Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
windskissbg

Newbie on Roaccutane- with photos gallery updated soon!!

Hey guys,

Well i've been 3 days on Tane so far and after surfing around these boards and reading other people's logs I decided to create one for myself. Hope to get encouragement and support from u guys. Thanks.

My status before tane:

My case is kind of a weirdo. When i was 19 i went to Bulgaria for studying abroad (and i'm still in Bulgaria :))Before then i hadn't had any serious acne apart from one pimple from time to time due to my gluten intolerance( eating too much bread or spaghetti..). But when i was in Bulgaria enjoying the very first winter of my life, i mean snow and cold and everything (by the way I'm from a tropical country so winter is something I had been looking forward to experiencing) I got a breakout only on my right cheek. I didn't pay any attention to it and as the winter was gone the acne was also gone. And that thing repeated itself during the second winter, just that in such a more severe form that i decided to see a dermatologist back then. well she gave me something topical to apply on the pimples that i can;t remember; i just can recall that it wasnt much of a help. And again when the winter was over my acne was completely gone too. WEIRDO right?? Ever since my acne has been coming back in a very serious form and it doesn't really care if it's winter or not, it just feels free to break out when i feels like it. Well I got mostly cystic acne which would preferably like to break out on my jawlines and on my cheekbones. They are huge deep cysts and always last about 2-3 weeks. I've tried everything , i am telling u, almost everything that u can possibly think of : antibiotics, long-term scheme of antibiotics, microdermabrasion, cryotherapy, laser therapy to help prevent the inflammation and flare-up, peeling, proactive , etc. Frankly said I had had periods when i was very clear but I am always in a state of red alert and anxiety and everything that they can come back so unexpectedly.

And right now I have a deep cyst on my jawline and 2 little pimples on my chin, lots of red marks and dark spots on my cheeks and a great number of blackheads and whiteheads across my face. So since the problem is so persistent and taking into account the possibility of similar cysts popping up and leaving gross dark spots I succeeded in talking my dermo into prescribing me Roaccutane. And now i'm on it like i said 3 days so far.

Day 3

Nothing noticeable has been seen since my first day. I don't even have any new blackheads or whiteheads not to mention new zits which makes me a little edgy becos maybe the accutane might not be working. Ah yes maybe my face is getting a little more oily. don't know why though. does Roaccutane make ur glands produce more oil?? WEIRD. Besides there's no side effects at all. Well honestly my lips feel a little dry and here and there now and then i feel a little itchy on my back but i think it might be as a result of the freaking cold winter now. That's it for now. Pls keep ur fingers crossed for my course on Tane. I'll be praying every night that i could avoid a bad IB which is likely to happen if my piils are working properly. Any advice or encouragement or support always appreciated. Thank u.

Day 4

I just popped 2 capsules Roaccutane. Nothing special, my face is still as awful as yesterday. Feeling a little down today which i think has nothing to do with Roaccutane. No new whiteheads or blackheads or inflamed pimples, but i just noticed some of my old whiteheads are getting a bit harder to the touch but still non-inflamed. And my left knee ached a little when i got up this morning and and moved quite fast. My nose skin is a bit flakey , completely clueless about if it's cos of Roaccutane or the dryness of winter. Yes and I feel thirsty all the time, feels like i cant get enough of water down my throat. My body skin is still fine. It seems to me that Roaccutane is not working for me at the moment.

My face is full of red/dark spots left from acne and today i feel like i got the better of my self-consciousness so i went out to the pharmacist's to ask for La Roche Posay Active C Emulsion. I came across this stuff while checking on Madeline's log. She recommended it cos it helped her get rid of such stubborn dark spots. Good to give it a try- so i tell myself. Unfortunately they didn't have it in stock. The pharmacist didn't even know what hydroquinone cream is for. Sure as hell this lady doesn't qualify for a pharmacist. So all in all it looks like I dont have a good luck for things to go my way today which makes me a little down.

Day 4

I just popped 2 capsules Roaccutane. Nothing special, my face is still as awful as yesterday. Feeling a little down today which i think has nothing to do with Roaccutane. No new whiteheads or blackheads or inflamed pimples, but i just noticed some of my old whiteheads are getting a bit harder at the touch but still non-inflamed. And my left knee ached a little when i got up this morning and and moved quite fast. My nose skin is a bit flakey , completely clueless about if it's cos of Roaccutane or the dryness of winter. Yes and I feel thirsty all the time, feels like i cant get enough of water down my throat. My body skin is still fine. It seems to me that Roaccutane is not working for me at the moment.

My face is full of red/dark spots left from acne and today i feel like i got the better of my self-consciousness so i went out to the pharmacist's to ask for La Roche Posay Active C Emulsion. I came across this stuff while checking on Madeline's log. She recommended it cos it helped her get rid of such stubborn dark spots. Good to give it a try- so i tell myself. Unfortunately they didn't have it in stock. The pharmacist didn't even know what hydroquinone cream is for. Sure as hell this lady doesn't qualify for a pharmacist. So all in all it looks like I dont have a good luck for things to go my way today which makes me a little down.

