Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ComplexIssues

Refining the Only Water Regimen

I have tried the only water regimen in the past for a few months..Usually what happens is after awhile, my face gets dried out, there's flakiness, there's "stuff" in my pores which looks like bits of excess sebum/dead skin cells/whatever, and I'm prone to get seborrheic dermatitis because yeast feeds off that...Obviously I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin, but from a natural/holistic standpoint, what did people with my skin type do back in the centuries before cleansers and moisturizers were invented? Were they just f_cked or did they somehow not encounter these problems because the water wasn't like tap water, or that something in their diet, environment prevented problems like flakiness and dead skin build up from happening? As much as I'm inclined to do what is absolutely best to make sure my skin is well, I can't but think that washing my skin just to prevent acne is somehow a co-dependency I'd rather not have..I mean people who already have good skin who just want to wash their skin for fun are fine, cause it's not like they depend on it to maintain good skin...but people with acne seemed stuck within a cycle...I've tried modifying the water only regimen by employing moisturizer to see if that helped and the results are: it helps with the dryness, but there's still some form of flakiness/dead skin buildup/"gunk" in the pores...Maybe the answer is simply that people with my skin type HAVE to use some type of cleansing agent (natural or synthetic) to stay clear, that there's no other way around it. Or maybe there's another answer that I haven't figured out yet...From what I've read from others who use the water only regimen, many have encountered similar side-effects like the aforementioned...and maybe they stopped the regimen. How about those who stuck it out? Did the skin somehow adapt and the problems went away? Anybody been on the water only regimen for at least a year or two?

I'm kinda dealing with the same thing. I've been on water only and I have no new breakouts and my skintone is starting to look natural again but the dryness/flakiness has been excessive and I have the same "gunk" problem on parts of my face if you look very close in certain lighting. I still have a long way to go but I realize it's a long term fix, unlike using products forever.

How long have you gone on just using water? I think it takes a while for the skin to be able to deal with flakiess/gunk on it's own after discontinuing products. Maybe even upwards of 6-12 months to fully "recover". Right now I'm just washing once every 2-3 days and letting my skin "rest" in between and it's been good so far, I can see it really helping in a few months time when my acid mantle is fully healed and my skin can deal with dryness on its own.

A bunch of people who've done this seem to have reduced flakes after 2-3 weeks but like I said it'll probably take much longer to be fully healed. It's recommended to not even wash daily when starting this regimen though. The water alone can still be drying and cause flakes so maybe try only washing every few days. It could also depend on the type of water. I've been using filtered and it's shown to be less drying without all the chlorine tap water can have.

I've realized my skin really doesn't need products on it so I'm gonna hang in there for the long haul and I'll be occasionally writing on the "caveman regimen" thread to update the progress, so maybe you can check that out. I'm sure other people who've been on it longer can give you insight as well.

I've been on the water only regimen for about a week...In the past I've tried it for a few months, but then I started to get Seborrheic dermatitis...But I didn't use a moisturizer at the time..Maybe that would have made a difference...I dunno, I'm still thinking whether or not I should continue using water or a cleanser, I'll give it about two weeks and see if my face is worse or better...

I'm like you and have more than just acne going on with my skin. My skin is actually "broken" and I have to do some kinds of treatment to help it out ... but I no longer use acne topicals or cleansers. I have acne and psoriasis ... my dead skin layers build up much faster than in a normal person ... washing my face only when nessassary using oldfashioned mild lye soap and before bed I use a clearwave blue/red light box for 10 minutes and it has been pretty good helping the acne clear up.

You might try putting T-gel shampoo on your skin for 5 minutes only on the dermatitis affected areas and wash off with luke warm water. Do it for just a few days and stop for a week and try again if you are still having problems. Stop when your skin is clear or if it's irritating.

I know what a pain it is to HAVE to maintain some kind of regime instead of just letting things go and letting nature do it's thing -- but when you have "broken" skin you really cant. Diseases and disorders won't heal themselves as much as we wish it could. Acne can go away in some people without doing anything ... but it makes it much more difficult when you have more than one skin disorder. Washing with just water may help acne, but your dermatitis needs an anitinflamatory or an antifungal to get it under control. It is kinda like people with allergies -- they can't just get their immune system to stop overreacting to nature. Our skin in a way is overreacting to "something" ... wish I knew what that somethng was -- but whatever it is, we can't let things go or else it just gets worse, not better.

TNgirl,

sorry to hear about your psoriasis...It sounds like your condition is under control so that's great.

It also sounds like you only wash your face with a mild soap every few days, but otherwise practice a no washing regimen? Are you currently experiencing any flakiness/dead skin buildup and clear of acne?

