Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DM621

Here's to a CLEAR 2009

OMG... I JUST REALIZED WHY I BROKE OUT IN CYSTS.

I am so mad right now. So angry at myself for not realizing this sooner. In November I had my annual at the OBGYN.... She switched my BC to Ortho Tri Cylen Lo, since I was kind of thinking of getting off the pill and this has a lower dose of hormones or whateverrrr. UGH I wish my brain had been working that day and for the past few months. I never thought about the BC effecting my skin... Cuz back then it wasn't a real problem. Well.. Started the new pills... and HELLO CYSTIC ACNE. FINALLY.....TODAY I made this connection.. So I searched online to find MANY people with the same god damn problem from this pill. I AM SOOOOOO MAD NOW. I wish I could say I am relieved that I know why.... But what the hell. Dermatologists NEED to stop ignorning the fact that hormones play a huge part in acne with females. Why didn't my derm ask me what BC I was taking? Or if I had swiched recently? Why not try to figure out what is causing a SUDDEN CRAZY breakout rather than right away jumping to ACCUTANE??

I guess now, I am glad I am on the Accutane. It has helped clear up the damage that has already been done.. But..... do I stay on the accutane???? Now that I realized what has caused this? I mean I always have had break outs ... And I was on Doxy just last year.. So do I stay on it to end this cycle?? UGGGGGGH my mind is going crazy right now. Anyways. one thing is for sure I am getting the hell off this pill and back on JUST regular Ortho (which had been great in the past for me).

Now I am also thinking that hopefully getting back on my old pill will eliminate the cystic breakouts during my period week all together. Meaning this will hopefully be a smooth ride until the end of my course.. if i stay on. WHAT DO I DOOOOOOO

Hi Debbie!

i've been reading your log. you may be right about switching BC causing your breakouts but usually the pill doesn't fully adjust to your body until the 3rd or 4th pack. I noticed changes in my breakouts when i switched from Lutera (low dose) to Trinessa (generic ortho tri). I'm only on my 2nd pack and my breakouts seem to cycle in with the pills (i get more breakouts with the white andlight blue ones, then i get clear on the dark blue and better the week of the sugar pills). I'm waiting it out just because i dont want to have to switch to something new and have my body readjust all over again. Hopefully your body will adjust to the hormones soon... that's usually how it works. Hope this helps. And way to go with the Accutane... highly considering it myself. Post more pics soon :) good lucK!

Here's the thing though... I am on month 4 and my breakouts didn't just change slightly, i got the worst acne I had had in about 9 years... Plus I haven't had cysts in years also.. and this acne consisted of mostly cysts. I read that Ortho Lo has higher progesterone levels and thats why it can cause acne in some. My other pill, just Ortho (not low dose) I have been on since I was 18 (kinda why I wanted to get off it now that I am 23, just feels like a long time...) and I had no problems like this.

Oh well, no use in having regrets or wishing I wasn't such an idiot! lol I think I am going to ride out the Accutane... I think no matter what, acne is something that needs to be put in the past.

Here's the thing though... I am on month 4 and my breakouts didn't just change slightly, i got the worst acne I had had in about 9 years... Plus I haven't had cysts in years also.. and this acne consisted of mostly cysts. I read that Ortho Lo has higher progesterone levels and thats why it can cause acne in some. My other pill, just Ortho (not low dose) I have been on since I was 18 (kinda why I wanted to get off it now that I am 23, just feels like a long time...) and I had no problems like this.

Oh well, no use in having regrets or wishing I wasn't such an idiot! lol I think I am going to ride out the Accutane... I think no matter what, acne is something that needs to be put in the past.

Yea, that does seem strange. Hormones make everything so difficult! I'm on pack 2 of Trinessa and praying that it doesnt get worse... I can't wait to start Accutane! I agree with you, come on now, we're already in our 20's and still breaking out! That's so uncalled for! I keep telling myself i can't wait for the day when all i have to put on is mascara and lip gloss lol! Good luck!!!

I can't wait for that day either!!!! We should be out and about, enjoying the wonderful things that come with being twentysomethings!! Good luck if you start Accutane!

I can't wait for that day either!!!! We should be out and about, enjoying the wonderful things that come with being twentysomethings!! Good luck if you start Accutane!

