Notifications
Clear all

How to sleep on the back?

MemberMember
(@hina79)

Posted : 01/04/2009 9:18 am

I like to sleep on my side, mostly the right side and thats where I get the most pimples. I believe thats because when my face is smothered in the pillow, its all nice and warm there, there is no ventilation and the bacteria breed rapidly. I change my pillow cases fequently but I still get these cheek pimples. So I tried sleeping on my back yesterday. It was really hard and I am feeling very tired now b/c I didnt get a good night's sleep. I would like to hear from people who successfully switched to sleeping on their back and how they did it?

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 01/04/2009 11:23 am

There's no "trick" to sleeping on your back. If it's something you want to do, you just kind of have to train yourself to do it. I'm usually a side- or stomach-sleeper, so it's hard for me to fall asleep if I'm laying flat on my back, but because of some shoulder issues, I sometimes have to sleep that way. I've noticed that if I force myself to lay on my back for a few nights in a row, it gets easier. Yeah, I still sometimes wake up on my side or stomach, but hey, people move around in their sleep. It happens.

Just try to remind yourself when you're going to bed to start out laying on your back. It might be uncomfortable at first, but you'll eventually get used to it. (Think of it this way--there are plenty of pregnant ladies that are usually back- or stomach-sleepers that have to teach themselves to sleep on their sides because of their bellies. If they can do it, so can you.)

MemberMember
(@skiz)

Posted : 01/04/2009 12:00 pm

Just keep with it. After a month or so your body gets alot more used to it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/04/2009 1:47 pm

Yeah, I've wanted to do that too to see if it helps with my sinus congestion. But the best I've been able to do is stop sleeping on my stomach. I hate sleeping on my back.

MemberMember
(@steveox)

Posted : 01/04/2009 6:47 pm

i had to do this when i had shoulder surgery, at first it sucks but after a week you get used to it.

MemberMember
(@thehonoraryloli)

Posted : 01/12/2009 12:29 am

For me, it never got more comfortable, but I continue to do it for the sake of the fact that I have noticed an extreme difference in my cheek bumps. My trick is whenever it gets too uncomfortable for me to actually fall asleep, I'll lean my head over so that only one side of my forehead sort of props itself on the pillow, and it's tons more comfortable, and my forehead literally never breaks out, so no worries. If you have forehead trouble, though, I don't know what this would do for you.

Oh, and getting a full nights rest gets easier as time goes by, evne if the initial uncomfort of falling asleep doesn't.

MemberMember
(@thuglife2k5)

Posted : 01/13/2009 3:34 pm

i sleep on my back every night and still get acne.......i trained myself to do it a year ago......hasnt fixed the problem

MemberMember
(@headtrip_honey)

Posted : 01/13/2009 3:44 pm

Invest in something like this:

Japanese Neck Pillow

Not specifically endorsing that product...in fact, I have to say it's hilarious how they state, "Faithful to Japanese tradition, the set features an inner case with a convenient 'hidden' zipper for adjusting the amount of buckwheat hulls"....because ancient Japan totally had zippers.

Anyway, the idea is to get a pillow that mainly supports your neck, and it will encourage you to sleep on your back.

Works for me, anyway.

MemberMember
(@ooo)

Posted : 01/13/2009 11:02 pm

It's really something you get use to. Start off by sleeping on the side and then when you get tired flip to your back. In time you'll feel more comfortable with sleeping on your back. I have phases where I sleep on my back / my side. Right now I can't sleep comfortably on my back, actually if I lie on my back, I end up sleeping two hours later. I find my mind clears a lot quicker when I sleep on my side. Generally I sleep on my back.

It's really something you get use to. Start off by sleeping on the side and then when you get tired flip to your back. In time you'll feel more comfortable with sleeping on your back. I have phases where I sleep on my back / my side. Right now I can't sleep comfortably on my back, actually if I lie on my back, I end up sleeping two hours later. I find my mind clears a lot quicker when I sleep on my side. Generally I sleep on my back.

MemberMember
(@kbnguyen)

Posted : 01/14/2009 1:26 am

I don't really know if your sleeping position really matters because I can only get to sleep if I sleep on my back and I still have acne.

How I trained myself was to surround myself with pillows (make a barrier I guess) and wrap my body blanket tight around my body. I did that for a long while and then got the hang of it.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@narcissist)

Posted : 01/15/2009 3:30 pm

Haha i learned to lie on my back when I got the top of my ears pierced, hurt like a bitch and I couldn't sleep on my side! NO PAIN NO GAIN! remember to wash your pillow cases, incase you do lie on your face in the night :)

MemberMember
(@haruka)

Posted : 01/18/2009 11:02 am

I wouldn't worry about the way you sleep affecting your acne; if you do believe you experience acne from your cheek resting on your pillow, it would be more effective to see if the detergent you use is giving you an allergic reaction, rather than spending painstaking hours trying to change the way you sleep (which, I'd imagine, would only make your skin worse, since you will be depriving your body of essential rest).

