Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anioh

Acutane. It's back for a 2nd, even bigger round.

Acne came in since I was 15. It got progressively worse so I went to a doctor. Long story short, 2yrs laterI went from mild to moderate acne to severe acne. Doc said accutane was last hope. So i plunged into a 7 month course ending on May 2008. 1st time I experience severely chapped lips, dry skin, low energy and crazy back pains.

It stayed clear until August when i had a bad breakout and went to the new doctor who gave me doryx and duac samples (kind enough to give me 1 month supply of samples). It stopped the breakout and cleared it up a bit and i ran out. September, moved onto college and skin was still good until October where my acne broke out again even worse. Went to a new doctor by school and she gave me differin and solodyn. She really screwd me over. I used it from late oct to early dec and i stopped. Not becuase i was clear , but because it made my acne into extremely severe acne. Worse than i ever had. So in mid december i went to my old (first) doctor and he gave me doryx and duac to calm my acne and told me to start on accutane with the doctor near my school.

So here i am a couple days before my appointment with the doctor who gave me differin. it was scheduled two months ago so i didnt bother getting another one to start accutane. Ill have her consult with my old doctor but most likely i going on accutane (prob 80mg like last time).

so here it goes again...accutane

started on accutane on january 10. 40mg twice a day (80mg/day); once morning and night. my copay for doctors is 10/appointment and 85/prescription. about 100 for a months worth. doctor said 4 month regime so it would come out to $400.

TODAY

its been about a week and ive just went through one packet. my lips are dry as hell and theres this pimpple that popped while i was working out today. its next to my lips like a cold sore, and it hurts like hell. my scars seem redder too and my skin is dry. starting to feel sore too in my back.

all similar symptoms of my previous tane experience. in all, its just hell again. i just hope it actually works now.

day 6

woke up this morning and forgot to put on moisurizer.

omg, going to class in this cold weather made me feel like my face was on fire.

my face has been dry since day 3.

day 8

i have so many red spots from acne. cant even tell whether they are acne or scars, its just that many. cant do anything about it, just trying to keep patient until tane works; itd better, the money is just eating at me especially since this is my 2nd course.

I'm over a month in myself, Accutane will be quite the pain, some times your acne will be really bad before it gets good, sometimes it will be really good before it gets bad. Skin for me has generally always been dry, and the cold is TERRIBLE on the face (so is the sun i here too, thers just no escaping it). Accutane will play mind games because one day your feeling good because your acne will start looking clear... As soon as your confident that you are actually feeling like its doing some actual work, it'll come right back, and hard. Its gonna be a few hard months, full of pain and mood swings because of the physical effect you will experience. Sad that Accutane is a last resort when you use other meds and realized if you used this sinse the beginning, it could of been clear by now.

Anyway... Good luck on the adventure that comes with the pills! (Also the red spots will come and go all the time!)

thx cam, i hope we both get clear/

day 9

i got another pimple below my lip that hurts like crazy. it made that area, including my lip numb. this is the first time i have ever had a pimple like this. i cant feel my entire right side of my lip. is this normal???

day 10

so ive broken out with alot of cysts and nods. i never broke out this much on my last course. i dont know hwat to do, it make me feel like shit sometimes. although ima pretty confident guy, this shit botters me. im using cerave hydrating cleanser morning and night. i use neutrogena visbly even moisturizer in the morning and aquaphor healing ointment for my lips and severely dry spots.

anybody got any tips to get through break out and accutane in general???????

my skin is also severely dry, especially my neck and nose where it is chaffing and it hurts to put on lotion.

Best advice I can give u is to be patient and not to get to high on the good days and not to low on the bad days. It can be tough but its a process.

I just started Accutane (40mg daily) 5 days ago (for the second time) as well.

It's going to be tough. I'm experiencing an IB currently and my lips are super dry as well.

