Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tommy2010

And So it Begins, The Changing of My Life

^^Just be patient, once you begin the course...your life will slowly but surely change.

I know that once the course is over with the redness will start to decrease probably two weeks after my last pill...

I am ok with my redness not going away entirely if it means clear skin. All I would want is like the intensity to die down about 50%.

DAY 91

I don't have much longer until I go see the dermatologist again, and I think this month has been the best month thus far.

Hopefully month four will be better too, and then my final month will be perfect.

No whiteheads for the second straight day and overall complexion is vastly clear but red.

:clap: i'm loving the optimistic attitude.

i'm like the most optimistic person alive and i'm love to get on here and read everyone's hopeful posts. :]

i'm glad you're skin is cleared! hopefully for a long, long while! knock on wood.

:clap: i'm loving the optimistic attitude.

i'm like the most optimistic person alive and i'm love to get on here and read everyone's hopeful posts. :]

i'm glad you're skin is cleared! hopefully for a long, long while! knock on wood.

Your own experiences from what I have read have also been optimistic in nature.

You have a good head on your shoulders, and this thing called Accutane is something that we can now all relate to more or less. When I prepared this log, I would hope it could inspire someone that YES, you can make a change if you want it bad enough.

I remember how depressed I felt on Christmas eve and Christmas day, I didn't even want to be around family that came in just for the holidays. Now was that "isolationism" a little extreme?

Yes it was, but that was my only means of escaping acne. If I just go away from everybody..they don't see me...I don't see them.

It is through this course that I can now see people eye to eye without restraint, and that is the first time in my "adult" life that I have been able to do so.

DAY 92

Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 and I am on day 92, haha.

No whiteheads for the third straight day, and complexion is still improving.

80 mgs is a lot of accutane regardless of bodyweight in my opinion, and it has done a nice job of purging my skin beyond belief.

I do wonder, however, if she will keep it at 80 mg for my fourth month? I hope she does so it can "thoroughly" do its task. Perhaps in the fifth month, if she wanted to drop it to 40 mg, that is fine with me.

DAY 93

Busy week with classes, had a test and paper due today. Tomorrow I have to give a 15 minute presentation in class and also another test.

I am seeing hints of some new bumps, but they are nothing major and will likely not come to a head.

Yo -- I've finally started Accutane and your log has given me some good inspiration. I started around April 1, coinciding with the start of baseball season, so hopefully when I finish at the end of August, my team will be heading toward the pennant!

I have a question (that I will ask my dermatologist in a few weeks): I'm a skinny (I prefer to call it sinewy, I'm a hard gainer) 127lbs so I think my current 40mg/day is appropriate. But then I see some 100lb girls on here who are at 80mg/day and then I think I'm a bit low. Did you try to have the derm jack up your dosage to ensure that this is your last course? Thanks!

Paco,

I will let tommy answer this for you as well but I wouldn't worry about starting out on 40mg a day. Im 5'11 175 and I am currently on 40mg a day as well. If you derm is like mine he/she will want to see how a lower dosage effects you for the first month. If your blood work come back with little change and you skin is not too dry or flaky your derm will probably bump up your dosage for the rest of your course.

Paco,

I will let tommy answer this for you as well but I wouldn't worry about starting out on 40mg a day. Im 5'11 175 and I am currently on 40mg a day as well. If you derm is like mine he/she will want to see how a lower dosage effects you for the first month. If your blood work come back with little change and you skin is not too dry or flaky your derm will probably bump up your dosage for the rest of your course.

Thanks bro -- I think I remember hearing the derm say that he wants me on 40mg/day for the entire 5 months so I wonder if it's weird to proactively ask for an increase in dosage. I'd rather deal with the harsher effects now if it means I only have to go through this once.

Paco...

I started out on 40 mg for the first month. The past two months I have been on 80 mg. I did not suggest anything to my derm as she knows best.

Think of it this way Paco...

You are putting 40 mg into your system every single day. Pretend you are putting 40 tiny soldiers in your body to defeat the oil glands and bacteria.

The first day you had only 40 soldiers, but by the end of your first week you have 280 soldiers in your army....then you will have more than a 1,000 infantry by month's end.

Accutane is Accutane, whether it is 40 or 80 mg, it just purges the skin moreso with greater doses I believe.

Keep me posted ok?

Yo -- I've finally started Accutane and your log has given me some good inspiration. I started around April 1, coinciding with the start of baseball season, so hopefully when I finish at the end of August, my team will be heading toward the pennant!

