Notifications
Clear all

Your Breathing: Nose or Mouth?

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 01/02/2009 12:53 am

Just curious as to how everyone typically breathes.

Typically I find myself breathing through my mouth. Perhaps by exhaling so fast, I deprive myself of sufficient amounts of oxygen.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 01/02/2009 2:15 pm

Nose mostly, but when I go to sleep my nose gets really bunged up for some reason and I end up breathing through the mouth, which I hate because I wake up with really bad breath :D

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 01/02/2009 2:55 pm

I'm a nose-breather.

I've heard that it's much better to breathe through your nose than through your mouth--something about nitric oxide production.

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 01/02/2009 5:31 pm

I'm a nose-breather.

I've heard that it's much better to breathe through your nose than through your mouth--something about nitric oxide production.

Your nostril hairs also act as natural filters for larger airborne particles such as dust/pollen etc.

MemberMember
(@danith)

Posted : 01/07/2009 7:26 pm

I used to breath through my mouth but people were always saying i made a ton of noise so now i breath through my nose more.

MemberMember
(@xboxfreak)

Posted : 01/07/2009 8:05 pm

Mouth mostly because of bad allergies which stuff my nose up.

MemberMember
(@serenitypinkblossom)

Posted : 01/16/2009 6:18 pm

You are SUPPOSED to breath through your nose.

When you are running you breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.

I'm in sports.. tennis and volleyball and we do ALOT of running probaly at least 3 laps which is like 1 mile everyday :]

In through your nose and out through your mouth

MemberMember
(@d_lightful)

Posted : 01/16/2009 6:29 pm

You can breathe through your mouth when you're running. In high school my basketball coach taught track too and he said when you're running it doesn't matter. If you are running hard you won't get all the oxygen you need through your nose.

Breathe however you want. It's most important that you get the oxygen you need.

MemberMember
(@trubeautywithin)

Posted : 01/19/2009 1:55 pm

well i breathe through my nose. i hate getting colds! i hate having to breathe through my mouth. do u realize how hard it can be to eat and try to breathe inbetween bites..maybe its just me.

MemberMember
(@glennart)

Posted : 01/19/2009 2:45 pm

Often people that breathe through their mouth do so because their nasal airway is underdeveloped and narrow.

The reason for this is poor nutrition during childhood, your mothers diet during pregnancy and perhaps even the health/nutrition of previous generations in your family.

http://westonaprice.org/healthissues/facial-development.html

MemberMember
(@tagalong)

Posted : 01/19/2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, I was going to mention Weston A Price too. My "facial development" is terrible. I have a thin passageway and then like pig nostrils. I usually breathe through my mouth but have learned to breathe through my nose as well as I can. My mom ate a steady diet of lucky charms and bread so I didn't exactly get the nutrition i needed.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:30 pm

BUMP. This is a hugely important topic. I believe this may be a huge reason behind major health problems (including ACNE), that is ignored.

Think about it, when you breath through your mouth, you breathing in more "airborne particles such as dust/pollen etc" and the hairs of the nose act as filters. If acne is caused by toxins, this may be why mouth breathers get acne. Additionally, for me at least when I breath through my mouth, I am WAY MORE STRESSED than when i breath through my nose. Stress = acne. When i breath through my mouth, my sleep suffers TREMENDOUSLY. Sleep deprivation = acne.

What do you guys think?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/11/2013 10:13 am

I'm a nose-breather.

yes. Lowers blood pressure. Besides being the way animals are meant to breath.Nasal passages filter out toxins. Breathing through the mouth dries saliva which is there partly to protect your teeth and carry nutrients to repair cavities. Also, its your diaphragm therefore your abdomen that should expand and contract, not your chest. If its your chest rising, you aren't taking in enough air.