It kind of sounds like despite our other skin problems, the MORE often we wash, apply topicals, the MORE reactive the skin gets, like there's a direct correlation...but for psoriasis and dermatitis, do you only get flareups from stress or is it that when you don't wash your face the dead skin activates this kind of response? Because I'm hoping to eliminate this problem by applying a proper moisturizer...Let me know what you think.

TNgirl,

sorry to hear about your psoriasis...It sounds like your condition is under control so that's great.

It also sounds like you only wash your face with a mild soap every few days, but otherwise practice a no washing regimen? Are you currently experiencing any flakiness/dead skin buildup and clear of acne?

It kind of sounds like despite our other skin problems, the MORE often we wash, apply topicals, the MORE reactive the skin gets, like there's a direct correlation...but for psoriasis and dermatitis, do you only get flareups from stress or is it that when you don't wash your face the dead skin activates this kind of response? Because I'm hoping to eliminate this problem by applying a proper moisturizer...Let me know what you think.

I'm pretty sure this skin disorder isn't curable, but it is managable. You might try dovonex ointment as a moisturizer ... but I think it is only by rx. And only use it before bed and only on the dermatitis affected area cuz it is kinda goopy.

I wash my face only when necessary and leave it alone as much as I can. It feels like a dangerous balancing game sometimes, lol ... especially when my school holiday is over and I'll be putting makeup on everyday again soon.

The psoriasis will flare up if I go too long without washing. That is because the skin cells die much faster than normal cells and if I don't wash them off they build up and create patches of red scaley inflamed grossness. There is a stress factor too ... because psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder -- any time I'm worried or nervous or angry it will affect my skin ... and it makes sense cuz the skin is part of our immune system. When something is broken in your skin cells (I think it has to do with the G phase checkpoints in the cell cycle) then when your immune system is stressed, the skin will react like a crying child. I know it doesn't happen in normal people (for those that love to claim easy solutions) ... it just happens in people with something broken in their cells' physiology.

Anyway, to calm my psoriasis I used a 50/50 mix of a vit D3 converter and a strong rx steroid cream .... dovonex + clobetasol. I mix the 2 in an unused contact lens container and apply it only to the affected areas when it is inflammed. I use a small paint brush to apply it (very thinly) and wash the brush each time I used it. I'll apply it after showering, only 3-4 days in a row and stop treating it for a week.

The steroid cream is kinda like acne topicals because it can cause more problems then they solve if you over use them. Yes it will get rid of the psoriasis (and dermatitis) but only temporary, and if you use the stuff too long it will thin your skin and it will look like it is about to peel ... wrinkly and veiny like an old person ... it is hard to describe. I've read that the skin will go back to 'normal' (normal for you that is) once you stop using the cream, but I wouldn't wanna find out in the first place so I only use small amounts for as short a time as possible ... the derm said you could use it up to 2 weeks on your body but I've never had to use it that long ... 4 days has been my max (2 days is the norm for my face) and then you stop once it has subsided. I usually stop using the steroid cream once it is just barely there and then only use the dovonex ointment in the mild stage and that seems to clear it up. The psoriasis is clear for a few months after I treat it and then it comes back.

There isn't a cure, there is only mild management. Believe me when I say I've read and read till my eyes hurt trying to find ways to cure my skin ... but so far (holisticaly anyway) there isn't much out there. I've just now started using heliocare suppliment (2nd day) to see if that helps keep the psoriasis at bay for longer than a few months. I want to eliminate having to use the creams. It will take a few months to find out if it helps. I hate having to be patient ! lol

TNgirl,

Thanks for that indepth description of your condition and how you deal with it...I've struggled with dermatitis over the last few years..sometimes it's seborrheic dermatitis, other times it may be contact dermatitis...I recently had a contact dermatitis breakout in areas I've never had before, which I think was caused by a combination of bp irritation, cold weather exposure, and over washing...I've been prescribed a steroid cream to use 3x daily for 10 days, and then x1 daily for the subsequent two weeks (3 weeks total). Right now I'm about 90% clear and I certainly don't want to overuse it..I may give it another week and then stop too...My skin is sensitive so I have to be careful not to aggravate it. With acne, it further complicates the problem...It's like if I wash too much I may aggravate my skin, but if I don't wash enough, hell can break loose...Right now I think my skin has become allergic to bp..but I'm not sure..Anyway the next three weeks will be spent on facial repair so I can become "socially compliant" again, staying inside the house is torturous.

Do you have to use makeup when you go to school? A lot of girls look better without makeup..Or do you have a lot of red marks you are trying to cover up?

