Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MontgomeryEaston

Tobacco Use During Accutane Course

Hey, I'm new to the site! (But, sadly, not new to acne)

If anyone's curious, here's my acne timeline

15 - initial breakouts, controlled with doxycycline and benzoyl peroxide/cleanser regimen. Acne disappears for a year.

- I start smoking.

16 - brief (2-3 month) recurrence, then remission for the subsequent year (mostly perfect skin, seriously)

- I'm still smoking

17 - the cysts!! awful six-month period of inflammatory acne...

- Smoking yet

... which brings me here! I went to the dermatologist today, who immediately prescribed me accutane. That's nice and all, but I'm not so keen on giving up my habit.

So my question is, does accutance increase the risks smokers already face? Note, my question is not whether smoking has any bearing on accutane's effectiveness. It's if the rates of lung cancer, etc. are increased when on isotretinoin. Information dug up online is conflicting, but there has been at least one study where people given high doses of Vitamin A showed a higher incidence of lung cancer. How much like Vitamin A is isotretinoin?

Oh, and please no preachy posts about how terrible smoking is for me. It's pretty obvious, I'd just like to know just how much accutance factors into it. My derm didn't take the question seriously. thanks!

Hey, I'm new to the site! (But, sadly, not new to acne)

If anyone's curious, here's my acne timeline

15 - initial breakouts, controlled with doxycycline and benzoyl peroxide/cleanser regimen. Acne disappears for a year.

- I start smoking.

16 - brief (2-3 month) recurrence, then remission for the subsequent year (mostly perfect skin, seriously)

- I'm still smoking

17 - the cysts!! awful six-month period of inflammatory acne...

- Smoking yet

... which brings me here! I went to the dermatologist today, who immediately prescribed me accutane. That's nice and all, but I'm not so keen on giving up my habit.

So my question is, does accutance increase the risks smokers already face? Note, my question is not whether smoking has any bearing on accutane's effectiveness. It's if the rates of lung cancer, etc. are increased when on isotretinoin. Information dug up online is conflicting, but there have been studies where people given high doses of Vitamin A showed a higher incidence of lung cancer.

Oh, and please no preachy posts about how terrible smoking is for me. It's pretty obvious, I'd just like to know just how much accutance factors into it. My derm didn't take the question seriously. thanks!

smoking while on accutane doubles your chances of getting lung cancer in the future......as for ciggs effecting your accutane course...it shouldnt..

That's a pretty dramatic thing to say. Thanks for the reply, but could you please source that information?

lol hmmmm idono i just asked the same question to my derm about 2 months ago while i was on it...he said that it increases ur chances of long cancer but w/e IM INVINCIBLE ...lol...anyways it doesnt effect the accutane course...MY DERM told me and he is a doctor so i think he should know since he went to school for 13 years..im guessing he's pretty smart..

Okay, good to have a quote from someone's dermatologist. Thanks. Though, haha, I'm honestly skeptical... I expect anyone who's gone to med school to discourage smoking. What I'd like to see is something concrete, like a study. Because the voice in my head that tells me to put the cigs down (for the next few months at least) isn't doing the trick.

I'm a smoker and while I haven't been on tane, I do know that smoking while on birth control drastically ups your chances not only of lung cancer, but of cervical and uterine cancer. I imagine the risks stand at about the same with Accutane.

And I haven't quit yet, either - no matter what medication I was on.

I imagine the risks stand at about the same with Accutane.

Why? I don't think isotretinoin and oral contraceptives are chemically similar, since the latter targets estrogen levels.

But wow, I know a lot of female smokers who are on the pill. I wonder if they know about that?

I imagine the risks stand at about the same with Accutane.

Why? I don't think isotretinoin and oral contraceptives are chemically similar, since the latter targets estrogen levels.

But wow, I know a lot of female smokers who are on the pill. I wonder if they know about that?

ya know what....just put the damn cigg out..have some damn will power..its that simple...n dont tell me its not cause i smoked for 6 years and i just recently stopped coldturkey 2 months ago.

Haha, I respect that. Good for you!

But I happen to like smoking. A lot. I'm aware of the risks associated with it, and can already see its effect on me - my singing voice has become a lot raspier. Unfortunately, I love the effect and it only makes me smoke more.

However, if it can be verified that accutane increases these risks to substantially more than I've already made myself aware of, I'll stop. But, uh, I'd have to see proof first. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into - the flat risks are easy to find, but not much on accutane.

Haha, I respect that. Good for you!

But I happen to like smoking. A lot. I'm aware of the risks associated with it, and can already see its effect on me - my singing voice has become a lot raspier. Unfortunately, I love the effect and it only makes me smoke more.

