Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loci

Spiro Story....7 months

So I thought I would update everyone with my spiro use. Quick background.....I am 31 and have dealt with PMS acne since I was 17. My face would break out terribly about one week prior and after my period with out only 1 week of clear skin a month, if that. This has been a very emotional journey for me and unfortunately it has not ended.

I've tried everything under the sun. Topicals just do not work on me. I have been on BCP and not only did it not work, but I hated what BCP does to my body. I was on antibiotics and surprisingly, doxycycline worked the best for me, but I had to go off of it because I got pregnant.

While pregnant, my skin never looked better. It was awesome. But that was short lived. I had my baby and the break outs started again. I went to my derm who put me on clindamycin while breastfeeding and of course that did nothing to help my acne. After I stopped breastfeeding, my derm thought it would be best to try spiro (50 mg). I was SOOOOO excited. I read up on the drug, read reviews and I thought "this sounds like the miracle I've been waiting for." Boy was I disappointed. I started it and as some of you may remember me posting, I had the WORST breakout that I have ever had. I even called in "sick" to work out of sheer embarassement from how my face looked. I booked an appt with my derm and he put me on doxcycline to help with the breakout and told me to stick with Spiro. He said he's never seen anyone breakout from the spiro. It was less than a week and my acne started to heal thanks to doxy. I continued my doxy/sprio combo for about 4 months, and while I had breakouts here and there, it was nothing that wasn't controllable and I was content. I finished the doxy and have continued on spiro.

My skin started to get bad again. It was definitely the doxy that cleared my skin and kept it manageable. Everyone told me to just stick with spiro, but after almost 7 months with no visible change, I don't think it's doing anything for me.....in fact, I think it's making it worse.

I am so upset. I thought this was going to be the miracle I was waiting for because I deal only with the PMS acne.

I don't know what to do at this point. I have 6 more spiro pills and I am supposed to get a refill for yet another long month of agony. I think I am going to stop and wait for this miracle to happen. So that is my spiro story. Although, I have to admit, the weight loss that I have had from spiro has been AWESOME. That I will definitely miss.

So, what should I expect from stopping spiro? I am nervous that my current horrible breakout is going to get 10 times worse........ :(

50mg is a very small dose and may be the reason for your lack of success. I take 175, but I wish I was taking 200. When I take 200 my skin is PERFECT. At 175 I will get an occasional small teeny bump. My Dr will only prescribe 150 so I am always pushing the refill date- LOL.

I broke out badly with Spiro when I started and had to add erythromycin (it really helped) and was afraid to go off of it when my skin cleared. I tapered off of it.

See if your Dr will increase your dosage. What else do you have to lose?

Well I would try an increased dose, but in all honesty, I don't know if it's worth putting my health at risk. Any drug that you take, especially one used for ESRD patients, can take a toll on your body. I am not too sure that I want to take that route any more. Not to mention the side effects from sprio. I still get headaches and I feel tired all the time from it. To top it off, I get my period every 2-3 weeks, which is unheard of for me. I also think the connection with dealing with PMS related acne and getting my period so often using spiro is making my skin worse. If my acne flares up right before my period and spiro makes my period come every 2-3 weeks, my skin has no time to heal and I am constantly dealing with PMS acne. I guess that has always been a point of confusion for me in regards to spiro. Spiro is an androgen blocker, but at the same time, it makes your cycles really close together. Every time your cycle comes, your males hormones increase. It makes no sense to me.

Plus, my husband and I are going to try this summer for our second child and I want to be free of any type of Rx medications.

In fact, I am on this herbal kick and have tossed all makeup and face products that contains parabens and the like. I am using the Collective Well-Being acne kit which is actually helping my skin and I have only been using it for a week. I also increased my water intake and fish oil consumption, so I hope that helps as well. Only time will tell.

I cannot completely say that I will stay away from Rx drugs in the future because if my acne gets out of control again, I will most likely go back on a doxy regimen since that seemed to keep things under control for me. And plus, if spiro did in fact work for me, I would be singing a different tune because I know that if my skin was clear right now, I would not be complaining.

I agree with mylimage.... 50 mg is not enough. If you don't feel comfortable taking a higher dose, that's OK, but Spiro for hormonal acne really requires at least 100 mg daily (and upwards to 200 mg if 100 mg is not effective and/or you have other complications such as hirsutism). If you're taking less than 100 mg, you might as well stop all together because I doubt it will ever be enough to curb your acne.

