Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cdior003

6 months on accutane going on 7. Should I continue?

Hi guys, been awhile since I posted up something. Anyway I had a question but here is a brief story. I started accutane around July of 2008. 40 mg for the first two months and lowered to 10mg. My derm only had me on it for about 4 months but I had over 3 more months worth of pillls so at the 5th month I pretty much was not consistent with my treatment which my derm believed I was off of. My skin is clear and experienced no side effects besides nosebleeds and dry on the eyes and lips. My eyes got really red. Anyway, its been 6 months now and I take the pill here and there at least 10mg every other day. Has anyone tried this? Should I stop it?

*My skin looks fine its just that I noticed that after not taken it for 2 weeks my skin started to become sensitive again especially where I shave. I stopped shaving with a razor and started trimming with an electric shaver but when I try the pill again, my skin does wonders. What should I do?

You need to understand that accutane can thin your skin and make it even more sensitive. And if you are clear now then I will suggest you to stop taking this drug. But the choice is yours at the end of the day.

I think your body and whole immune system needs a "break" from accutane.

Not saying you can't get back on it eventually, but not this soon.

Agreed with the above posts. Give your body a damn break.

As your pores are clear now you could speak to your Derm about using a Retin-A product to ensure they are kept open. I wish my derm had done this after accutane treatment when I asked him for a post-tane management solution. He didn't give me anything.

Get off the tane, look into a topical retonoid.