Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notfun

cyclical breakouts in Males

Hey. This might have been covered here before. I am new. But these message boards are pretty dense and I'm not very good at sifting through things that might address this specific problem. So i apologize if i am repeating something.

I'm a male, mid 20's. I notice that some parts of the month my face will clear up (for the most part, save scars from previous breakouts) and then all of the sudden it will flare up again. These flare ups are super painful red bumps around my chin/mouth (not even really bumps) sometimes i think they are are ingrown hairs, but they don't even look like them. IN fact they aren't really bumps just like small tiny red areas that are super tender and annoying. I'll try all different types of astringents and anti-inflammatory product and nothing works. It seems i just have to wait it out. days go by and they go away, but leave annoying scars or peripheral pimples.

Then the other half of the month (almost split down the middle) is when my skin seems like it's in top form, healing up. Super tough durable, not sensitive. I can shave and not get any signs of razor burn or rash (as opposed to the darker time of the month).

I am curious if any other male has this? It's really frustrating. It's like i have to hibernate for the part of the month (assuming the flareups/breakouts don't linger over into the good part). I've been trying to eat healthier. Practically cut out on dairy, eat more vegetables fruits and other foods high in antioxidants. Is this a temporary thing? Because its gotten slightly worse over the years it wasn't this bad when i was 21-22.

Any of your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey. This might have been covered here before. I am new. But these message boards are pretty dense and I'm not very good at sifting through things that might address this specific problem. So i apologize if i am repeating something.

I'm a male, mid 20's. I notice that some parts of the month my face will clear up (for the most part, save scars from previous breakouts) and then all of the sudden it will flare up again. These flare ups are super painful red bumps around my chin/mouth (not even really bumps) sometimes i think they are are ingrown hairs, but they don't even look like them. IN fact they aren't really bumps just like small tiny red areas that are super tender and annoying. I'll try all different types of astringents and anti-inflammatory product and nothing works. It seems i just have to wait it out. days go by and they go away, but leave annoying scars or peripheral pimples.

Then the other half of the month (almost split down the middle) is when my skin seems like it's in top form, healing up. Super tough durable, not sensitive. I can shave and not get any signs of razor burn or rash (as opposed to the darker time of the month).

I am curious if any other male has this? It's really frustrating. It's like i have to hibernate for the part of the month (assuming the flareups/breakouts don't linger over into the good part). I've been trying to eat healthier. Practically cut out on dairy, eat more vegetables fruits and other foods high in antioxidants. Is this a temporary thing? Because its gotten slightly worse over the years it wasn't this bad when i was 21-22.

Any of your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am exactly the same way. I am 24 and this cycle really just started happening. I am really starting to believe razor irritation is killing my face and causing acne though I do everything to prevent it. If I do not shave for a couple of days my acne begins to heal right up.

I think its the weather. When the weather was hot earlier this year, in summer, I didn't have a single bit of acne. Even all my scars had faded. In fact I thought it was cured! I started having awful breakouts as soon as the weather started becoming cooler. Its winter now :(

I'm the same. Two weeks of getting better, two weeks of getting worst. More or less. But what I think is that in the end it is hormonal imbalance and by itself it might not be much of a problem, but certain actions taken during the "wrong week" will cause a major imbalance that leads to a breakout. So no masturbation for me, because I used to fool myself into thinking it wasn't related because it didn't always trigger breakouts, but recently after deciding I'd masturbate no more than one or twice a week and for no more than 10 mins or so, I healed like I haven't in a long time.

I also think sleep is really important.

I can't remember where I read it for the life of me, but I do recall seeing that men, just like women, do have a monthly hormonal surge - it's simply that due to not having a uterus, they don't have periods. It made sense.

I've always heard that men's hormones fluctuate throughout the day, not in anything like a monthly cycle. Women's hormones do the same, except with the addition of progesterone which surges for a period when the woman might conceive, then goes down.

Do your eating, sleeping, exercise habits change during the month? Get exposed to something?

And the zits always appear in the same areas. They go away, often not leaving any noticeable trace, only to reappear in the future.

Medic - yeah exactly. they always reappear in the same places. like some perpetually infected pore or ones that are more susceptible.. unfortunately :(

I've improved my diet. I exercise more (even more than what i normally do, which i guess is good) and i still notice the same exact things.

Chocobot - Due do my minor depression (from you know what, in addition to other things) my libido is practically gone. I rarely have the urge and rarely act on it. at least once a month but even then rarely. So I am not sure if that is the case for me, since the breakouts and inflammation are relatively consistent.

I suppose i am gonna try editing my diet more.. drinking more green tea etc. It's just hard to pinpoint, it's also a big mindf*ck when you feel relatively confident/clear one week and then like some ugly blemish-ridden outcast the next. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a feeling i wasn't the only person with this type of problem.