Sorry to hear about the accident. :(

So, i've got to thinking about your experience with switching BC... I think this happens to a lot of people either when they switch or get of BC completely. I've been doing tons of research about BC pills... There's so many to choose from, its hard to know what will work for you! I'm thinking i'm going to switch, right now i have these painful large whiteheads on my cheeks, when before the only place i used to break out was my jaw line. I really want a good BC before i start accutane b/c i dont want to be done with accutane then continue to break out because of the pill... this is so frustrating. Are you still thinking of changing pills? How's the Accutane journey coming?

So, i've got to thinking about your experience with switching BC... I think this happens to a lot of people either when they switch or get of BC completely. I've been doing tons of research about BC pills... There's so many to choose from, its hard to know what will work for you! I'm thinking i'm going to switch, right now i have these painful large whiteheads on my cheeks, when before the only place i used to break out was my jaw line. I really want a good BC before i start accutane b/c i dont want to be done with accutane then continue to break out because of the pill... this is so frustrating. Are you still thinking of changing pills? How's the Accutane journey coming?

I am def. going to change back, but I am not sure when. Just so happens my OBGYN is out all week... ugh!! lol It's hard to think about switching, I wouldn't advise it unless you are unhappy with your pill, and considering you're already 2 packs in, maybe stick it out?? I am wondering if Accutane kind of cancels out the effect the pill might have on your skin?? Although I did still break out the week before my period.

My skin is kinda blah right now. No cysts though so that is a huuuuge improvement. Just getting a few hurtful bumps here and there. I also ordered Green Cream level 3 and 6 samples since I read so many people raving about this product for red marks. I am excited.

Question for people who have had cysts --- When they first go away, It seems I am left with a deep scar (not red mark type).. Does the skin eventually repair itself? At least a bit over the next few months? I know I will be left with some small permanent indentations, I have one from a long time ago.. But I mean initially, like after they are injected, is it worse??

I've been on a high hormone level BC for about a year now, and I hate it. I'm always so on edge and it gives me anxiety! I just realized it was causing me these issues a few months ago and I want to switch but haven't b/c I thought I wouldn't be allowed to on Accutane. Do you know if they will allow you to change BC when on Accutane. If so, that would be SO awesome! Thanks for posting your pics, definitely gives me more hope! :)

I've been on a high hormone level BC for about a year now, and I hate it. I'm always so on edge and it gives me anxiety! I just realized it was causing me these issues a few months ago and I want to switch but haven't b/c I thought I wouldn't be allowed to on Accutane. Do you know if they will allow you to change BC when on Accutane. If so, that would be SO awesome! Thanks for posting your pics, definitely gives me more hope! :)

I think you can switch. I figure the derm. doesn't know what i talk about with my obgyn, so he wouldn't know if I switch my pill... But does stuff like that show up in your blood test, like let's say I decide to just go off it, would they know?? Hmm I don't know these things lol

I figure as long as you don't have risk factors of getting pregnant for the next few months I would think it would be alright?

Janie - I hate that they say just give it 2 more packs! Don't they know that means 2 more months of breakouts?!

FYI about cysts.. I researched my own question from above and read that the skin does grow back, but it takes months and I may be left with a small indentation.. So I won't really know what my skin is going to look like for another year I bet! But, I could deal with this... As long as there are no more pimples :) OH and got my hair done! No problems, and I told my hair dresser that I was on the meds and she didn't say my hair was too dry or anything... And it doesn't look damaged either (but then again my hair is pretty short)

I think you can switch. I figure the derm. doesn't know what i talk about with my obgyn, so he wouldn't know if I switch my pill... But does stuff like that show up in your blood test, like let's say I decide to just go off it, would they know?? Hmm I don't know these things lol

That's true, I guess I could just not tell my derm that I switched. I don't think it would show up in a blood test, I'm pretty sure all they are looking for is to check that it's not hurting your liver and stuff? I'm not positive on that one though.

Also, what is green cream? I've seen it in a few other posts, but I have no clue what it is. Do you need a prescription for it?

Day 40

So I seem to be having a bit of a breakout. Might be due to the start of green cream or maybe due to the fact that I decided not to listen to my derm about completely lowering my dose. I went down for a week and then decided for the weekend to bump it back up to 50mg each day. Why can't I ever just listen?? I am not very good at that...