Yeah give the steriod cream a break ... I would try mixing that cream with something like an ointment -- it won't dilute the effects, but for me it seems to be less stressing on my skin if that makes any sense. I try ta learn from others before trying anything ... and there are plenty of horror stories out there about steroid creams.

I know what you mean about having to be careful not to aggravate one condition by treating the other. It is a learning thing I guess. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking a tight rope trying to balance it all and keep everything from getting out of control. I would love to give up everything and just not care, but I know that wouldn't help. AND I'd like to spend my life with someone eventually lol and no one would like a girl with psoriasis or acne on her face.

I do have scars and red marks and large pores and very white skin -- mineral powder is all I wear though ... nothing else. I look sick if I don't wear some makeup -- people always ask me "are you feeling ok?" lol. When it gets warm enough Ill need to get out in the sun to get some natural color. I look like I belong in the movie Twilight. I tried the spray tan, but it makes my large pores more noticable. Getting natural color looks much better. It is impossible to cover up psoriasis though.

I seriously hope you find something that works and then are able to go a long time without having to treat anything. That's my goal too!

Thanks TNgirl, and good luck to you too! I'm glad you've been able to develop a comprehensive plan keeping your condition under control. Btw, I saw a commercial on TV for a new pill that is supposed to suppress the immune system as to not cause psoriasis...

Digressing, So it seems the do nothing or water only regimen seem to work best on people with normal skin but afflicted with acne. It seems to not work so well for those who tend to build up dead skin and/or shed skin too fast...Which logically the solution would be to use a cleanser to "exfoliate"...But back to my original premise. What did people in the past do without cleansers? Does the body have the ability to adapt to not using cleansers and thus have clear, normal, healthy skin?

I've been going on an only water regimen for about a week now...So far, I've noticed flakiness and dead skin buildup even with the use of moisturizer which tells me it's less about being too dry, and more about the skin just accumulating stuff. I haven't gotten Seborrheic dermatitis, but I wonder how long I can continue to do this without this reaction occuring; what's the tipping point?

If there is anybody on this forum who has SD prone or Psoriasis prone skin AND have managed to use a water-only regimen without any reactions...please post and let us know...In addition drinking ACV is supposed to help as is avoiding foods from yeast, which is part of the holistic program, but the focus of this thread is strictly about the cleansing regimen.

I had gone about two weeks without using a cleanser, only water.

My skin tone seemed to be more even and less red. I did experience a mild case of flaking, but nothing too bad...I'm thinking of trying a gentle cleanser every two days or so to "exfoliate" all the dead skin...Has anybody else tried this?

u need to exfoliate ur skin...especially if u have redmarks

It's pointless to moisturize a face with flaky dry skin...the dead skin wont come back to life as if u just watered the plants

plus..if u have oily skin, the odds are some bacteria will hide between the gaps of dead skin

people benefit from a water only regime probably was using a wrong cleanser and moisturizer

Maybe u should watch the washing method that Dan has on the homepage...just do everything light on ur skin and nothing can go wrong

just do it lightly with baking soda once every other day or everyday if u feel u can take it

( I do it after I wash my face..then pat baking soda on wet skin and lightly exfoliate in small circular motion )

I do the same thing also =D I only wash my face with water and dont use any creams or topicals on my face anymore and so far I've been clear until I used the TCA Peel for my brown spots =/ made me get 5 new pimples! but now im on the last pimple that's almost gone.....suprisingly the caveman regimen seems to actually work....but I never had my skin flake or anything...well only a bit lol but also what I found out was that drinking like at least a gallon of water a day really really really helps especially with hydrating the skin so maybe you should try that out also and best of luck! Keep us posted

The problem is, my face gets easily dry and "tight" after cleansing..so I have to be careful, that's prob why I get flakes...Actually the question should be: Why do people get flakes when only using water? Is it purely dead skin build up that hasn't bee exfoliated properly or is it also due to the skin drying out and flakes are the side effect? Does anybody know?

