Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pyrotess

BP = Free Radicals?

I never had acne until I started washing my face, 5 years ago. I am now 24, and it can get pretty bad usually on my cheeks/jawline. Right now I use the Neutrogena mask/cleanse benzoyl peroxide product twice a day with an exfoliating pad, followed by a witchhazel toner, then a non-comedogenic lotion. I recently read that BP produces free radicals, which is something we're supposed to avoid, right?

So should I use a different product, or get another damn product that rids free radicals?

I'm also thinking about getting the birth control pill, wondering how well that works?

I never had acne until I started washing my face, 5 years ago. I am now 24, and it can get pretty bad usually on my cheeks/jawline. Right now I use the Neutrogena mask/cleanse benzoyl peroxide product twice a day with an exfoliating pad, followed by a witchhazel toner, then a non-comedogenic lotion. I recently read that BP produces free radicals, which is something we're supposed to avoid, right?

So should I use a different product, or get another damn product that rids free radicals?

I'm also thinking about getting the birth control pill, wondering how well that works?

You are 100% correct. Also promotes early wrinkling. You are better off using a retinoid like Retin-A or Differin which will also help with free radicals and premature aging.

I've been on the BCP for years. I recently switched to Yaz and I really like it. I think it has helped with acne around the mouth (supposedly attributed to horomonal acne).

Good luck!!!

I've also read reports of BP inducing wrinkling. It's quite drying, but there is another scientific explanation that coincides with the free radicals. I'm not scientific enough to explain it though. :razz:

I agree that a retinoid (since you're closing in on your mid-twenties) might be a better route. If you do try it, Green Cream is a popular OTC retinoid cream. Start off at the lowest strength and work your way up. If you'd rather visit the doctor, Retin-a Micro .04% is relatively weak compared to the other prescription retinoids out there since it's time released (I use this now and love it).