Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasanovaFrankenstein

Advice for my scars?

Hi, i'm new here, i've been lurking here for a few days and i've been very impressed by how knowlegable and driven some people are here, it's very inspiring :)

I had one laser treatment when i was 20-something (~16 years ago that is), but it didn't really help against the scaring at all (maybe a 3% improvement) but it was probably old technique compard to what they use today.

I don't have money to spend on a professional treatment such as laser (and i doubt they'll give me a free treatment again, Sweden, where i live, has changed its policies since then i believe). On the positive side it seems that much has happened since the 1990's, so i'm willing to try some home/self treament.

What would you suggest for my type of scaring? I thought i'd try the cheapest possible treatments first, maybe just something to get rid of the redness which is still there, even after all these years. That Derma Roller techique seems very interesting as well, maybe try it on a small area to see what happens? Would it be of any use for this kind of scaring?

This pic shows the scars quite good, but IRL they're a bit more red.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

post-91396-1230486715_thumb.jpg

post-91396-1230486715_thumb.jpg

without a doubt silicone microdroplet.

worked wonders for me.. also looks like its working great for another fella who recently posted pics with very similar scars.

Thanks, but i can not afford that, i'd probably also would have to go to antoher country too since i doubt it's available here (and if it is, it will be way more expensive here than in e.g US, especially if it's a rather rare and new method).

I'm only willing to try cheap methods i can do myself. A 20% reduction would make me more than happy, or even 0% scar reduction and just getting a more even skin color. I'm not looking for a 90% fix since it'd be over my budget.

gotya, you cant afford treatments like many of us here on acne.org.

Now dont get me wrong but it seems like you have deep tissue loss. You need something to plump your scars back up.

The only thing id suggest is purchasing a temporary filler (Restalyn) and self injecting them into your scars. Dermarolling will improve your texture and help improve superficial scarring, but your scarring looks deep (although i dont think your scars look all that bad).

I would save for a procedure that I know would yield results.

Thanks, i might try the Derma Roller. Yeah some of the scars are pretty deep. especially the one under my cheekbone that almost look like a knife cut, i hate that one.

I don't feel comfortable (or too desperate) to inject anything though.

There might be other possiblities in the future, both economicaly and the coming of new tech / solutions for scaring.

I don't have as much depression as yours in your left sided cheek, but my scars a bit worse than yours overall (depth/number).

I've tried 3 professional dermaroller sessions with 1.5mm needle and spend few hundred dollars on Neocutis Biorestorative cream, matryl hyraulic acid. I waited 9 months and honestly had 0 improvement, some areas look even worse than before I started. There are lots of people claiming success here with dermaroler, but like me, there are also people who got no benefit from it, some doing it 5-6 times here in Asia. I did have nice temp effect with my skin looking plump and 'pink-ish' for about a week which now I attributed to microswelling and new skin forming to cover up the punctureed holes. I can only give you my experience, personally I would never do it again, especially now I fully investigated and researched the science.

This is my opinion on dermaroller - it is actually a caveman knockoff of fraxel (that is if you don't get results from fraxel, you will get even less from needling). Fraxel burns thousands of holes per cm2- some as deep as 1.6mm (the newest version) - needles poke a couple of holes per cm2, the needle is hundreds, if not thousands times larger in diameter than a light beam, one ablates a whole column of skin tissue, the other mechanically punctures/pushes aside without vaporizing tissues. You also are much more suceptible to infection and further scarring (than fraxel) if you use a deep needle and make a mistake (or needle become dull/crooked).

On the other hand, if you need expert advise, I would sign on to www.realself.com and they have many certified MDs, plastic surgeons there willing to answer your questions, even over the email. I have found it very helpful in answering some of my questions. Perhaps you should send them your picture and ask these questions yourself.

I would probably do one of these things if I was in your situation:

1. I've never done TCA but I think the science behind it makes sense. Perhaps try TCA at home with high concentration but be prepared to experience weeks of downtime.

2. Save lots of money until the next generation of lasers come out and become cheaper.

The 3rd generation of Erbium fraxels I'm doing cost about $300 US each (In Asia). I remember before they are 4-5 times as much. I think in US, they can be had for between $400 and up. I remember reading people paying $600 for ablative lasering (Palmar Lux?) ect...

Best of luck.

Thanks again.

5k is way too much for me, i think that i'd rather spend that on something different if i ever could come up with that kind of cash (been sick-listed for the latest 10 years so im not really in the position of saving much).

I don't like my scars but it's not like it ruins my life. Some people here seems to be extremely depressed because of their scaring, that it affects their lives in a big way, then i can totally understand you want to spend that kind of cash.

I've ordered the 50% TCA solution from a reliable soruce (listed here, cant remember the name), i'll start of with an very light solution on a small area and work my way up. Should i get those led lights too maybe, i havent fully understood what they're used for, i guess they promote healing? I have no problems spending a little cash, even if it won't work i can at least think "well, at least i've tried!", and that would be a good feeling to have since i've felt a bit lazy about my "problem" for the latest 16 years something lol

Thanks for the info about the Dermaroller. From the little i've read it seems that it works very individually, some people claim they got rid of rolling scars with the use of apple cider vinager, other people see no difference even after using the latest laser techiques.

I wish I could get back all the cash I've spent on "conservative" treatments I've done and go for the big treatments. I agree with others, that silicone would be a good choice for you and while you cannot pull money out of the air, save your pennies and don't waste them on things that many of us here can testify don't work on deeper scarring. You could look into university programs looking for test patients. I have a friend who got a full face CO2 laser for free as a test subject. Sounds scary, but they did a great job.

Save, save, save, and be patient... make yourself a scar fund so you won't use it for anything else. I have a savings account just for my skin so that I can budget for treatments. Its the only way I can do it, otherwise I can never justify the cost.

BTW, you look very handsome, even though the scars bother you. I can see them because you pointed them out and asked for our advice, but I doubt others notice them. Guys can get away with them better as they make you look tough and weathered. Best of luck to you.

indigenous; i'm gonna try TCA first, carfully and over a long period of time (i'm not in a rush), and i might put away some money to do a bigger treament in the future, haven't decided yet.

And yes, I know guys get away much easier with scaring, but i would be doing this for me and no one else. Thanks for the kind words, i feel all warm and fuzzy now! ;) Take care.