I have a question (that I will ask my dermatologist in a few weeks): I'm a skinny (I prefer to call it sinewy, I'm a hard gainer) 127lbs so I think my current 40mg/day is appropriate. But then I see some 100lb girls on here who are at 80mg/day and then I think I'm a bit low. Did you try to have the derm jack up your dosage to ensure that this is your last course? Thanks!

Bingo. That is exactly right.

DAY 94

Finally, I am done with classes until Tuesday haha!

Presentation went well with my partners and I got a 100 on the test I took, so all is good.

Skin-wise, it is doing good also.

Rednress is still of great concern, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

No new bumps or whiteheads.

PICTURE

post-91186-1239290068_thumb.jpg

Thanks bro. I like the military analogy. I am a proponent of the Colin Powell doctrine -- exhaust all political, diplomatic, and econonic means before resorting to military force but if military force is absolutely necessary, then use overwhelming and decisive force to achieve a quick victory.

I tried pretty much everything before Accutane, but now that I made the decision to do it, I want to attack the acne with overwhelming and decisive force! I am worried that 40mg/day is like the initial incursion into Iraq and a "surge" may be necessary to finish the job!

Good luck with your progress -- it seems that you're doing well except for the slight redness. I'm a week in to my course and so far, it's pretty manageable.

Just took a two hour nap and when I woke up, I can now see a tiny red mark near my right eye.

Inside the red mark is a tiny whitehead.

Great, all I need is that with Easter coming up. :naughty:

DAY 95

That red mark with a whitehead has "matured" greatly since yesterday afternoon. Hopefully it can go ahead and reach its full "potential" by today and then start to heal tomorrow.

DAY 96

That red mark with a whitehead is nevermore...muahaha.

I got my haircut early this morning, since I haven't had one in like 5 weeks. The barber that cut my hair said it looks like you got some sun yesterday...at least he didn't say sunburn..haha.

If he only knew. Heck, if only everyone knew about the extreme redness this prescription can induce.

I get my blood drawn on Monday and my dermatologist appointment will be on Wednesday.

Close to hitting the century mark, and boy has it been a wild, but fun ride thus far.

Yay you! I hope its going well Tommy :D Show us your new haircut lol!

Don't worry you will!

DAY 97

Easter is here, and lots of family coming over today.

I wonder if anyone will say something about how my skin has improved since Christmas? (We only get together for the holidays.)

And for the love of God, please nobody tell me to stay out of the sun haha.

Happy Easter everyone and enjoy this great day regardless of what your faith might be. :D

hey tommy glad things are going well for you. The whole flushing thing is now becoming an issue for me too, embarressing isn't it? Just gotta hope that it stops once the course is over I guess. good luck!

DAY 98

Got my blood drawn again today. Went as smoothly as it ever has, so kudos to that.

I will go to my dermatologist at 2:30 this Wednesday. Pretty sure the results will be just fine.

I will be entering my fourth month. I agree that the third month has been the best thus far, but I see great things in store for me during this coming month.

No new whiteheads or bumps for the second straight day.

DAY 99

Tomorrow I will go see my dermatologist, and shockingly it will be on Day 100 exactly.

I will be intrigued to see if she keeps my dosage at 80 mg, or if she will cut it down to 40 mg.

Nothing new to speak of, even though my skin is improving a tiny bit each passing day.

I hope the blood results looked good.

DAY 100

Have a class at 1:00, and then will make my way to the dermatologist at 2:30.

I have felt sick the past two days (outside in the rain for an hour with little clothing, not the accutane).

Two new bumps crept up last night, it is crazy how they come out of nowhere all of a sudden!

One is near one of my eyebrows and the other is near my chin/bottom lip. That is, honest to God, the sixth or seventh time I have had a bump appear there and vanish...only to come back later.

Obviously it is one of my problem areas and this prescription is doing its best to flush it out.

Hi there,

I am curious about how your Easter went. Did any family members say anything to you? I am forever waiting for a sister, brother, or my mother to say something, either positive or otherwise; especially since they are all so very against my taking accutane.

Hi there,

I am curious about how your Easter went. Did any family members say anything to you? I am forever waiting for a sister, brother, or my mother to say something, either positive or otherwise; especially since they are all so very against my taking accutane.

Carmelle...one of my relatives thought I had used Botox because of how smooth my skin was haha.

Nobody commented on the redness as I kept it under wraps as best I could.

Update: Got back from the dermatologist and Walgreens. I will be on 60 mg for month four of my course. This will probably be the month where everything will dry up completely.

She walked into the room (she is now pregnant) and said, "Wow, look at you!" And I then kinda blushed haha. She said, "Your skin looks awesome."

Hey Tommy,

You're looking good man! Congrats on making it this far. I wanna know what you've been doing to help with the redness you've been experiencing.