than they've had in a while.

i'm also using ocean nasal spray to combat the dryness/bloodiness in my nose.

also, i think the facial hair thing is working, but only because it makes my face more oily. might not be the same for other guys.

i also loathe school right now!!!

day 16. pill 22,23 (40 mg).

believe me or not... but my face hasn't looked so good in forever.... since like September. i remember my face responded quickly on my first course too.

but all i'm dealing with right now are a few red spots from old pimples and 3-4 almost healed zits. and of course some peeling and dryness.

i'm trying not to jinx myself though. i'm kind of scared that i'll have another bad breakout since my IB was just OK.

other than that... my lips are manageable, but i'm bleeding inside my nose and it's drying. so uncomfortable.

Hey weezy, glad to read about how great your skin is looking. Let's hope your IB is manageable. Also, I noticed you are a Lil Wayne fan. I was watching tv this morning and saw Weezy on ESPN, and they have the video up on youtube. I provided the link for you in this thread, in case you wanted to view it. Take care.

P.S. I just noticed the video skips a bit. Sorry but it is the only clip I could find.

day 17. pill 24 (40 mg)

AMAZING!!! for the past three days i would say my face has gotten 5x better each day.

i am almost completely clear except for one healing pimple on my forehead. no inflammation at all. my face is looking so natural. not much dryness either. lips are doing great as well! my face hasn't looked this good since the middle of my junior year when my face was perfect. i am so grateful and i feel so lucky! i wish tane showed great improvement for everyone this fast.

Ocean nasal spray is a great idea, why didn't I think of that? :doh: That is awesome that you are seeing improvement already. Good luck with your course, you will definitely be clear by prom!

day 20. pill 28,29 (40 mg).

lookingggg goooooood!

face looks great, lips not bad, dryness not too bad.

i think the facial hair thing is working too, but ill have to shave soon.

confidence up! morale up! feeling great!

byeee

day 21.

i shaved! haha i had too but it probably wasn't the best thing. i think i irritated my face a little. a few red spots popped up. it's a little more red than it has been lately. i have a few small pimples healing on my forehead and i few under my jaw. i think my face is trying to break out a little, but it can't haha.

basically .. face still looks good. lips are worse than recent days. nose isn't bloody anymore though. bye

day 23. pill 33,34 (40 mg).

ummm i dont know. i wish i had a picture from like before accutane cause i'm already taking my skin for granted! i'm having like a red spot/redness breakout??? like i dont even know what it is... nothing really i guess cause there are no pimples haha. my skin is definitely drier though and i think that's definitely from shaving. oh well it will probably be less dry by the end of the week then.

bye

day 25.

blahhh. this redness won't go away. my face is getting a lot drier too. my nose is peeling, my ears are flaky? and my forehead is flaky. my cetaphil moisturizer can't keep up with this dryness. i put it on immediately after my shower, but my face still feels tight and looks greasy.

my lips are feel really dry too if i don't have aquaphor or chapstick on. i'm thinking about using aquaphor on parts of my face. good or bad idea??? my face was looking so good about a week ago, i hope this clears up soon. byeee

ps.. any suggestions for the dryness?

day 27.

face looking better than past few days. just a few red spots and dry patches. i think i'm getting cysts right above my neck hair line. but they are going down pretty fast.

derm appointment wed. for my month checkup. my face has improved so much since i started. the dryness is just frustrating though.

byeeee

day 30. one month yay!

face looks good except for 2 pimples by my sideburns. derm appointment tomorrow. i'm curious to find out if i'll be bumped up to 80 mg a day. i don't think i need to, but i don't know.

face is not that dry. lips are becoming frustrating though. nose isn't too bad. i'm having back pains though and my joints are a little shaky. everything is definitely tolerable though.

my one month results are amazing! the only drawbacks are the side effects and the fact that i inspect my face for the smallest things... such a bad habit.

byeee

day 31.

my derm kept me on the same dosage... 40 mg (2 pills tues, thurs, sat, sun).

face looks good. actually a bit more oily than recently. i have like 5 cysts though on my neck hair line. lips, nose dry. joint/back pain.

she also told me to put topicort on my lips at night to heal any cuts

Good news that your face is clear but how big are the cysts? Do you find the cysts to go away quickly? Topicort for the lip cuts sounds good. That was a pretty good skin month you had, besides some of the side effects. Stay clear.

day 36. i hate mondays... but i hate sunday nights more. so bored.

but those cysts on my neck.. which were covered by my hair, were monster and pretty painful. they didnt come to a head so i had to use a little pressure to get them. theyre getting smaller though. i have a zit on like my cheek that is pissing me off. i promised myself not to touch it... ive noticed they go away faster that way on accutane.

other than that... my face is 'clear' but not completely. few redmarks and some healing pimples under my jaw. really my face looks fine and i'm satisfied, but i want that perfect skin that i had before.

side effects

new one! i have like a small rash on the top of each of my hands. i'm putting cetaphil and aquaphor on them. i should probably start moisturizing my hands and arms now. joy.

dryness isnt too bad. its actually not bad at all. my face just feels a little tight after showers, but feels and looks fine after moisturizing. i trimmed my facial hair because last time i completely shaved i had like a redness, dryness breakout. so i've concluded that the facial hair is offsetting the dryness problem.

my lips are chapped. frustrating.

my nose is dry and gets bloody off and on.

my ears are getting flaky and dry... so now i'm moisturizing them too haha.

anyways... i'm getting tired of school... 5 days of boredom but it's senior year and i'm starting to think of leaving high school and all my friends and i don't want to! one semester left... can't believe it

alright theres my ultimate post. have fun

I've read on different members logs that zits go away quickly on Accutane. I still don't have perfect skin, but I consider myself relatively clear compared to what I used to deal with. What are your problem areas? I am prone to breaking out in the middle of my forehead. Your lips are still getting chapped? I guess just cake on the chap stick.

day 42.

yes my lips are still chapped. i hate putting on the aquaphor because it makes my lips so shiny and greasy. and yeah, most of my zits go away by the next day. although, one i had recently left a scar that is fading... typically doesn't happen for me.

i would say my problem areas are my cheeks and jawline. although, i don't get pimples, just like red spots that reoccur when my face gets overly dry. seriously though they look fine.

i'm noticing moderate scarring though from where i would have zits in the same spot all the time. i hope they fade soon and the redness subsides soon.

instead of worrying about pimples now i worry more about if my face is peeling or greasy. it's terrible. i can't wait till i'm done and my face isn't dry anymore. i can't believe it's day 42. times blowing by. i thought i would 100% perfect by now, but whatever. the improvement has been tremendous so far.

day 49.

damnnn time is flying. face looks good. i lowered my dose to just 40 mg/day myself. i could not take the 80 mg every other day. my face was getting so dry and my lips so dry as well. it was getting so annoying and frustrating. now on just 40 mg, my lips are in decent shape and my face is barely dry at all.

i also might be losing my insurance coverage soon, so i guess i'm saving some pills by just taking one a day. i've actually been sick these past few days and my nose is extra congested from the tane and sickness.

other than that, just some slight redness. my hands are still dry though.

goodbye

Up-date? I'm going to assume that you're skin is looking better because it has been a while since you posted an entry. Just use some hand lotion and you'll be fine.