Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who understands the Emotional and psychological effects of your acne the best

For me it is my cousin. She is like an older sister to me (China only allow 1 child a family so we cousins are very close). She has perfect flawless skin herself but she understands my suffering! She has seen my skin from all angles and under all kinds of light but she has never once questioned me about my skin. When I am with her I feel I have normal skin! I dont know how but she understands that I feel embaressed when people talk about my skin, she has saved me from embaressment many times. Whenever people ask about my skin she quickly changes the topic.

Who is your person?

I don't have any one in real life, all I have is myself. No one would understand if I told them, not even my parents. They just make me feel worse.

And I know it's not good, but I'm the type of person who bottles everything up. And then... I just.. explode. At a moment when I can't handle it anymore, I breakdown.

But it's still great to have the Org. I feel like I can relate to people here, and it's nice to have someone know what you're going through. I couldn't ever talk to anyone about my skin in real life... I'd be so embarrassed and ashamed and everything. My sister is a year younger than me, and she kind of understands what I'm going through, but we don't talk about it and she continues to pick on me. I wish I could have sometime to talk to about my problems, but like I said, I'm too ashamed and embarrassed and kind of scared.

=D I'm so happy for you. I bet you feel amazing every time you're with her.

But for me, it's myself. I have only mild acne on my forehead (I had moderate last year, thank God it went down) and I just have to keep reminding myself to be confident, that people really do look past the acne.

I've only had 3 instances where people asked me of my acne and here is how it went.

1. This guy who LIKES me (told me a billion times) said, "You know, you'd look so much prettier without pimples"

What I did? I kicked his balls. =) That didn't stop him from telling me every now and then though (I guess his package was too small to feel the kick??)

2. This genuinely caring nice old man gave me and some other people in the room some "acne clearing treatment" that I did NOT use. But I didn't get mad (just a bit embarassed) because he was truly trying to help.

3. This little 7 year old girl said, "You have have red spots on your face...like my sister" and yes, I was embarrassed, but thankfully, the mother told her to be quiet.

=D I'm so happy for you. I bet you feel amazing every time you're with her.

But for me, it's myself. I have only mild acne on my forehead (I had moderate last year, thank God it went down) and I just have to keep reminding myself to be confident, that people really do look past the acne.

I've only had 3 instances where people asked me of my acne and here is how it went.

1. This guy who LIKES me (told me a billion times) said, "You know, you'd look so much prettier without pimples"

What I did? I kicked his balls. =) That didn't stop him from telling me every now and then though (I guess his package was too small to feel the kick??)

2. This genuinely caring nice old man gave me and some other people in the room some "acne clearing treatment" that I did NOT use. But I didn't get mad (just a bit embarassed) because he was truly trying to help.

3. This little 7 year old girl said, "You have have red spots on your face...like my sister" and yes, I was embarrassed, but thankfully, the mother told her to be quiet.

Wow you are so lucky, you only had 3 instances where people asked about your acne. I have had so many. I get asked about my skin like everyday.

I don't have any one in real life, all I have is myself. No one would understand if I told them, not even my parents. They just make me feel worse.

And I know it's not good, but I'm the type of person who bottles everything up. And then... I just.. explode. At a moment when I can't handle it anymore, I breakdown.

But it's still great to have the Org. I feel like I can relate to people here, and it's nice to have someone know what you're going through. I couldn't ever talk to anyone about my skin in real life... I'd be so embarrassed and ashamed and everything. My sister is a year younger than me, and she kind of understands what I'm going through, but we don't talk about it and she continues to pick on me. I wish I could have sometime to talk to about my problems, but like I said, I'm too ashamed and embarrassed and kind of scared.

I know what you mean. My younger brother (just turned 14) started getting acne awhile ago (he used to insult me about mine so for a while i felt really vindicated but i know that in the coming years it's going to get even worse & make him miserable and now i wish i could just take it away) and it's progressively getting worse, he's following the exact same path that my acne did, at the same age and its the same type and everything. So now i know for sure that my skin is genetic. I really want to talk to him about it and give him somebody to vent with, but i'm too embarrassed and i don't know how he would react....would he hit me or get angry or burst into tears??? idk :confused:

I don't talk about it to anyone. I'll talk openly about all the other disgusting bodily issues that come with being a teenage girl (periods, shaving, being stinky, etc :lol:) but when it comes to acne, I'm completely silent. I don't even say anything like "Oh, I have such a huge zit, I have to pop it". It's kind of a "if I don't talk about it, maybe it won't matter as much", and the last thing I want to do is draw attention to my acne by talking about it! But it's kind of lonely going through it alone, because it's my main body hang-up...so I guess that's why I joined this board.