Hey, I started on the 1st of January too! Seems like a kind of cool day to start, and makes it easier to keep track of what day we are on, haha.

Best of luck! Hope our courses go smoothly, I will definitely be checking your progress

hey!

good luck on your course! when i first started accutane my skin got oilier than normal but i think its because i stopped all topicals and my skin was always used to being controlled by some prescription. but i soon dried up so don't worry.

i know the feeling of having clear skin but then randomly going through periods of really bad skin. when i was on retin-a i would have clearish skin for a couple of weeks then breakout out of nowhere.

it kinda made me anxious for the next day bc i was afraid that i would break out. thats why i hope this accutane will put me at ease once and for all!

@Scamptress : Thanks, I'm glad to hear that i u started on the same day too. I believe we can be checking on each other's progress during the course. OO hope a smooth path is awaiting us cos the idea of a horrible initial breakout or of keeping breaking out every other week during the entire course is really freaking me out. Don't forget to pray...LOL :)

hey!

good luck on your course! when i first started accutane my skin got oilier than normal but i think its because i stopped all topicals and my skin was always used to being controlled by some prescription. but i soon dried up so don't worry.

i know the feeling of having clear skin but then randomly going through periods of really bad skin. when i was on retin-a i would have clearish skin for a couple of weeks then breakout out of nowhere.

it kinda made me anxious for the next day bc i was afraid that i would break out. thats why i hope this accutane will put me at ease once and for all!

Thanks for ur comforting words. Yeah it's really bad to keep going up and down like that. But the problem is double harder for me . I mean i am to far away from home, completely alone in a foreign country; friends from my country has been very nicely ignoring me lately. It's a criminal act if u ask me. It pains me so much. Well i guess i must carry on somehow. That's life.

I wish u all the best and keep ur hope up too cos that's what i'm doing...or at least trying :)

Day 5

Nothing much going on here. Last night i just noticed that my eyes got tired and were forcing me to close them a couple of times becos of the stinging feeling. well this actually happened at around 10:30 in the evening when i was reading for my exam. Before accutane I could barely feel asleep at 1 am let alone 10:30pm so i am supposed to give credit to Roaccutane then.

The deep cyst on my jawline broke yesterday and needless to say puss and blood and stuff came out from there but not all of them though. That's why it's still huge but better than it was 2 days ago. Today I can see 2 whiteheads( one on my right cheek and one near my upper lip) have become active, i mean they formed literally a white head on each of them, looks like the heads are forcing their ways out, but still non-inflamed. Yes and i was terrified after randomly touched the very part of my skin right under my left jaw and felt the toughness there. Ohh my goshhh it felt like dozens of small heads have come out. it felt like rash or something but not itchy at all. I hope it wont be something serious. I'm down on my knees praying :pray: .About the dryness i think it's not very pronounced the skin around my mouth is getting a bit flakey but with a bit moisturizer i can get it over. My back is a bit itchy esp at night time and my thirst is horrible esp when i am in bed trying to sleep.

That's it for today. I'm not going out today will stay home with my tedious reading.

Nice day to y'all guys.

Day 6

It's snowing nicely outside and i swear to the snow that my skin looked a bit better this morning after 2 days of giving up all types of cleansing gel i have, only with water. But I made a very bad move this morning, i needed to go out getting some cash from ATM so i decided to put on a bit liquid foundation L'oreal to hide my redness and dark spots. Everything was just fine with that thin layer on and I looked much better. But then when i got home and tried to get the foundation off my face with a baby oil and a tampon it felt like my skin was unpleasantly burning to the touch and it got immediately red- redness irritation?? Well it's not all over my face though, just the places where i have dark spots where i put on topical isotretinoin 2 times a day last 2 days. I suppose that's too much for my skin and that's why it reacted in protest. So my face now is a haven of dark spots and redness <<<-- a description for ur imagination. :doh:

La Roche Posay Active C I ordered online has arrived today too which made me feel a bit uplifted. I put it on those dark spots in an excited mood taking my irritated skin for granted. It turned out to be a catastrophe, my skin got redder and redder and i didn't know what to do to calm it down besides waiting for it to do so on its own and thank god it did. That's how my day's gone so far with accident after accident getting in the way.

I also started taking Vitamin C (1200 mg/day), Vitamin E (400 IU/day), Zinc (60mg/day), Vitamin complex B 2 days ago in the hope of a mild flare-up. Well frankly said my skin is still ok, no break-out yet, the huge cyst at my jawline is getting smaller, the 2 new whiteheads i talked about in previous post are drying up too. Just a small lump is rising up on my chin. My face is still oily esp on my nose, my lips are very dry and red, they look exactly like i'm wearing lipstick when i put on blistex to moisturise them. I got a bit flakey around my mouth. My body skin is still ok, but i keep putting on baby oil after every shower. Is it me imagining or it's true that everytime after putting on foundation and cleaning it off i see a new lump? Is that possible? Is my foundation infected with something or what?