Loci,

I feel real badly for anyone who has acne. I know the pain. I'm sorry your treatment has not worked for you. I can almost see how too small a dosage would mess with things but not fix them.

I also started on 50 and didnt see any results.

My periods have normaled themselves over the 1.5 years I've been taking spiro. I only notice light bleeding and I have no other period symptoms. Occasionally I get dizzy if I stand up fast, but it is momentary. If I have a headache it is because I haven't had enought liquids.

I think Peachy would agree with me on this too... it seems that most women who don't have luck with spiro are 1) the first to bring up safey issues and 2) not taking enough so why bother.

Acne takes a toll on all of us. The medications we go on are made with our own research and with the approval of our doctors. We all choose them when the benefits outweigh the risks. I guarantee you wouldn't be negative about spiro if your skin was clearing. (chicken and steak take a toll on ESRD patients)

Spiro altered my life and continues to do so. I could type for an hour about how things changed with clear skin (as well as no more greasy hair, bigger boobs, smoother skin on my legs and zero PMS). I didn't just get rid of acne, I got perfect skin.

mylimage, I do agree that I would be singing a different tune if my skin was perfectly clear using spiro, make no mistake that I would be extremely happy. However, I am not just bringing up the safety issue because it did not work me for. In fact, my dermatologist said that there is no way that he would put me on this drug long term. He prescribed topicals, along with spiro and said that within a year, he wants me off of spiro completely.

I work in the health care field and specifically have a masters in public health. I am the first to experience how doctors over prescribe medications in this country. From personal experience, I will tell you a quick story. I suffer from extreme anxiety. I always dealt with it, but I needed to get it under control as it kept getting worse over the years. I finally told my PCP about it and he put my on Cymbalta. Not only did he put me on an anti-depressant (I have anxiety, not depression), but he put me on such a high dose to start with that I had major complications and side effects. One night, it was so severe that my husband almost had to take me to the hsp. I was FURIOUS with my doctor and as I work for a bunch of different doctors myself, they were shocked by what this doctor has done to me, especially the extremely high dose he put me on. The said the dose he gave me was for people taking that medication for several years and for those who were in deep depression. The moral of this story......don't always trust that what your doctor is prescribing is always the best thing for you and your health. I have read here that some derms would never even prescribe spiro for their patients, so we cannot always depend on our doctors here in this country to always know what's right for us.

I am extremely happy that spiro worked for you and for so many women on here. I wish I could have the same experience, but in all honesty, if my derm would have pulled me off in a year anyway, I guess it wouldn't have made much of a difference for me personally to increase dosage at this point.

I am happy to report that my skin is clearing up nicely since I started using different products on my face, so hopefully it will get better from here. :)

I wish you continued success with your treatment!!!!

Did you take spiro for your acne? I have been on the spiro for about a month and a half. The oiliness I can see a difference. I am on 50 mgs and about 2 weeks ago my derm increased it to 100mgs. I tried to take the increased dosage and after 2 days felt terribly horrid. So I backed off of it and went back to the 50. I tried to increase it again to the 100 a couple of days ago and had an even worse reaction. I haven't seen much improvement at all on it for the acne and realize by everyone's standards on here I haven't been on it very long. When I tried to take the higher dosage the second time, I had a rapid increase in blood pressure and heart rate. So much so I had to call a relative to come, as I live alone, and had to call my family dr for advice. My heart was about to pound out of my chest and my bp was extremely high. This took about an hour for it to start coming down. Since then I haven't felt good at all. I began having seizures about 2 years ago at age 44. And the day after this I had a small one. I go tomorrow to have blood work from my family dr. But just can't seem to get going. I haven't felt this bad in quite some time. I don't think I will be continuing this spiro. Can you tell me what you are using for your skin, maybe, just maybe, I haven't tried it. I have used just everything imaginable. I was really hoping this spiro was my miracle drug. Looks like that is not the case.

Mimi

mylimage, I do agree that I would be singing a different tune if my skin was perfectly clear using spiro, make no mistake that I would be extremely happy. However, I am not just bringing up the safety issue because it did not work me for. In fact, my dermatologist said that there is no way that he would put me on this drug long term. He prescribed topicals, along with spiro and said that within a year, he wants me off of spiro completely.

