Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haruka

I want to make something very clear about ACNE.

I don't know how much this has been talked about on these forums, but the skin is an organ; organs are kept healthy by ingesting that which is good for us. People seem to believe that the skin can be made healthy by external treatments JUST BECAUSE the skin happens to be what is viewed externally (rather than a crustaceous exoskeleton, although that would be cool), but our skin still obtains nutrients most readily (and actively) from the INSIDE. For those of you reading this who suffer from acne, know that external skincare is INFERIOR to internal skincare. If you want a permanent change in the health of your skin, focus on diet and exercise, rather than how many products there are to try out on the shelves.

I think the most effective way I can think of acne is that acne is not our enemy; on the contrary, acne is the process of our skin keeping us alive (the formation of acne allows our white blood cells to counteract whatever problem has seeped into a pore) - Acne is a protective function of the skin.

Comedones are not rivals to wage war upon, but they are signals to us that our skin is not healthy. For the external treatment that is necessary, be gentle to the skin. As for the internet treatment...

One major way to improve the appearance of the skin (and benefit the body) is to eat an anti-inflammatory diet (http://www.nutritiondata.com provides information on the inflammation factors of foods); the SINGLE most effective foods in reducing inflammation are fish oils, as Omega-3 Fatty Acids are so incredibly anti-inflammatory. Another (although less effective) anti-inflammatory is olive oil, if you don't happen to have a bottle of fish oil around.

The ABSOLUTE WORST FOOD regarding inflammation is refined sugar, whether in the form of corn syrups or white granules; while raw sugar (extracted from whatever source) provides some nutrition to the body, refined sugars are absolutely devoid of nutritional value and essentially are concentrated into the most repulsive thing one could ingest.

I guess my point in typing these things up is that external skincare should be very simple: An effective oil to remove makeup and cleanse the skin, and a basic, hydrating moisturizer. I think it's pretty apparent that the various indigenous peoples of the planet don't have clear, healthy skin due to their obsession with Proactive, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Murad Acne Complex, Oxy, Bioré, et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Your skin eats what you eat, and if your diet isn't healthy, your organs will not be healthy. (sic)

Makes a lot of sense to me that does :)

i've been meaning to get some fish oil and omega 3 supplements, just been busy with christmas and everything but i know for sure its something i need to give a try :D.

So, now it's been moved to the forum where you are preaching to the choir as we all know this on the Nutrition board.

I think it should have been left wherever it was posted unless that was a completely inappropriate place.

We try to keep things in place. Posts about Accutane go in the Accutane forum. Posts about the Acneorg.com regimen go in the Acneorg.com regimen forum. Posts about nutrition go into the nutrition forum.

That sort of thing, as radical of an idea as it may sound.

I couldn't agree more. My dad used to tell me diet didn't matter. He had severe, untreated acne when he was young and put nothing but drugs in his body that whole time when he was going through 6 years of awful acne (now he eats a bad diet and still falls back on cigarettes and alcohol). I did the same and experienced bad reactions, esp to refined sugar, soda, dairy, caffeine, amphetamines, cocaine and heroin (I NEVER took care of myself). The heroin did the most damage to my skin. For the past 8 months I've been clean and very healthy and it's made a HUGE difference. I do believe that topicals may help, but diet is the most important thing when it comes to healthy, clear skin.

So what about those who eat like shit, sleep like shit, don't exercise and still have clear skin?

So what about those who eat like shit, sleep like shit, don't exercise and still have clear skin?

People's bodies react to toxins and impurities differently.

While some people get bad acne from their diet, others may get high blood pressure, fatigue, irregularity, clogged arteries, and in severe cases of bad nutrition, heart attacks and massive organ failure.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we have such a visible warning sign of our internal processes going awry so that we can turn things around long before it's too late. Some people never know until it's far too late that they are unhealthy or even dying.

yeah you mentioned that acne keeps us alive because it filters out toxins. so wouldn't it kind of make sense to have a shitty diet and have a crappy immune system, and this would technically make you break out less? yeah its unhealthy, but it helps your acne. this might be why people who eat tones of fast food and never have a single breakout. and then people on here who go out of there way to eat healthy, still break out from drinking a "bad" food, like a glass of milk. when your immune system is in tip top shape and it wants to filter toxins out of the body, it'll just send it to your face.

