Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tommytong

Acne on head/back of head

Hello everyone,

First time poster. I've been browsing these forums and it seem like a great place! As the topic suggests, I'm looking for information on treating acne on the head and particularly on the back near the neck.

Now I understand the back area near the neck is a primary place for perspiration and I'm assuming that has something to do with the amount of acne appearing there.

So I guess the question is what can I do?

Sorry I'm still trying to get familiar with the terms so please correct me.

Now I have seen a dermatologist who prescribed some antibiotics as well as a 10% BP which seemed to help for a brief period of time. Also stinks how it can bleach your clothes as my neck would rub along the back collar of the shirts I wear.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

First time poster. I've been browsing these forums and it seem like a great place! As the topic suggests, I'm looking for information on treating acne on the head and particularly on the back near the neck.

Now I understand the back area near the neck is a primary place for perspiration and I'm assuming that has something to do with the amount of acne appearing there.

Now I have seen a dermatologist who prescribed some antibiotics as well as a 10% BP which seemed to help for a brief period of time. Also stinks how it can bleach your clothes as my neck would rub along the back collar of the shirts I wear.

Thanks in advance!

I realize you went to a derm, but are you sure it isnt folliculitis? that seems like a common spot to get infected, particularly if you go to a gym.

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I realize you went to a derm, but are you sure it isnt folliculitis? that seems like a common spot to get infected, particularly if you go to a gym.

Just doing a quick research on folliculitis, it very well maybe so. What's the best way of treating it? Is there a for sure way to tell if it is?

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Just doing a quick research on folliculitis, it very well maybe so. What's the best way of treating it? Is there a for sure way to tell if it is?

well, from what you describe, it sounds like i actually had the same problem. just like you, i went to a dermatologist before who had identified it as acne. A short while later, i went to another, and he called it folliculitis. i got prescribed erythromycin, which is an anti-biotic, and it has made some pretty good progress in the 4 or so weeks that i have been on it. Here is a current pic, that might help you identify. Unfortunately i dont have any "before" pics where it shows a lot more clearly.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more it seems like folliculitis. Is there any treatment other than anti-biotic by chance or is that the "best" way to go?

Thanks!

hi I HAVE the same thing, its all over the back of my head aswel, only in areas where ive got hair, so not really lower (hair free) areas of my neck

i went to private healthcare after taking some bullshit advice (ketopine shampoo) from my local GP

...the derm told me the same thing about the clothes not irratating the back of the head neck, this seems virtually impossible, but anyway...

i was prescribed erythromycin 500mg twice a day (drugs) + fucidin (CREAM)+ naseptin (nasal cream) for 2 months, after almost 1or 2 weeks the infection appeared to have cleared,

i continued the medication for 2 months, and a couple of weeks AFTER i had finished taking the drugs the infection reapeared!!!.... then i went on this website....

he intially took a swab and said it was a gram-negative infection which was deep and which was spreading...

i dnt kno how severe ur infection is but mines was really painful and depressing, at one point i had to take painkillers to help me sleep and now the pain is returning,

im going to see the derm again this week and il see what he says... i really need something quick, in the mean time i have resorted to gillete shaving foam, its done wonders to my facial acne and it seems to have cooled the back of my head today....

I can't say that mine is causing any pain and I've had it for a long time now. So I'm not sure if there are different variations. Good luck at the derm's though and let us know how it goes!

I'm still wondering if there's anyway around the anti-biotic.

Edit: It seems like anti-biotic is the only way around it. I guess for other people who have tried it. Has it worked? Once you stopped the anti-biotic has it come back? Any information would be great!

I can't say that mine is causing any pain and I've had it for a long time now. So I'm not sure if there are different variations. Good luck at the derm's though and let us know how it goes!

Edit: It seems like anti-biotic is the only way around it. I guess for other people who have tried it. Has it worked? Once you stopped the anti-biotic has it come back? Any information would be great!

