Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JBguy

Just Curious about America..

Seems like a lot of people have a tough time getting their derm to hook up a prescription for accutane. And they are instructed to try a world of alternatives. I also get the vibe that people are fearful of trying out tane on their skin due to the side effects.

Now I live in Canada and I tried everything myself and then one day I figured it was time for accutane, and I got it from a family doctor, just asking. Got the prescription filled the same day, no blood work done yet, didn't need to until a month in.

And I was also amped for accutane. It came highly reccomended, I can deal with the side effects, I just pray it works and the time invested is well worth it.

I'm Canadian as well. I've done two courses and I only had one blood test (it was in the first course). My prescription came from a dermatologist though, not my family doctor. From reading some posts here it does seem like a much more difficult process in the USA. The only stipulation from my derm was that I had to be on birth control for a month before starting the course (and for the duration of it). But that was no problem. In the USA there's the Pledge program or something, which seems pretty intense.

I hope it works for you. :)

I'm over in England and for some reason it does seem easier to get on tane than it does reading through all the people in the US trying to get it. Fair enough i beleive i am a person who does need it because my acne is quite bad. The first time i went on i had 2 blood tests and then i changed dermatologists and i've just been put on a second round of accutane with no hesitation or blood test. My derm actually suggested i go on accutane earlier than i did but i stuck with antibiotics for some reason that did nothing. I'm going back to the derm later next month and i may get a blood test done then i'm not sure. It does seem to vary from country to country as to how easily it is to get on the stuff.

Took my dermatologist 2 years to finally let me go on accutane. Had to do blood work prior the prescription. Also, had to do the ipledge thing.

Same here, I'm Canadian, and got my prescription the day I went in to see him. I just had to have one bloodtest after a month. He said everything was perfect. Next time is two months after that.

My derm thinks it's pretty safe. He's one of those guys that doesn't believe it causes depression or anything. Seems like an ol fashioned kind of guy.

The US Food and Drug Administration closely regulates accutane, especially to women of child-bearing age. Apparently in the early days of accutane use (early 1980s), there was little regulation and a bunch of teenaged patients lied about their sexual activity and got pregnant, so now there are a few billion hoops to jump through. There are lots of derms that don't want to deal with the really annoying logging system, and my initial prescribing derm told me that they have not logged any decrease in the pregnancy rate of femal accutane users.

I am glad that my blood work is being monitored, though, personally, as the 'tane has affected my triglyceride levels -- not an extremely common side effect.