Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey people, i've been battling with acne for almost a year now and thankfully it is under control. now my main concern is all the red marks it has left behind, i just wish i could go out again with no concealer and minimal foundation :(

anyway, to try and overcome this problem, i have bought a TCA solution over the internet. i have been doing AHA peels in recently and they are great, but not good enough, so i am upgrading to TCA.

can anyone leave me with a few words of advice, or a personal experience..?

e.g: the best percentage i can start with, downtime, skin preparation etc...

I've done 2 TCA peels in the last 2 weeks...and have done other types of peels as well in the past.

The first TCA was a high 40% one, almost 50% on the 19th of this month. It burned real bad, but you do have to let it sink in the skin, don't chicken out and wash it off. I used a fan type paint brush to dab it on my face and it worked great. I soaked it with cold water and the burning was gone almost right away and it didn't even hurt at all after that to touch or anything. But, it IS red, and you won't really want to go out much.

KEEP AWAY FROM EYE AREA. This area is extra sensitive and it will make the skin color brown.

The 2nd peel I did only week after is more mild. Today is the 3rd day of this peel and it's already starting to peel nicely. It was a mild peel of about 25%, because you are not even supposed to do 2 peels so closely together in time...the only reason I did was because I never have downtime, and I have a lot during Christmas break so I want to make the best of it. Most importantly, I could tell my skin could handle it from past acid peel experience, and my skin was no longer pink or anything.

During the peels you want to keep your face as dry as possible. I live in Michigan and the weather is very dry during the winter, so I think that helps. I also soak my face in a sink full of warm water for about 5 minutes a couple times a day. This will really make your face tighter, dry it out more, and increase the rate of your peel without bad effects. People always say expect downtime of 7 days, but even with my large % face peel, it was peeled and healed within 5 days.

Best of luck, if you have any other questions, be sure to ask.

Also, I recommend starting off with a small % to be safe, if you haven't done these before, you don't know how you will react. 25% is mild, and what most people use. Spot tests are also recommended before applying to the entire face.

hey guys, thanks for your replies! i was actually thinking to start with 8%, however i've done sevral AHA peels already, so im thinking maybe i can handle 25%? also does it help clear up any existing spots? and how much of a difference will it make to the appearance of my skin? i can't wait to have beautiful skin again!

hey guys, thanks for your replies! i was actually thinking to start with 8%, however i've done sevral AHA peels already, so im thinking maybe i can handle 25%? also does it help clear up any existing spots? and how much of a difference will it make to the appearance of my skin? i can't wait to have beautiful skin again!

In my experience, TCA peels are very mild (even though they say it's the strongest of the acid peels). I had much better results with a glycolic acid peel (can't remember the %).

Like I said, a high 40% didn't even really do much for my face and wasn't very deep at all, and the 25% that I'm still peeling from now is extremely minor.

With an 8% you probably wouldn't get anymore flaking than you would from overusing BP products that make the skin flaky.

I'm starting to think that acid peels really aren't worth it...at least with the TCA in my experience. They require downtime, are painful, and haven't given my great results that I want. I'm just now looking into turmeric powder as a topical and it is in the mail now. You may have seen the current thread in this forum about turmeric powder...

I also hear potatoes are good at removing the marks. I have plans of possibly making a ground potato mask of some sort and seeing how that goes.