What a wonderfully informative thread.

I think you are right in trying to inform people who are not already interested in the topic, however posting unrelated threads in areas that do not apply as well as this one is not the way to go. If you want to inform people outside of this "nutrition and holistic health" part of the forum, you must do it with individual posts on other people's threads.

I have spent a lot of time spreading my word (I sound like a devout Christian here... haha) in the "emotional and psychological" part of the site. I have dabbled a little in the moderate acne section as well.

You are 100% right that acne is an internal problem, which is why I implore people who do not have some sort of real skin disorder that runs in the family to just stop all use of topical treatment... but for the most part, you are going to be preaching to the choir. It still is not useless to remind people of why nutrition and holistic health is really what needs to be focused on though.

A little analogy:

Most people who get lung cancer smoke; but not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer.

Make sense?

A little analogy:

Most people who get lung cancer smoke; but not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer.

Make sense?

Nice one rakbs! :surprised: I was just going to reply on the incorrectness of that logic...

Another way to put it would be:-

There exists a subset of smokers who acquire lung cancer.

There exists a subset of people with unhealthy eating/sleeping/exercise habits, who are prone to acne.

I totally understand the diet thing, but why is it that my skin can be perfect for years when my diet is a little slack, perhaps a bit too much alcohol and partying and then all of a sudden, when i think everything is good, diet etc, it erupts out of nowhere??!!

I wonder if it has a lot to do with emotions? I have been very angry about certain things this year and suddenly i have acne again. I have had clear skin for about 3 years regardless of diet before now, so i cant help wondering if there can be other factors/triggers for the acne to start up again.

What a wonderfully informative thread.

I think you are right in trying to inform people who are not already interested in the topic, however posting unrelated threads in areas that do not apply as well as this one is not the way to go. If you want to inform people outside of this "nutrition and holistic health" part of the forum, you must do it with individual posts on other people's threads.

I have spent a lot of time spreading my word (I sound like a devout Christian here... haha) in the "emotional and psychological" part of the site. I have dabbled a little in the moderate acne section as well.

You are 100% right that acne is an internal problem, which is why I implore people who do not have some sort of real skin disorder that runs in the family to just stop all use of topical treatment... but for the most part, you are going to be preaching to the choir. It still is not useless to remind people of why nutrition and holistic health is really what needs to be focused on though.

I'm really sorry about that; it wasn't really my intention to even inform an outside group. I had just gone into the forum that was relevant to me (my type of acne) without really... Paying enough attention.

I don't know how much this has been talked about on these forums, but the skin is an organ; organs are kept healthy by ingesting that which is good for us. People seem to believe that the skin can be made healthy by external treatments JUST BECAUSE the skin happens to be what is viewed externally (rather than a crustaceous exoskeleton, although that would be cool), but our skin still obtains nutrients most readily (and actively) from the INSIDE. For those of you reading this who suffer from acne, know that external skincare is INFERIOR to internal skincare. If you want a permanent change in the health of your skin, focus on diet and exercise, rather than how many products there are to try out on the shelves.

I think the most effective way I can think of acne is that acne is not our enemy; on the contrary, acne is the process of our skin keeping us alive (the formation of acne allows our white blood cells to counteract whatever problem has seeped into a pore) - Acne is a protective function of the skin.

Comedones are not rivals to wage war upon, but they are signals to us that our skin is not healthy. For the external treatment that is necessary, be gentle to the skin. As for the internet treatment...

