Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tommy2010

And So it Begins, The Changing of My Life

I officially got my blood work done this morning at 9:00 AM, and it started off TERRIBLY.

First off, the insurance company I have didn't know if they would cover the bloodwork even though it is inside the county I live in...

They couldn't tell me until after I had it done, whether they would cover me or not...that seems odd.

Oh well, nothing was going to stop me from having it done today.

I get back there in the room (My mom insisted that she go with me since it was the first time I have ever had blood drawn.) and they have trouble finding out which tubes and how much blood to take out.

I wasn't suppose to hear any of that conversation, but I did haha...so that didn't make my stomach feel any easier.

She told me that I might pass out doing this.....RIGHT when she was sticking the needle in, and she told me to look away.

It wasn't bad at all, but then my vision started going "cross-eyed" and fuzzy extremely fast.

They then had to lay me down on a stretcher so I wouldn't black out, and gave me some water.

She was a fantastic nurse though, her name was Nadeinne I believe, and she had been doing it for forty years!

Turns out I have not seen a doctor since 2004, because I just don't get sick. "Knock on wood"

Anyways, this is the first post of the first day of the rest of my life!

I go back to the dermatologist on the 6th, which I believe is a Tuesday. She told me that I would get prescribed Accutane that day if the tests come back fine.

Hey congrats! Blood work is a pain but I guess a necessity while on accutane. I did a 6 month course at 60mgs a day and now I am 2 months post tane with clear skin. It will be worth the troubles! Good luck on your course!

The countdown is now 72 hours until I meet with my dermatologist and she examines the blood work to see if I am able to take accutane.

I'm pumped! =)

Basically 48 hours until I see her!!

Can't time pass any quicker? :(

lol I felt the same way! I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time getting your blood drawn, I tend to have problems with that myself. Only one more day! Hope your appointment goes well!

Less than 24 hours!

I have stopped using Pro-Activ since Friday and no new "active" bumps are existing, so I am hoping I won't have the IB on Accutane.

Oh heck, let me have one...so I know it is working! =)

I got it! The blood work came back perfect.

I just took my first pill a few minutes ago, and will start off my first month with one 40 mg capsule per day!

Greatest day of my life.

post-91186-1231264258_thumb.jpg

post-91186-1231264258_thumb.jpg

Hey! Congratulations on getting Accutane! I remember feeling the exact same way as you. Heck, I'm one month in and I'm still excited!

Your skin looks good already so I'm sure once you finish up with Accutane it will be just perfect.

Good Luck! and keep us posted.

Tommy we must have taken our first pill within minutes of each other. I didn't see your thread before but I also was counting down until today. Except as a female of childbearing years it took me a MONTH worth of blood work before I could get the prescription. Congratulations to us both... this will be great!!

Tommy we must have taken our first pill within minutes of each other. I didn't see your thread before but I also was counting down until today. Except as a female of childbearing years it took me a MONTH worth of blood work before I could get the prescription. Congratulations to us both... this will be great!!

Oh, that's pretty cool!

DAY ONE

Took my pill shortly after lunch and it was my very first one. I have noticed no side effects at the moment obviously, and I won't expect to feel any different for roughly a week.

I bought Aquaphor for my lips, Cetaphil moisturizer (noncomedone-something haha), and olay lotion for my skin.

Bring it on Accutane,..bring it...

:clap:

DAY TWO

Took my pill at lunch time again...

Nothing different as of yet, which is what I was expecting...

I put on moisturizing lotion for the FIRST time in my life this morning since I need to go ahead and prepare for it, haha.

I bought the Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15...and it is wonderful.

It has no fragrance, non-comedogentic, non-greasy, and it doesn't even look like I am wearing any.

Superb start so far!

Is this the best you have Accutane? You are no match for me as of right now! :)

Congrats on finaly getting your scrip! Smart move getting an early start with your moisturizer, I did the same thing and at a month and a half in I haven't had a single problem with dry skin. Hope things continue to go smoothly!

DAY THREE

Last night, after I applied my moisturizer...I thought my lips were getting a little tight...as if they might get chapped soon.

Alas, I woke up this morning and they are fine and dandy.

It is only day three, but I do feel less oil being produced...and only hope it will continue.

DAY FOUR

Lips are in perfect condition, no chapped feeling at all.