Here is my situation- i developed the alleged folliculitis on the neck/scalp conversion, and it got increasingly worse. i went to the derm, he prescribed the erythromycin and the tetracyclin. i took those for a few weeks, and it all seemed to clear up and disappear. i continued taking them, but just as my confidence that i had cured it started to mount, the problem has kind of been creeping back. thats where i have been the last week or so. im not sure if it is shampoo related or not. to be honest, im still very much confused by it.

Here is my situation- i developed the alleged folliculitis on the neck/scalp conversion, and it got increasingly worse. i went to the derm, he prescribed the erythromycin and the tetracyclin. i took those for a few weeks, and it all seemed to clear up and disappear. i continued taking them, but just as my confidence that i had cured it started to mount, the problem has kind of been creeping back. thats where i have been the last week or so. im not sure if it is shampoo related or not. to be honest, im still very much confused by it.

hi mate, yeah im also wondering if it is shampoo related, im gona ask the derm aswell, i was using tresseme shampoo, then i saw the GP (doc) and was given ketopine shampoo to use along side which did not improve the condition and jus dried out the spots which reappeared, then i went private and got drugs, i also switched shampoo to head and shoulders only, but since the infection reappeared rencently i have switched it again to wat appears to be more of a natural ingredient shampoo called timontei... i think natural shampoos mite be the way togo, i found a shop in london called the hair shop on the internet who seem to have natural shampoos formulated from natural extracts (extracts from trees).... but il see how it goes anyway, this condition really bugs me, and i cant get a hair cut till this clears up now and my graduation is coming up aswel !!!!!!!! :(

i have done abit of research and im still awaiting to see the derm but..... i have bought a shampoo which im praying will heal my infection for good.. its chemical free and contains neem and tea tree oils which will hopefully make my scalp back to how it was 5 years ago!!

i have read it is generally a good was and tea tree oil clears various types of gram-positive and negative bacteria,

the site appeared to be a bit dodgey , but i spoke to the guy on the fone who said hes posted my order, il let u know the website and everything, once its here and if its worked...

ok, heres my update, i have bought a shampoo made by a company called

http://www.botanicals.co.uk/acatalog/natur...atree.html#a695

neem and tea treee shampoo, above is the link of the shampoo with ingrediants, it seems to have reduced the sizes and number of spots on the head. i have told the derm that i have changed from head and shoulders to this shampoo, he is aware of the antibacterial properties of tea tree, but he believes it could be of a low concentration, hence not being effective enough.

i bought it from a website called purbodycare.com who also sells the same thing.

i have used the shampoo from less than a week so far, and it has not totally cleared up, there are areas which seem to have cleared, but i think im still getting one or two fresh spots.

i went to the derm today, who noticed 3 pus-filled spots and then took a swab of the pus and also abit a blood. he will analyse the pus and blood and see what develops from it.

he thinks it could be linked to the bacteria living in one of my hoods ?? so i mite try and go hood or collar free for as long as i can, dont have a coat which irratates the collar though ?? :sick:

he might prescribe something stronger like accutane which is used for acne although, what i have on my head is not acne, but the accutane is linked to oil in the sebaseus gland, and he believes a short course of that might cure it.

anyway he is going to analyse the blood and get back to me.

if your condition is not that severe, id recomend buying a herbal shampoo and see how it goes, be careful becasue u mite get a herbal shampoo in the supermarket which will contain many chemicals, the one i bought only seemed to have one chemical and everything else is natural.

at the moment i am getin very depressed, i have started drug abuse on nurofen for the past couple of days, i am also a stronger believer in god as a hindu; and karma is one of our principles. i have not done anything wrong to anyone and i dont know what i have done to deserve this, if this problem continues i may just give up altogether.

here are some other bookmarks for future ref.

http://searchwarp.com/swa263449.htm

Hey man, don't give up!

It sucks, but you aren't the only one suffering from it.