Good luck with your course!

day 12

some of my cysts have gotten smaller but i just got two nods. i prob will have my dosage up'd. first time i went from 20mg to 80mg within 4 months. and took 80mg for 3 months. now im at 80mg. wonder how 100mg will be. maybe even 120mg. ive always had dry skin but my face was an exception. even had eczema when i was younger. 1st tane ride made my face dry but still acne.

day 14

so i jus got another big pimple. to count I have 4 pimples the size of nickles an a BUNCH of msaller pimples half yellow from the pus. the big pimples come at a huge surprise. i have never had large pimples before, just a lot of small pimples, red and yellow. these hurt, never had them hurt either. it makes me feel likesomeone is pulling on my face. is this normal? why is it so different this time?

to continue my lows and someventing, i think dermatologists are merely buisnesmen dressed as doctors. if they can turn a black man white, why cant they get rid of acne. a dermatlogist apointment is merely a 10 min meeting where a doctor looks at your face and writes down your medicine. NO test or examination actually included. how do they know what to give if they don't know what you have? they even say it themselves every acne is different; so how is it they know what to give? they

im planning to confront my dermatologist at my next appointment. before switching to her because of my move, i had moderate acne. 3 months later, i have severe acne and back on accutane (which i suggested to her even though it didnt work the 1st time). her "examination" led her to give me differin and solodyn that only flared my acne with no sign of improvement anywhere.

day 15

so ive concluded that i got an IB. prob started about day 6.

noticed ive been getting angrier and annoyed more easily now. prob due to all the stress of the side effects and acne itself.

day 15(actually went ahead a day, just noticed because i finished a box)

asside from being annoyed more easily, ive been getting more tired and overall less social. dont go out as much since drinking while on tane is stupid. realized also that you gotta eat fatty foods wit htane, i uess ive been wasting some mgs of the stuff. prob got flushed down the toilet :cry:

day 18

so im really fatigued lately. t dont feel like doing much, people have noticed i dont chill with them anymore.. my breakout has really died done now though so thats a plus. a con is i forgot my chastick to day and my lips felt like it was gonna bust.

That is horrible that your skin was only clear for a couple of months after your first course. Hopefully this second course will eradicate your acne, if not for the sake of your wallet. Accutane is not affordable at all if you are paying out of pocket, I am on 80mg/day so two boxes of 40 mg costs me about $300 at costco. Hang in there, your IB will eventually clear up. I know what you mean, the fatigue is hard to deal with especially when you have tons of errands, homework, etc. Good luck and just think of how beautiful your skin will look in a couple of months!

300, wow. hope you get clear too.

day who knows aint trying to calculate.

so whe ni thought my ib was gone i just got 3 more cyst. my nose is dry too bcause recently i got a cold and blew the moisture out of my nose with tissues (those commercial of soft tissure arent really true). ive also noticed that im getting nose bleeds. i hardly evr get them and i realized i got them that last time too. prob cuz tane makes it dry.

Hey,

Hang in there. I know it is tough but it is only up from here. I hope everything starts getting better sooner than later for you. Keep posting and we will try to support you through this.

2nd month

stayed at 80mg. started to break out a little bit again. skin dry as hell. nothing to big though.

got lazier (but who cares, i got a reason for it...accutane)

day 10

so ive broken out with alot of cysts and nods. i never broke out this much on my last course. i dont know hwat to do, it make me feel like shit sometimes. although ima pretty confident guy, this shit botters me. im using cerave hydrating cleanser morning and night. i use neutrogena visbly even moisturizer in the morning and aquaphor healing ointment for my lips and severely dry spots.

anybody got any tips to get through break out and accutane in general???????

my skin is also severely dry, especially my neck and nose where it is chaffing and it hurts to put on lotion.

hey,

I was on accutane, about to start it again, but my tip for dry lips and skin, is to purchase aquaphor healing ointment advanced therapy for dry, cracked, or irritated skin. Its from eucerin, and it works great! hope this helps :)