However, if it can be verified that accutane increases these risks to substantially more than I've already made myself aware of, I'll stop. But, uh, I'd have to see proof first. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into - the flat risks are easy to find, but not much on accutane.

wow thats a strong relationship u have with ciggs....i used to love them too but then my lungs started hurting and i was like fuck this....i could really go for a newport now but w/e i have will power...anyways i dont know if there is proof that accutane a ciggs are bad but i guess u will find out the effects later in life

i guess u will find out the effects later in life

Hahahah that's the point of this thread! So I don't necessarily have to

But yeah, I've gotten winded going up stairs before, and i feel awful about it. But five minutes pass and I get my breath back and before I know it, I'm smoking! Hopefully I get sick of feeling like that, too

I've been smoking for almost three years, half a pack a day to a bit more than a pack when I'm in Europe. (hard to resist over there - they're much cheaper, and you can smoke inside!)

I recently switched to a light brand, though

How much did you smoke??

i smoked everyday for like 6 years..i never really smoked alot though (ciggs) i used to smoke alot of weed...but i stopped all that stuff....as far as ciggs go i used to smoke like 10 a day

Oh, weed! I forgot about weed!

I'm not a fanatic, but it does become a habit once in a while. And my friends are all connoisseurs of marijuana. I guess that's one thing I won't sacrifice. Though some studies suggest infrequent weed smoking is worse than daily cigarettes, because there's more tar in unprocessed marijuana... gaah, can't some medical guru just answer all these questions? I guess it all depends on the individual

You know what's funny? I was a bonafide alcoholic for most of last year - and yet, I had perfect skin.

I've been smoking for almost three years, half a pack a day to a bit more than a pack when I'm in Europe. (hard to resist over there - they're much cheaper, and you can smoke inside!)

I recently switched to a light brand, though

How much did you smoke??

Guy a half a pack a day, to a pack a day at 17?, you need a slap across the head dude, thats alot to be fuckin smoking at your age

you shouldnt even worry about accutane if you are a smoker. that should be your first priority to clear up before you even start worrying about your face.

... that's exactly the kind of post I asked people to resist. : /

But the assumption there is that every smoker feels bad about it... which isn't the case! I don't know, I'm honestly not going to let acne get in the way of my habits, good or bad. But I'm going to pick up my prescription today... and I've got a tough decision! Perhaps I'll just smoke socially on tane

... though I don't exactly have a good reason, as no one's shown me a study that suggests I should! argh so many questions

I'm not trying to sound like a militant anti-smoker, but smoking severely affected my acne before I quit a couple years ago. Once I stopped, I noticed a drastic difference. I really think you should quit smoking if you care enough about your appearance to take a drug like accutane.

Honestly, to me it just doesn't make sense.

One thing that will be impacted is the healing up after a an initial breakout or a cyst rupture. Smoking can impede healing of wounds due to decreased blood flow to the area. Just something that you maybe didn't think about...it doesn't directly relate to lung cancer, but it could make any scaring you may have much worse.

That's interesting - being so obsessed with medical research, I know that smoking has been linked with acne severity... but specifically in females. As for men, research is inconclusive but most of it suggests that there's no relationship (although overall health has an impact on the appearance of skin, obviously) Some research even suggested smoking *helps* acne for that reason (decreased blood flow to the skin, less inflammatory response) So confusing

Yeah, it does sound like an oxymoron: a heavy smoker on accutane. I guess I'm just at a crossroads - do I want to serve my endorphins and just indulge in what satisfies me or show some restraint and look better for it? I think there's something to be said for people who just let themselves go, whether that pertains to eating habits, smoking, etc. Because what, in life, doesn't kill brain cells and cause acne?

Some people on this board might say that's the attitude for clear skin, though - no worries or hang-ups, just letting things happen.

Okay, I begin my accutane course tomorrow. I'm going to try and limit my smoking (I'd say "quit" but best not get ahead of myself) Anyone able to show me anything suggesting adverse results from smoking/accutane combination? To have proof would really help me stop

Thanks

hey whats up im 19 years old its my second month on tane i was a smoker i smoked cigarettes alot my first month on tane...couldnt tell if it was bad cause i was on my IB i still have IBs but i dno i have no clue i quit couple weeks ago i am going to stop for the whole time im on tane. i was a very heavy smoker until i started coughing blood and load of mucus, bad breathe, smell like shit, girls dont like it so everything added up and i decided for now just to put it down i have my whole life to smoke a damn cigarette why start now let me enjoy my youth, and it is proven that smoking does mess with you sex life so yup good luck my condolences