Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roman73

persistent acne

Hi Everyone,

I've had acne since I was 12, with severe acne during high school into my early college years. By the time I graduated from college, my acne had become mild (to medium at times). However the biggest problem is that is spread from my face to basically my entire body, mainly the chest, back, butt and thighs. I also have had problem with csytic acne between my upper thies and along my waistline, which have dark spots after the pimple goes away. the spot fade very slowly, and sometimes linger for years. I have tried a 5 month treatment of Accutane, but that didn't seem to work at all. It just caused my lips and corners of my mouth to bleed. I have take oral antibiotics, which seem to help somewhat, but doesn't clear it completely. Using topic oinments are fine just for a person's face, but not for routinely on the body. Being very overweight, I know losing weight will help that acne problem, but I know it will still be there even if I was 50lb lighter.

I also wanted to mention that I have certain poors that reccurently produce pimples, and one of these pimples just produces white/yellow strings/gobs of stuff. I don't think it's puss, I actually it is bacteria that is not being attacked by my white blood cells, that eventually they have no more room to spread and form a head.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me in the long term? I would take accutane again if it would work well and for a long period of time. I would also take anti-biotics for a long time if they worked well too. I'm not a big fan of creams or ointments unless it's for use on problematic pimples, or on the face.

Hi Everyone,

I've had acne since I was 12, with severe acne during high school into my early college years. By the time I graduated from college, my acne had become mild (to medium at times). However the biggest problem is that is spread from my face to basically my entire body, mainly the chest, back, butt and thighs. I also have had problem with csytic acne between my upper thies and along my waistline, which have dark spots after the pimple goes away. the spot fade very slowly, and sometimes linger for years. I have tried a 5 month treatment of Accutane, but that didn't seem to work at all. It just caused my lips and corners of my mouth to bleed. I have take oral antibiotics, which seem to help somewhat, but doesn't clear it completely. Using topic oinments are fine just for a person's face, but not for routinely on the body. Being very overweight, I know losing weight will help that acne problem, but I know it will still be there even if I was 50lb lighter.

I also wanted to mention that I have certain poors that reccurently produce pimples, and one of these pimples just produces white/yellow strings/gobs of stuff. I don't think it's puss, I actually it is bacteria that is not being attacked by my white blood cells, that eventually they have no more room to spread and form a head.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me in the long term? I would take accutane again if it would work well and for a long period of time. I would also take anti-biotics for a long time if they worked well too. I'm not a big fan of creams or ointments unless it's for use on problematic pimples, or on the face.

Hmm what strength of accutane were you on? If you were on for 5 months i've guessing it wasnt too high. I'm just guessing that you may need to go on it again at a higher doze. Sounds quite bad what you have. Have a talk with your dermatologist about it, i'm sure you will get yourself sorted :D... Andd to sort the bleeding lips etc that will probs be because they arnt moisturized during your treatment, make sure you put sumthing on the effected areas, like vaseline lip care or something. If you do go on accutane again just make sure your well moisturized and drink lots of water throughout the course. All the best! :D

Did u clear at all while you were on accutane and it just came back or did you not clear up throughout your course?

Hi Shar26 and LATOO,

I didn't see any improvement during the 5 months I was on Accutane, even towards the end. I don't think I was taking a high enough dosage(60mg/day), but my dermatologist wouldn't go higher. Finally because of the painful chapped lips and bleeding, I asked him if I could stop and he said yes. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I will have to go back on Accutane at a higher dosage some day. Has anyone hear anything about gene therapy for acne?

Thanks. :confused:

Accutane was a bit funny with me; it started out making me worse then i'm sure i got progressively better throughout the course but didnt clear completely. Then once i finished the course on 60MG which was over the course of 16weeks i think it was my skin stayed reasonable and within a month after stopping i completely cleared. Then after 1-2 months after that my acne began to slowly start coming back worse as ever lol.

80MG is quite high but i guess that extra strength could help you but i think you would seriously get some of the side effects and everything. Maybes you should consider it though :). Andd i've never heard of gene therapy either, what is that?

Im on 80mg and I only weigh 102lbs so I guess for those of us who it is taking forever to work its probably better to up the dosage.

hi mate, i am also 21, i have suffered from acne in the face, mild... as a teen i have used many, MANY products such as clearasil, OXY action, clean and clear blackhead liquid solution (the clear stuff in the purple bottle.)

RECENTLY, over the past couple of months, i have read somwher that aloe vera gel is effective, so i started using "gillette shaving gel for sensitive skin with aloe vera", just wash ur face with water, apply the gel, mix into a lather, and leave it there for like 5 mintues, have a shower and wash it off, after that use a good moisteriser, i have found the best combination for my type of skin to be coca butter lotion, i think its made by palmers. after doing this your face should feel like it has lost alot of stress, and pain will also be reduced.

i have used loads of things as a teen and found out mixing things and the drying out of skin makes things really bad..

but i hope u will try the shaving gel / palmer's coca butter thing, once every 2 and half days or 3 days, i wudnt recomend usage everyday because ur skin might dry out...

it also might work for females aswell,