I did have a nosebleed last night and woke up right before it happened....divine intervention haha.

I can tell my skin would be a bit dry if I didn't use moisturizer, but nothing major.

Hey, Tommy, how's it going? I haven't been feeling anything wonderful happening yet. I guess I had a little dry skin on my chin this morning but I definitely haven't noticed any dry lips or nosebleeds. I have always been very habitual about putting chapstick and lip balm on so hopefully that gives me a head start. I don't know about you, but I'm a person that likes to see instant gratification. When I go to the gym I expect to come home and notice I dropped 2 pants sizes in the hour I was there. After my first day on Accutane I expected to wake up the next morning and have perfect skin. Of course logically I know better than that but "Come ON! Let me see something!!!" My derm told me I would see a drying of my skin months 1 and 2 but probably wouldn't see an improvement in Accutane until month 3. Well, I graduate LPN school at the end of March - that works out perfectly for me!! I am so excited at the prospect of having clear skin in my graduation pictures. I hope things continue going well for you and I am excited to watch your progress. Keep in touch!

Erica

Hey, Tommy, how's it going? I haven't been feeling anything wonderful happening yet. I guess I had a little dry skin on my chin this morning but I definitely haven't noticed any dry lips or nosebleeds. I have always been very habitual about putting chapstick and lip balm on so hopefully that gives me a head start. I don't know about you, but I'm a person that likes to see instant gratification. When I go to the gym I expect to come home and notice I dropped 2 pants sizes in the hour I was there. After my first day on Accutane I expected to wake up the next morning and have perfect skin. Of course logically I know better than that but "Come ON! Let me see something!!!" My derm told me I would see a drying of my skin months 1 and 2 but probably wouldn't see an improvement in Accutane until month 3. Well, I graduate LPN school at the end of March - that works out perfectly for me!! I am so excited at the prospect of having clear skin in my graduation pictures. I hope things continue going well for you and I am excited to watch your progress. Keep in touch!

Erica

I am in the exact same situation you are in. Nothing is happening yet except my skin is drying off a little bit on my entire face.

It is like somebody has turned oil production from "super duper" to "OFF" in a matter of 48 hours.

I can't wait until I get chapped lips, because that is when I know I will start to see Accutane in its working stage most likely.

Good luck with everything and please post in this thread about your progress!

DAY FIVE

I am in my fifth day and my lips feel a bit tight, but nothing chapped at the moment. Moisturizing is helping keep my skin rejuvenated..because it would be dry if I didn't apply it.

Oil is being less and less produced each hour it seems, but I still have one or two whiteheads that have risen to the surface. They are almost microscopic and can barely be seen.

Thanks mrsraisinkain,

DAY SIX

Lips are not chapped, but do feel tight when I wake up in the mornings. After a shower and some breakfast, I don't notice anything...

I only have two whiteheads at the moment, and only one of them is noticeable.

I have a feeling though I haven't even BRUSHED the surface of what accutane is going to do to me. =)

DAY SEVEN

Woke up this morning and lips are still in perfect condition.

I am getting at least a new whitehead every morning it seems like, and it is always a small one.

hey Tommy! my name is Kerriann and i am also on day 7. i am on 40mg a day of sotret. My skin really hasnt dried out much...my lips are beginning to get dry (nothing serious) however, i have gotten my initial breakout...well the beginning of it anyway and it sucks! maybe you wont get one since you havnt yet!! well...i hope u dont...wish i didnt! haha...but n e way...have a good night and good luck!

DAY EIGHT

I had the craziest dream last night, and I don't think I should attribute it to Accutane.

I was working in the boiler room of the Titanic and was left behind with a bunch of other guys trying to to get the doors open...but we couldn't....and then the lights went out in the boiler room once it started sinking.

It was crazy haha.

My lips are still not chapped, but the moisture is getting less and less each day.

I bought CeraVe moisturizing cream, not the lotion, last night and it works great. It is noncomedogentic, but don't apply it during the day since it is really shiny.

DAY NINE

Today was the first day of classes for the spring semester.

And my initial breakout is finally here, aren't I lucky?

I have about five or six whiteheads scattered all over my face, although they are rather small in size.

My lips are not chapped, but dry if that makes sense.

I have Monday "off" for MLK Jr. Day and hopefully I can use that time to heal from this IB.