I have tried the only water regimen in the past for a few months..Usually what happens is after awhile, my face gets dried out, there's flakiness, there's "stuff" in my pores which looks like bits of excess sebum/dead skin cells/whatever, and I'm prone to get seborrheic dermatitis because yeast feeds off that...Obviously I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin, but from a natural/holistic standpoint, what did people with my skin type do back in the centuries before cleansers and moisturizers were invented? Were they just f_cked or did they somehow not encounter these problems because the water wasn't like tap water, or that something in their diet, environment prevented problems like flakiness and dead skin build up from happening? As much as I'm inclined to do what is absolutely best to make sure my skin is well, I can't but think that washing my skin just to prevent acne is somehow a co-dependency I'd rather not have..I mean people who already have good skin who just want to wash their skin for fun are fine, cause it's not like they depend on it to maintain good skin...but people with acne seemed stuck within a cycle...I've tried modifying the water only regimen by employing moisturizer to see if that helped and the results are: it helps with the dryness, but there's still some form of flakiness/dead skin buildup/"gunk" in the pores...Maybe the answer is simply that people with my skin type HAVE to use some type of cleansing agent (natural or synthetic) to stay clear, that there's no other way around it. Or maybe there's another answer that I haven't figured out yet...From what I've read from others who use the water only regimen, many have encountered similar side-effects like the aforementioned...and maybe they stopped the regimen. How about those who stuck it out? Did the skin somehow adapt and the problems went away? Anybody been on the water only regimen for at least a year or two?

Funny you mention BACK iN THE DAY.

People of old-Did they have growth hormones in their foods?

We're their farm cows fed antibiotics and was their milk/dairy pasturized?

Did their local town put floride in the water, or treat their water, period?

Witch Hazel is one of the oldest types of skin treatment herb... People have used it for centuries.

There are so many questions like this, I am truly starting to believe a natural way of fighting acne, laying off the products, and helping your body fight your skin battle internally is just as, if NOT MORE important then topical/fash wash/moisturizer.

I haven't scrubbed, treated, peeled, or washed my face in a week. I use water, I wash my hair and if soap touches my face I swipe the soap over my skin, but I dont rub it in or massage it at all...

The more natural-the better, in my opinion.

I think getting that dead skin off is kind of necessary. I've altered the regimen for me that I'm going to use a very mild scrub (LIGHTLY!) every ten days or so just to exfoliate A BIT.

But the key to this water only thing-LESS IS MORE

that viewpoint is so wrong it makes me want to cringe. its like saying cancer will just go away if you leave it alone.

although acne is definitely not as serious, its still a condition. though you are right about the fact that acne can result due to product overuse/misuse, it still can just occur naturally.

actually, it ALWAYS occurs naturally. you cant seriously tell me that you overused products BEFORE you had acne. before i had acne, i hardly did anything to my skin.

seriously, using only water is such a dangerous path. people can seriously get messed up faces if they wrongly try it for too long.

that viewpoint is so wrong it makes me want to cringe. its like saying cancer will just go away if you leave it alone.

although acne is definitely not as serious, its still a condition. though you are right about the fact that acne can result due to product overuse/misuse, it still can just occur naturally.

actually, it ALWAYS occurs naturally. you cant seriously tell me that you overused products BEFORE you had acne. before i had acne, i hardly did anything to my skin.

seriously, using only water is such a dangerous path. people can seriously get messed up faces if they wrongly try it for too long.

You're looking at it wrong.

It's more along the lines of ... ok.. you have cancer.. what can you do?

You can kill your body using too much chemotherapy and radiation..

Or you can attack your cancer(acne) from all different angles. You can use nutrition/excercise/mental techniques/and a LITTLE bit of Chemo.. and fight it from every angle you can, not just listening to ONE Dr's advice...

Thats what were saying here...

why did you had acne even if you did nothing to your skin? here's an explanation for you.

• First at the onset of puberty, our hormones becomes more active and thus changes on your body occurs.
  • The skin changes by developing the "Acid Mantle".
  • During the changing process, your skin will react different than it used to.
  • Doing the same thing prior to your puberty onset, there's something your doing that irritates your skin.
  • Of course, acne problem is not an instant acne at first.
  • It starts with pimples and if left alone will turn into acne. If treated with chemicals will also turn into acne.
  • If you were only able to avoid what causes you to have pimple at the onset of your puberty then you won't have acne today. <- This is a fact that should be thought to every teenager out there who is about to enter their puberty stage!

Now, will you still argue with me?

@ComplexIssues

You better check out my regimen. It is the refined way of this method.

yes i will still argue with you.

acne is not always the result of doing something "bad" to your skin. as a matter of fact, you wouldnt even know what "bad" was if it werent for the internet, media, and what other people tell you.

your regimen advocates cutting out the things that cause acne for you. NO SHIT SHERLOCK. if everyone knew what caused their acne, then they wouldnt have a problem in the first place.

im not saying that cutting all topicals and cleansers WONT help your acne, im just saying that there are some people who just cant stop acne without any medicinal help.