I work in the health care field and specifically have a masters in public health. I am the first to experience how doctors over prescribe medications in this country. From personal experience, I will tell you a quick story. I suffer from extreme anxiety. I always dealt with it, but I needed to get it under control as it kept getting worse over the years. I finally told my PCP about it and he put my on Cymbalta. Not only did he put me on an anti-depressant (I have anxiety, not depression), but he put me on such a high dose to start with that I had major complications and side effects. One night, it was so severe that my husband almost had to take me to the hsp. I was FURIOUS with my doctor and as I work for a bunch of different doctors myself, they were shocked by what this doctor has done to me, especially the extremely high dose he put me on. The said the dose he gave me was for people taking that medication for several years and for those who were in deep depression. The moral of this story......don't always trust that what your doctor is prescribing is always the best thing for you and your health. I have read here that some derms would never even prescribe spiro for their patients, so we cannot always depend on our doctors here in this country to always know what's right for us.

I am extremely happy that spiro worked for you and for so many women on here. I wish I could have the same experience, but in all honesty, if my derm would have pulled me off in a year anyway, I guess it wouldn't have made much of a difference for me personally to increase dosage at this point.

I am happy to report that my skin is clearing up nicely since I started using different products on my face, so hopefully it will get better from here. :)

I wish you continued success with your treatment!!!!

Loci,

I feel real badly for anyone who has acne. I know the pain. I'm sorry your treatment has not worked for you. I can almost see how too small a dosage would mess with things but not fix them.

My periods have normaled themselves over the 1.5 years I've been taking spiro. I only notice light bleeding and I have no other period symptoms. Occasionally I get dizzy if I stand up fast, but it is momentary. If I have a headache it is because I haven't had enought liquids.

I think Peachy would agree with me on this too... it seems that most women who don't have luck with spiro are 1) the first to bring up safey issues and 2) not taking enough so why bother.

Acne takes a toll on all of us. The medications we go on are made with our own research and with the approval of our doctors. We all choose them when the benefits outweigh the risks. I guarantee you wouldn't be negative about spiro if your skin was clearing. (chicken and steak take a toll on ESRD patients)

Spiro altered my life and continues to do so. I could type for an hour about how things changed with clear skin (as well as no more greasy hair, bigger boobs, smoother skin on my legs and zero PMS). I didn't just get rid of acne, I got perfect skin.

HI!

do you think that me taking the doxy with the spiro is necessary? i have heard that antibiotics can cause the bumps on my chin like the skin colored ones that are under the skin? im on 100 mg of doxy and 50mg of spiro..been on the doxy a few months and spiro about a month now.

Loci,

I am a 33 year old female with mild-moderate hormonal acne. Acne problem areas are small clusters on both jawlines by chin, as well as bout 2-4 cysts a month in the chin area. I also have small clusters on my laugh line area above my mouth and mild acne on my cheeks. No acne on my forehead, temples, or nose. My acne is very stubborn and does not completely go away and gets worse around my cycle. I've noticed after coming off birth control (in June 2010) that my acne has gotten progressively worse and I don't know how much worse it could possibly get, so I'm trying to catch it now. The acne on my jawline and chin appeared (about Dec 2010) after a failed attempt of 2 months on Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion 1%. After that prescription, my family doctor (who wouldn't approve me to see a dermatologist, go figure) prescribed my Doxycyline and I do not want to take it. I prefer the Spiro route, because I've found from past experience in high school, when my acne was at it's worst, that sometimes dermatology treats the symptoms and not the cause which lead up to me taking Accutane back then, nothing else would work. I am going to see a dermatologist soon and I want to request Spiro, and I would like to know the following from you kind ladies:

1) How hard was it for you to find a dermatologist that understood and knew about Spiro and/or did you have a hard time convincing him/her to prescribe it you?

2) Can you explain your regime? From reading this thread I've noticed the most effective dosage to start is 75-100 mg a day, but how do you take it, daily, only around your cycle? I would prefer to take it only around my cycle to minimize side effects, but I don't want to impact the overall results?

Thank you!

I'm clear on 50 mg and started seeing results in 2 weeks and except for one pimple, did not had the initial breakout even though I started using Epiduo at the same time. I'm 30. See my other long post on what exactly I do. But it's all inexpensive and easy to find stuff. You need a good dermatologist who can understand the cause of your acne. Hormonal acne is less common that many people think and should be suspected in women in their late twenties and older.