As for my BCP...I am waiting to hear back from my derm on switching me... So I am still currently taking the Ortho Lo. Bad idea? I don't know.. but right now I am cyst free. We'll see in 2 weeks when I get my period again. To be honest, the other spots don't really bother me... as long as they're not cysts!!!

My side effects seem to be less noticable, I am guessing because of the lower dose.

Since I am on such a low dose this month I decided to kick in the red mark treatments. Hence, the Green Cream.. I ordered two samples of level 3 and 6. I am starting with level 3 until I use it up then will switch to the Level 6. I also use ACV on my face at night as a toner. I have found this to work well in the past and I def. think it's making a difference. It seems to make my skin exfolliate faster and makes my red marks flake....which is a good thing :)

I was also thinking of getting an AHA lotion (haven't ever used this before).. Just to use at night. Perhaps once my dose goes back up I won't be able to use all these things but as I said earlier.. I am not a good listener!

Oh yeah, also I am alternating between egg white masks with lemon juice and the green cream nightly. So far I have been doing this only for about 5 days.. I am really trying to attack those red marks!! I totally understand there is no quick fix to these marks.. but if there's ways to speed up the process than why not!

Lynnae - I've read that you only need a prescription for Green Cream Level 9. To be honest, I don't even know a lot about it. I did a little research online, mostly just read reviews... It's supposed to be great for red marks so I thought I'd give it a try. I just ordered them off ebay. We'll see I guess!

keep us posted how the green cream works for you! i've been considering it for my red marks. i have sooo many. which i think makes me think i have worst acne then i really do when i see them, glad to hear you are cyst free. stick in there beautiful <3

Day 40

Oh yeah, also I am alternating between egg white masks with lemon juice and the green cream nightly. So far I have been doing this only for about 5 days.. I am really trying to attack those red marks!! I totally understand there is no quick fix to these marks.. but if there's ways to speed up the process than why not!

I've heard of egg white masks, but not with lemon juice. What does it do, and do you like it?

Hi Debbie...Just wanted to encourage you to stick with the Accutane and hang in there...I've also had thoughts of coming off it (went to a wedding last weekend and was constantly having to go to the bathroom to check on flaking skin!!! - thought to myself, "stuff this...is it worth it?"...I can't even enjoy my life!), and was also thinking "maybe if I'd done this, or done that, I wouldn't have had the acne"...but bottom line is: WE WOULD HAVE! We have the type of skin that is prone to it and this (hopefully) will be the cure. I am convinced that BCP's have added to my problem over the years (messing with our normal hormone levels - not good!)...so once I'm done with my 6 month Tane course I am never taking the BCP again. Still steering away from moisturising (except around my mouth where the flaking is a real problem), but otherwise nothing except cleansing with my Clinique Mild Soap AM and PM. My skin is pretty dry, and I haven't had the small pimples that I usually get, however I have been getting ~2-3 large cystic type pimples per week which I never really used to get :( Which sux. I am now on day 25. Have my derm appt in 1.5 wks. Good luck and keep smiling. We'll get there!!!

hey from what i could make out in your pictures it looks like yours skins getting smoother! congratulations on a small victory in this long overdue battle :) i hope everything continues to get better for you and im excited to see how those redmark treatments work out. keep us posted!

Debbie!! I am such a bad acne.org friend!!! I just now logged on and saw your epiphany. That is so fucked up about the BCPs, I can't believe that it could do that much damage. Sometimes I wish I was a guy because then I wouldn't have to deal with obnoxious fluctuating hormones every month. I don't know, I would stay on accutane just to get it under control because you likely won't have any acne in the future if you stick with treatment. Plus, what if the birth control wasn't the sole contribution to the state of your skin?

So 40 days in, wow! I think I really started to see improvement around that time, what a relief it is to be able to focus on red marks!! I really like the green cream, it has a nice scent and a little goes a long way. I have been using the level 3 about every other night and the little sample has lasted me over a month already. Didn't you get the MaMa lotion? If so, are you still using it? I'll have to give the ACV a try, I'm all for anything that will fade these MF red marks. I have a turmeric mask on right now, lol. It seems to help too.

I am going to vegas this weekend and staying in a hotel room with 4 other people!!! I NEVER would have been able to do that before but now that my skin is clear and I just have some PIHs I suppose I don't really care if they see me without makeup...at least briefly when I get out of the shower haha. It is amazing to feel like a normal human being! All hail Accutane!!!