Ahh I got a very strange dream last night. It sounds kinda rude but it keeps me laughing my butt out when thinking about it. Well I woke up in the middle of the night finding myself still laughing out loud cos I dreamed of a guy struggling to pee in the traditional way, but he couldn't do it , trying with all his might to release the tension and guess what it did get out but through his butt instead...haha queer dream. But then i realised that it was me feeling the urge to go pee that's why my body woke me up with that strange dream. haha.

Well that's it for today. I'll do some update later if something new about my accutane treatment is worth mentioning.

Day 7

I officially passed my first week mark today!!! Woohoo.. :)

Skin looks worse today, not zits related but in term of dark spots and redness. Maybe I should stop using La Roche Posay Active C cos it's doing no good here, even aggravating my redness and dark spots. I can even tell it stretched one dark spot near my upper lip even wider. Don't know if it's normal reaction by using the cream and i need to wait a little while to see the result? Can anyone who ever took an advantage of it tell me pls?

The good thing is this huge cyst on my jawline is flattening up pretty fast, right now it formed a scab on it and plenty of flakes of skin around the scab. Looks ugly but at least it's healing. Yeah and it looks tempting too, almost defeated my resistance against removing a scab several times. Hehe bu I got the better of it cos i want no more scarring or hyperpigmentation.

Skin looks so raw and gross. No significant changes or breakout yet again. Just that the area of my face near both of my ears is more populous with small heads ( don't know if they're black or white, but they're small), non-inflamed. Do I take it right that it's the so-called initial breakout? Can initial breakout simply be the appearance of non-inflamed white/black heads? If someone reads this pls give me a clue. Thanks.

Bout the side effects, lips are getting much worse, much drier than ever and really irritating. Eyes are the biggest problem. They are dry, bleary and stinging; the feeling is like the suffering from several-day lack of sleep. In the evening i get sleepy earlier than before taking Roaccutane. Everything else is still fine.

Hope some one will read this and give me some advice for the problems i listed up here. Thanks.

Well it's been a long time I haven't posted my progress due to both my laziness and the fact that I'm feeling down with my skin all the time.

However I'm already 2 months and 1 week into my course and have yet to see any significant improvements cos i still keep getting cysts , well not everyday, but every two weeks. It's funny how the skin looks better some days than other days, it keeps going up and down like that which is a really sad thing.

I just got recovered from a huge cyst 3 weeks ago and now here I am with another cyst on the upper part of my right cheek. One thing to mention though, this one is getting less inflamed and less red quite fast, like for 4 days. I mean mostly for me cysts often take atleast 2 weeks to push the gunk out and start to die down, provided that i need to apply a strong topical antibiotic on it every single day of these 2 weeks. This time, however, I dont know if i can attribute this luckiness to Accutane or it's just becos when i first saw it raising up i applied iced on it immediately and started taking ibuprofen for 2 days.

Well that's all i got for active zits. The complexion is not pretty. As i said it's going up and down, one day it looks better than others. I have tons of dark marks from previous acne too which seem to take forever to go away. Can i do anything to help with the dark marks?

Here are some pictures:

1/These two pics were taken 1-2 month before taking accutane. Back then I had 3-4 big cysts on both of my jawlines. The even complexion u see is thanks to foundation which i put on my face everyday when i want to go out. Actually if u look carefully u can see one of the cysts on my left jawline.

Pic 1

Pic 2

2/ This one was at the beginning of second month. I looked horrible, with kind of swollen eyes and chapped lips.

Pic 3

3/These are taken in the middle of second month, with the mentioned huge cyst and tons of dark spots. BTW please excuse the room.

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

4/This one was taken right when i'm free of that huge cyst:

Pic 7

post-91938-1236538112_thumb.jpg

post-91938-1236538112_thumb.jpg

Your Skin doesnt look terribly bad you know. You have dark skin so it conceals them much better than mine, which i tend to be more pale. Redness shows up much worse.!

Hi, I'm a 16 year old male, have moderately severe acne all around my face (mostly the beard and cheek area) It's my 7th day being on the drug and I'm having a lot of problems. The first 3-4 days I had an extremely dry skin which has now stopped which I thought was bad, until the 5th day where I woke up with 35 painful white heads above my lips and around my mouth YES 35!! I decided to pop them all with a sterilized needle which subsided the pain a little, but the following morning I woke up with another 30!! I can't go to school Let alone smile or open my mouth to eat because of the pain. I have woken up everyday including this morning with about 30 new painful small white heads. There is no other way to describe the pain I am in in any other way than fucking excruciating. I guess this is the 'initial breakout' but i literally don't know what to do with myself if this lasts any longer. Funnily enough the rest of my face has begun to clear up it is literally only the mouth area (which doesn't sound too bad but it is absolutely awful) I seriously need some help. If anyone can tell me how long this initial breakout will last because I have no idea what to do with myself. There's no way of getting rid of the problem around my mouth! I'm on 40mg a day of Ro Accutane. No other side effects other than slightly dry lips and skin. Literally have no idea what to do because I'm up half the night in so much pain, can't go out and have no social life at the moment. I can see why people get depressed on the drug .. it's from the fucking IB!!!!.

thanks for any help.