It's not as big of an issue for me anymore, so I don't really talk to anybody about it. My sister on occassion, but honestly nobody besides my little cousin when he was 3 or 4 has said something about my acne. He's just a kid and can't be blamed.

I do feel like this place is wonderful because if I happen to have a horrible skin day, there are several people I could talk to.

I get sooooo down about my acne. I had pretty clear skin for a few years (i'm 36 now) and thought my acne days were over. Then out of nowhere it suddenly erupted a few months ago. I do talk about it though - i find it helps, but mostly just to close friends. It's almost like i want to tell people so that THEY know that 'I' know i have bad skin!!! Some new friends have never seen me with bad skin yet - when they see me they will probably be shocked (although i'm quite good with make-up - though it's still lumpy and noticable). For this i feel embarrassed and ashamed and ugly and all of those things........BUT......

......I think if you can be honest and open about how you feel people understand. It's about being able to show your vulnerablility and generally, good people - the kind you want in your life, will understand and be there for you. When the spots are on your own face you see them a thousand times more than anyone else does. I know if i see someone with acne i never think it looks as bad as i see my own - and 'I' have acne!!!

This probably doesn't help much - i should try to remember my own advice but i am the same as everyone else with acne. I get so upset i cry until i can't cry anymore......and like i just don't know what to do with myself!!! I don't want to die so i have to go through this time and hope it will get better. I just feel lucky that i have some lovely friends, from all walks of life who genuinely love me for who i am, regardless of if i have acne or not.....and i think that is true, people don't care. Ask yourself if you would stop loving someone just because they have acne??? It's what's on the inside that really counts.....and the people who can't see through this aren't worth knowing!

my sister :) shes so understanding its brilliant, my boyfriend and best mate are really cool about it too, some of my friends have bit of acne so its not a touchy subject.

like we all went to see santa at christmas and asked each of us what we would like and i just said

CLEAR SKIN PLEAAAASSEEE haha

none,my mum even said my face looks crappy like from a burn all the time,sometimes i scrutinized my face in the mirror and felt good before i walked up to my mum,but the result still was like,i wonder why your face looks like this!i cant help but got a smoke to release my stress!

I'm not quite sure I have anyone that does really. I don't have any friends with the same predicament, so it'd be hard for any of them to empathize. Plus, I don't really like talking to anyone about it - though I probably should. Keeping all of these emotions bottled-up all the time probably isn't too healthy.

Pretty much all my girlfriends and gay friends have comforted me during some epic breakdown about my acne. I'm kind of a drama queen.

I've never been able to open up about this problem to any straight men, though. I just feel like they won't be attracted to me anymore if they see me as anything but perfect, even though I know that is completely stupid. I mean, they're human, too, as far I know.

My worst acne years no one really got it, I was all on my lonesome.

Everyone was really impatient and said I was so dramatic and I should

get over it.

And now that it's over, my older sister (who criticized me the most) has

skin problems and is all 'oh I know how bad you felt now'. But whatever,

I'm not gonna hold a grudge, she didn't understand, and I loves her.

I am proud to say my boyfriend.

He is also the best influence on me in regards to my acne. Even though my mother also suffered/suffers from acne, she sometimes goads me into picking ones that I don't yet feel the need to pick, and it ends up stressing me out more, making me worry of how much worse that spot will look the next day.

Ken, on the other hand, will stop from even the smallest signs of picking, such as face scratching, or pulling of little pieces of dried skin. It annoys me at the time, but I really appreciate it overall. (: It's nice to have a hand to slap your wrist when you can't do it yourself, no matter how much you want to.

The folks on this lovely forum. :wub:

I wrote that too because I rarely come across understanding people in real life.