Also, though I do not sleep on my back, I have heard and read that sleeping on the back will increase the appearance of dark circles underneath the eyes. I don't know why, because I never had a reason to research it, since I sleep on my side. Anyway, I am saying this because you might end up finding that you waste time trying to change your sleeping position and only end up trading one skin problem (acne) for another skin problem (undereye circles).

MemberMember
(@iamafreak)

Posted : 04/02/2009 1:47 am

Okay, so I've heard that sleeping on your back is a great way to combat acne but I can't seem to do it. I always try to sleep on my back for about 30-45 minutes then give up, roll over and fall asleep on my side. Laying on my back is just so uncomfortable for me. Any ways I could solve this? Maybe I need a new pillow? I tried no pillow and that was even harder to fall asleep.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/02/2009 2:44 am

Ive tried sleeping on my back too but I cannot do it. I dont feel like Im sleeping if Im on my back. I feel like Im meditating LMAO! Plus, if I sleep on my back, I can hear my stomach gurgle

MemberMember
(@greeneyes44)

Posted : 04/02/2009 9:30 am

I am a side sleeper as well. I go side to side everynight and no matter how hard I try can't seem to train myself to sleep on my back.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference for acne but my concern with sleeping on the side with your face pressed against pillow causes wrinkles. I am 39 and more concerned about this. So what I did is buy a silk pillowcase that doesn't cause wrinkles like a cotton one will.

I also rotate the pillow the case so I'm sleeping on one side one night and the next night I'm sleeping on the other side, in case bacteria is on there. Then I wash it in hypoallergenic detergent every 2 days.

Bottom line if you are side sleeper and concerned about acne, plan to do a lot of laundry.

And as a preventative for crow's feet and wrinkles you may want to switch to a silk pillowcase :)

MemberMember
(@vartoooza)

Posted : 04/02/2009 11:29 am

im afraid that when i start to sleep on my back i will snore...i hate ppl who snore :D:D

MemberMember
(@iamafreak)

Posted : 04/03/2009 9:15 pm

I don't care about snoring because I sleep alone. Every night I try for about an hour to fall asleep on my back (or in another safe position, like on my forehead) before finally giving up and going to sleep on my side. Since my last post I've tried another type of pillow but it hasn't worked. I have another thing I'm going to set up tomorrow to try... it's pretty complicated but will be worth it if it works.

MemberMember
(@deadliest-catch)

Posted : 04/03/2009 9:53 pm

i hardly think theres bacteria (p. bacteria) that lives in your pillow. P. bacteria that causes acne can't survive in oxygen.

you guys are getting a little to carryed away with acne prevention.

MemberMember
(@thuglife2k5)

Posted : 04/03/2009 9:55 pm

ive defently mastered it but i have to sleep on my side also half the time.

and guys u dont have to stress about sleeping on ur side an this is how u avoid face touching pillow on side.

you teach urself to sleep with your hand on your head(where your hair is) side of it. and the most your hand touches is your temple area. and then hang your face off the side of the pillow

its actually really comfortable..almost as comfortable as sleeping on your side. an alot mor comforatble then sleeping on back.

MemberMember
(@iamafreak)

Posted : 04/04/2009 3:49 pm

ive defently mastered it but i have to sleep on my side also half the time.

and guys u dont have to stress about sleeping on ur side an this is how u avoid face touching pillow on side.

you teach urself to sleep with your hand on your head(where your hair is) side of it. and the most your hand touches is your temple area. and then hang your face off the side of the pillow

its actually really comfortable..almost as comfortable as sleeping on your side. an alot mor comforatble then sleeping on back.

Thanks, I'll try this tonight.

MemberMember
(@prettyboy909)

Posted : 04/04/2009 6:54 pm

im kinda scared to sleep on my back because one time i did and i got sleep paralysis that night....

MemberMember
(@zhfac)

Posted : 04/04/2009 10:29 pm

Funny, I can`t sleep on my side(s). I have to sleep on my back, or I can`t.

MemberMember
(@mayciebabie)

Posted : 10/15/2012 1:13 am

a pillow under your knee area is great !!! kinda elavates legs flattening back then use neck pillow (: it's awesome

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/15/2012 3:54 pm

Like everyone's been saying, it's mostly just a "you have to get used to it" kind of thing. I had to learn to sleep on my back when I got 2 helix piercings on both ears, but it wasn't too hard, took me maybe 4 days.