I still have yet to try anything regarding my issue on my head/neck. I actually started a new post on this forum with a couple pics. The more I think about it, the more I think it's folliculitis.

I might try Nizoral and see what happens, although I'd like some more opinions before starting to do so.

Edit: Here's the thread fyi. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/PF-else-t222411.html

Good evening Vishallondon,

Just to rectify

"i bought it from a website called purbodycare.com who also sells the same thing."

It was http://www.purbodycare.co.uk

Glad to hear that the Neem and Tee Trea Natural shampoo helped you. Hope you will be cleared of your scalp problems very soon.

ok, heres my update, i have bought a shampoo made by a company called

neem and tea treee shampoo, above is the link of the shampoo with ingrediants, it seems to have reduced the sizes and number of spots on the head. i have told the derm that i have changed from head and shoulders to this shampoo, he is aware of the antibacterial properties of tea tree, but he believes it could be of a low concentration, hence not being effective enough.

i bought it from a website called purbodycare.com who also sells the same thing.

i have used the shampoo from less than a week so far, and it has not totally cleared up, there are areas which seem to have cleared, but i think im still getting one or two fresh spots.

i went to the derm today, who noticed 3 pus-filled spots and then took a swab of the pus and also abit a blood. he will analyse the pus and blood and see what develops from it.

he thinks it could be linked to the bacteria living in one of my hoods ?? so i mite try and go hood or collar free for as long as i can, dont have a coat which irratates the collar though ?? :sick:

he might prescribe something stronger like accutane which is used for acne although, what i have on my head is not acne, but the accutane is linked to oil in the sebaseus gland, and he believes a short course of that might cure it.

anyway he is going to analyse the blood and get back to me.

I had this bumps for 7 years now, and it seems we might have the same thing. I am not sure if you were able to find help but i have done a few things to contained them from spreading

i used Garlic(works for 2-3 days)

Salt and warm water

nothing useful

It was spreading on top of my head but it somehow stopped which was really weird. I am just wondering if you found anything from your blood sample

o yeah i went to the derm for 2 years and nothing. A cream and a anti bacteria pill that did nothing. Just in case someone ask to go and see a doctor lol

I heard that gram-negative bacteria is really bad for you, and hard to get rid of. Anyways, if you have the folliculitis, dandruff shampoo does wonders. Good luck 2 you mate.

I had acne on the back of my head, in the hair, for a few years. It drove me crazy. I was convinced it was caused by diet, but it took me a long time to work out what exactly. Pretty sure I've cracked it now. The main cause was what I was eating for breakfast:

1. Porridge (oats) - I thought this was good for my skin so didn't consider it could be the cause of my problems. But when I'd switched to a vegan diet, and still I got spots, I figured it must be the oats. I stopped the oats and the spots went away after about 4 weeks.

A couple of years later, I started getting the spots again. What was I eating for breakfast?

2. Fruit salad and yoghurt: stopped eating it and spots cleared. Was it the dairy produce or the fruit? I wasn't sure.

Fast forward another 12 months or so and the problem came back. Went back to basics with the diet again until it was pretty much vegan. Still had the problem. Cracked it again, once more it was my breakfast cereal:

3. Raisin wheats.

Stopped eating them, problem went away.

So what was the cause? Well, definitely the oats were a trigger. I'm not sure about dairy, but I've pretty much cut out dairy produce. My theory on the fruit/raisin wheats is that they contain a lot of sugar. Just eating toast for breakfast, or scrambled eggs, anything low GI (apart from oats), and my skin has cleared.

So, I'd say, check your diet, especially your breakfast cereal, and don't eat any sugar, especially in the morning.

Hope this helps someone!

Weird, I've had the same thing for the past two years. I've even had a round of accutane and they still erupt all over my scalp-- in particular, above the nape of my neck and near my temples. Painful! And take a looong time to go away! The doctor said it was also acne, but it always seemed to mystically clear up around the time I knew I'd have a dermatology appt...