One major way to improve the appearance of the skin (and benefit the body) is to eat an anti-inflammatory diet (http://www.nutritiondata.com provides information on the inflammation factors of foods); the SINGLE most effective foods in reducing inflammation are fish oils, as Omega-3 Fatty Acids are so incredibly anti-inflammatory. Another (although less effective) anti-inflammatory is olive oil, if you don't happen to have a bottle of fish oil around.

The ABSOLUTE WORST FOOD regarding inflammation is refined sugar, whether in the form of corn syrups or white granules; while raw sugar (extracted from whatever source) provides some nutrition to the body, refined sugars are absolutely devoid of nutritional value and essentially are concentrated into the most repulsive thing one could ingest.

I guess my point in typing these things up is that external skincare should be very simple: An effective oil to remove makeup and cleanse the skin, and a basic, hydrating moisturizer. I think it's pretty apparent that the various indigenous peoples of the planet don't have clear, healthy skin due to their obsession with Proactive, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Murad Acne Complex, Oxy, Bioré, et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Your skin eats what you eat, and if your diet isn't healthy, your organs will not be healthy. (sic)

you are so right you dont even know.

science is about finding causation, the answer is in your environment, in your head and also in your diet, the answer isnt a topical nor any manipulation of the body.

the most immediate factor you can control is your diet, i have thought this crap through for far too long now and from my studies ive learned that genes change to adapt to their environment. give the body (and mind) exactly what it needs and that is the best you can do for your entire lifetime.

you need love and friends and good times, dump those crappy people you are calling friends and get the real shit.

Make sure you get all the minerals and vitamins your body needs AND enough to cure any deficiencys you may have developed over time. Also make sure you are absorbing them.

Minerals seem to be the foundation of your body, calcium magnesium being perhaps the most important. Potassium is the absolute hardest to get, adults need 4700mg, when you realized youll have to eat like 25 carrots just to achieve this you will then realize the effects of industrialization have had on the quality of produce.

calcium and magnesium compete for eachother and are earth metals that the cells use to conduct electricity. to much calcium makes organs and tissues sluggish, magnesium is known for its youth effects. stress and poor sleep deplete magnesium big time.

potassium and sodium(death) also compete for each other also are part of the electrical component of cell membranes. something called membrane potential, look it up. Also your neurons are highly dependant on potassium to carry out action potential, another electrical thingy ma bob your cells need to do to think. so think of sodium as death to the brain machine.

vitamins are much easier to get and absorb, its the minerals that are the most important and trickiest to get.

Read about linus pauling he won a nobel prize in chemistry wrote the most authoritative textbook on chemstry used by universitys and said many diseases may be due to deficiencys over a peroid of time.

here is a google preveiw of an awesome book made by the linus pauling institute

http://books.google.com/books?id=5gfuLvlj5...ns+and+Minerals

and yes sugar is the worst food, it costs vitamins and minerals to metabolize it, yet provide none to replace it. So the more you eat it the functioning of your body declines as it robs you of your life.

If you are getting enough vitamins and minerals from your food though, some suger shouldnt be a problem, but its the absence of vitamins and minerals that will mess you up.

I totally understand the diet thing, but why is it that my skin can be perfect for years when my diet is a little slack, perhaps a bit too much alcohol and partying and then all of a sudden, when i think everything is good, diet etc, it erupts out of nowhere??!!

I wonder if it has a lot to do with emotions? I have been very angry about certain things this year and suddenly i have acne again. I have had clear skin for about 3 years regardless of diet before now, so i cant help wondering if there can be other factors/triggers for the acne to start up again.

i think its possible for certain emotions can change your requirement for vitamins and minerals as well as your hormonal balance.

To add to AutonomousOne1980's excellent info, the nutritional profile of your father and mother during conception (and especially your mother's during pregnancy) pass on to you. Therefore, the predisposition to diseases and illnesses that are caused by certain deficiencies are passed on this way. This is the cause of hereditary illness- it has little to do with DNA/genes because these can both be changed/corrected with proper nutrition.