Water only is really only for people who had mild amounts of breakouts before starting products and then the products made things worse. After I used BP and various acids for a few months it just made everything worse. The breakouts I got while using products were bigger, longer lasting and left worse marks. I also broke out in new areas I never did before. Sure, I got mild acne before using products but back then I was also much less aware of diet contributing to it. If I just ate right back then and occasionally splashed some water on my face, I wouldn't be on this site right now. But instead I went ape shit on products like a moron. I'm about 3 weeks in on this regimen and I actually still occasionally use a Jojoba/Vitamin E oil mixture for flaking. It works great at "unplugging" the dead/dry skin, especially in winter. Other than the oil I've just used water or I don't even wash some nights. My skin still isn't perfect but my breakouts are smaller and go away sooner.

For people with mild acne, irritation is probably the main cause for the addition of new breakouts. Water only really isn't for people with some kind of hormonal imbalance or genetic acne, people never say it is.

yea thats exactly what im trying to say. some people get acne as a result of product usage, while others just get it because of their genetics. wapak believes that everyone who gets acne did something wrong...thats not correct.

yea thats exactly what im trying to say. some people get acne as a result of product usage, while others just get it because of their genetics. wapak believes that everyone who gets acne did something wrong...thats not correct.

Then I say you know nothing about your skin. Why don't you do some research? You may start here -> Skin Biology then try to connect the information you get there on your own experience. If that won't still do it then I'm already over with you before you even know it.

You just can't admit that you made a mistake and that you are the cause of your acne. Get a life, you leech.

learn to read fobbie:

"During the teen-age years, sebaceous glands increase sebum production, which may harden into a "comedo" and block the pore opening, causing the inflammation and infection that leads to acne. "

happens naturally. good day.

Even though I'm doing the water/nothing regimen, I have to agree with zzzboy.

Acne is caused by endless amount of factors.

eg. genetics, irritation, diet, lifestyle etc...the list goes on

This water/nothing regimen is only for people with mild acne to boot but made it worse by topicals irritation. This will NOT work for everyone. There are people who suffer from severe acne by doing nothing to their skin.

@wapak: Calm down dude. There's no point in personal insult when everyone has different opinions.

learn to read fobbie:

"During the teen-age years, sebaceous glands increase sebum production, which may harden into a "comedo" and block the pore opening, causing the inflammation and infection that leads to acne. "

happens naturally. good day.

Then why am I not having acne on my nose and cheeks after all those comedo build up on those areas where I am clear before coming into this regimen? Can you explain that? Your information is one of the bulls#it media, companies, doctors and society is preaching out there. They have been trying to solve acne in that premise for almost a decade now. Now I ask you, why do we still have acne problem? Huh? Why dude? Why?

Even though I'm doing the water/nothing regimen, I have to agree with zzzboy.

Acne is caused by endless amount of factors.

eg. genetics, irritation, diet, lifestyle etc...the list goes on

This water/nothing regimen is only for people with mild acne to boot but made it worse by topicals irritation. This will NOT work for everyone. There are people who suffer from severe acne by doing nothing to their skin.

@wapak: Calm down dude. There's no point in personal insult when everyone has different opinions.

No dude. Acne is not caused by endless amount of factors. Have you seen a person have acne at the onset? No one get's acne over night. But one person get's a pimple over night. Aggravating that pimple you get causes acne. We have narrowed down the cause of acne dude. And yeah, other factors aggravates acne because that person failed to cope up with the changes happening to his body. Don't be silly leaning toward someones argument just because it is supported by popular belief. Remember that popular belief screwed us up. If you haven't realized that then I wonder why you are on this regimen, just because it works?

No dude. Acne is not caused by endless amount of factors. Have you seen a person have acne at the onset? No one get's acne over night. But one person get's a pimple over night. Aggravating that pimple you get causes acne. We have narrowed down the cause of acne dude. And yeah, other factors aggravates acne because that person failed to cope up with the changes happening to his body. Don't be silly leaning toward someones argument just because it is supported by popular belief. Remember that popular belief screwed us up. If you haven't realized that then I wonder why you are on this regimen, just because it works?

You are so obssessed with your own thinking that you totally ignored our statements. Read this again:

This water/nothing regimen is only for people with mild acne to boot but made it worse by topicals irritation.

Acne IS caused by endless amount of factors. I don't know what you mean by "have acne at the onset", but yes, no one gets acne overnight. There are people who get pimple > pimples > acne in just a few months by doing NOTHING TO THEIR FACE. You can never narrow down the cause of acne because each and everyone of us have different lifestyle and they ALL contribute to how our body works (which is related to acne).

Thanks for accusing me for being "silly" when I am just voicing out my opinion. I don't have to prove anything to you since you are just acting like a spoiled child. I'm done here.