Hey Debbie

Sounds like things are starting to improve. I had the same problem with the birth control pills. I switched around September of last year, and it wreaked havoc on my skin. It was awful, I had enormous cysts...much worse than I had ever had in my life. Very traumatizing, which is what inevitably led me to accutane. Now that I've been on the BC a while, my skin is about settled. The accutane has certainly helped this too. Well I hope everything else is going well for you!!

Reina :D

DAY 49.

So I don't know what is going on with my skin. I feel like it's at a standstill. I can see the red marks are certainly lasting longer already than they normally would before accutane. However I am still working on them with the various treatments I listed above and also I just bought a bottle of that AHA lotion and I am going to start using it tonight.

The green cream does seem to be drying out my face a bit (even using it every other night and level 3). I am going to discontinue the ACV since I got the AHA lotion... .Right? I don't think it would be a good idea to use both of those.

Also, I was getting sick of the Aquaphor and got some Carmex over the weekend. Loving it! I love how it has that cool minty effect. AND I decided to stop taking my BCP. Yup. Just thought it would be best to get off it and stay off it for good. I have been wanting to stop for a while now, I just feel like i have been on it for a really long time.

Anyways skin is dry - duh, acne is still active but not much going on there. I'll post a picture after my next appt which is coming up in 2 weeks.

ReinaMae, have you had cysts since Sept. ? How are your marks from them looking now? I believe the last cyst I had was a good month ago so I know the marks are going to take a while, they are just so obvious.

Giselle - you're the worst!! haha Hope Vegas was awesome. That is a seriously big deal that you are doing an overnight thing. Every time my friends are making plans and it involves sleeping over somewhere I am like no way!! And no MaMa lotion for me, I just got the green cream so far. That turmeric mask idea just scares me.. that stuff is way too yellow!

mattysays - thanks for the words of encouragement! I will have to post a new picture soon, but it seems that even with the acne gone, the red marks make it looks like it it still there!!

94020249 --- You make suuuuch a good point when you said "..but bottom line is: WE WOULD HAVE!" Reading that actually really helped me when I was thinking about quitting. Thanks so much. I am ready for this to be over for good.

MissAngie - I read that people put lemon juice in the mix, I don't know why, I just do what I read hahaha and I don't know if it makes a difference with or without it but i DO love the mask!! It is def. something I will continue to use even after accutane. It makes my skin so soft!

im on day 39 and I just wanted to stop by and sayy hiii and hopefullly clear skin is on its waaaaay for both of us!!!!

hi, im here to ask a few questions

how did your acne get worse?

did it get worse like in a month's time or so?

what are the signs that you find before your acne got worse to a point that you have to take accutane?

i would appreciated a lot if you can answer my questions.

DAY 68??

Wow! I haven't updated in a while!!

Okay... So I went to my 2 month appt the other day.. My derm wanted me to continue alternating between 10/40mg but I basically begged him to switch it back to the full dose I was originally on.. 50 mg a day. So I am baaaackkk. Back to super dry face and lips, I def. didn't miss this lol. But I CANNOOOOOOTTT be on this in July.

I am currently in the process of planning a backpacking trip to Europe with my boyfriend... Yeah, I got back together with my ex whom I had broken up with in the beginning of all this. I think with the whole acne thing going on I just couldn't deal... Like there was no way I wanted to go see his fam, or stay at his apartment and have people see me like that.. I never minded if he saw me but I just didn't feel comfortable in front of other people. But now, things are finally calming down so I feel much better and much happier :)

So that brings me to the status of my skin.. It's soooo weird. Like just last night I had like 5 inflamed zits ... Now today, they are practically gone. It seems like I have good days and bad days. Sometimes my skin looks a mess still, and sometimes it looks practically clear. So I haven't stopped completely breaking out yet, but again---no cysts!!! Red marks are slowly fading too!!! I LOVEEEEEE the AHA stuff I started using. I noticed a huge turn around in my skin since I started using that stuff. I still am getting some joint pains, but they don't stop me from exercising. It's mainly my ankles. Like if I sit too long or when I get out of bed it takes a little while and walking around until they stop hurting.

