Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aapljack

About to start Accutane

and I'm a little scared. I was on it about 3yrs ago and stopped after a few days due to rashes. I think what I had was just severe dryness and am determined to lather up and stick to it. Are there any benefits to using a certain kind of lotion? Will most any oil-less moisturizer do? I already use lotion on my face cause it gets dry. My acne is on my back, where I have had it most of my life (I'm 30). I'm excited at the thought of getting rid of it and actually taking my shirt off in public. Maybe go to the beach. Could be nice.

I know that I will need lotsa moisturizer, lip balm and sunscreen. Anything else good to have on hand?

-b

Ok first since you have used it before you allready knoe that it causes dryness so expect the same again. I would stick to it as well. Or ..... See I have heard that it doesnt get rid of the acne, after you go of acutane acne will slowly reapear.

That was the bad news, the good news is that it does make the acne less severe. I have heard of improvements between 30 - 60 % which can be considered a big improvement. On the other side it takes about 2 - 3 months. There is always Dan's regimen, use 5%- 10% BP instead of the 2,5% for ur back and you might a more permanent healing since you need to saty o the regimen.

What am I saying: Try the accutane, use a moisturizer as described by Dan. After accutane (if not happy with result) try Dan's regimen.

I wish you the best of lunk and hope it works out for you [-o<

Alright. Took my first pill this morning and lotioned myself up. So far so good.

I had a question about showering. My Derm. said it is best to take quick showers and just wash your armpits and crotch (his words) with soap. He said to do this because otherwise, you will dry out your skin more. Anyone else get advice like this? I am also washing my face and hair.

-b

Idd washing dries out your skin. Use warm water not hot. Dont use soap (except for ur dingdong tongue.gif ). Second dryness will apear at day 2-3, or so I heard. Be prepared for breakouts as this is a reaction to the pores getting smaller (dirt gets out). Dont worry though after the first week you'll see improvement.

So: Dont over wash. Dont wash with hot water. Dont use soap.

Goodluck keep us posted