Hmmm... Also, have to be careful making out :lol: My boyfriend's scruff left my cheek burning and super dry. Still super thirsty all the time... Have to put lotion on every night.. I think that the whole lifestyle change is my biggest complaint at the moment. Having to spend so much time basically taking care of myself is just annoying. If I skip a night of putting lotion on I find dry patches or little bumps on my skin or hands. Also... when I sleep at my boyfriend's I have to make sure I get up earlier than everyone and put on makeup. Sooooo annoying!

So overall... I am much happier. Each time my skin makes some progress I just want more and more. I will def. post some pictures this week too... but the pictures don't really show how much improvements have been made.. Since the redmarks are still there it still looks like acne. But I will post them anyways. Hope everyone is doing great !! Happy Easter!

Modik --

My acne got worse because it became more frequent and really the worst part was that I started developing cysts. At first it was under my jaw and on my neck so I didn't pay much attention to it and didn't think it was a big deal. I am not sure how it eventually got as bad as it did but the cysts just spread up to my cheeks more near my ears. It was basically all within one month. I remember going out in November with friends and being fine and then around December I just stopped going out.. So it didn't take much time to get from ehhh to terrible. Once I had cysts that were hanging around for a long time and were coming more frequently my Derm said Accutane was my best chance of fixing it.

So you have had severe acne from high school to college?

But seems like you have clear skin in your photos!

Were the photos taken before you had your severe acne in high school?

Hi Debbie!

I just started Accutane today, yay! I've been reading your log for awhile, along with so many others, just to get an idea of what life will be like during Accutane. Thank you for posting your sucesses and discouragements and all your tips! I'm glad things are starting to get better!!

DAY 68??

Wow! I haven't updated in a while!!

Okay... So I went to my 2 month appt the other day.. My derm wanted me to continue alternating between 10/40mg but I basically begged him to switch it back to the full dose I was originally on.. 50 mg a day. So I am baaaackkk. Back to super dry face and lips, I def. didn't miss this lol. But I CANNOOOOOOTTT be on this in July.

I am currently in the process of planning a backpacking trip to Europe with my boyfriend... Yeah, I got back together with my ex whom I had broken up with in the beginning of all this. I think with the whole acne thing going on I just couldn't deal... Like there was no way I wanted to go see his fam, or stay at his apartment and have people see me like that.. I never minded if he saw me but I just didn't feel comfortable in front of other people. But now, things are finally calming down so I feel much better and much happier :)

So that brings me to the status of my skin.. It's soooo weird. Like just last night I had like 5 inflamed zits ... Now today, they are practically gone. It seems like I have good days and bad days. Sometimes my skin looks a mess still, and sometimes it looks practically clear. So I haven't stopped completely breaking out yet, but again---no cysts!!! Red marks are slowly fading too!!! I LOVEEEEEE the AHA stuff I started using. I noticed a huge turn around in my skin since I started using that stuff. I still am getting some joint pains, but they don't stop me from exercising. It's mainly my ankles. Like if I sit too long or when I get out of bed it takes a little while and walking around until they stop hurting.

Hmmm... Also, have to be careful making out :lol: My boyfriend's scruff left my cheek burning and super dry. Still super thirsty all the time... Have to put lotion on every night.. I think that the whole lifestyle change is my biggest complaint at the moment. Having to spend so much time basically taking care of myself is just annoying. If I skip a night of putting lotion on I find dry patches or little bumps on my skin or hands. Also... when I sleep at my boyfriend's I have to make sure I get up earlier than everyone and put on makeup. Sooooo annoying!

So overall... I am much happier. Each time my skin makes some progress I just want more and more. I will def. post some pictures this week too... but the pictures don't really show how much improvements have been made.. Since the redmarks are still there it still looks like acne. But I will post them anyways. Hope everyone is doing great !! Happy Easter!

Modik --

My acne got worse because it became more frequent and really the worst part was that I started developing cysts. At first it was under my jaw and on my neck so I didn't pay much attention to it and didn't think it was a big deal. I am not sure how it eventually got as bad as it did but the cysts just spread up to my cheeks more near my ears. It was basically all within one month. I remember going out in November with friends and being fine and then around December I just stopped going out.. So it didn't take much time to get from ehhh to terrible. Once I had cysts that were hanging around for a long time and were coming more frequently my Derm said Accutane was my best chance of fixing it.