Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bestscreennameever

Pregnant with Acne...arrrggg!!!

So...when I was a teenager I suffered from acne pretty badly. I tried all sorts of over-the-counter things, but what eventually worked for me was the following:

Cetaphil gentle cleanser

Neutrogena on the spot acne treatment (vanishing formula)

Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid (a fantastic product)

And...since I'm female...birth control pills!

A combination of those things gave me GORGEOUS skin. Seriously, women would randomly come up to me in public and compliment me on my skin. After suffering from acne for years though, I usually thought they were nuts...I wish I hadn't taken it for granted now!

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and due at the end of March. Since getting pregnant, my skin has turned on me. :( I have acne along the jawline, all over my chin, the sides of my forehead (near my eyebrows, weird), and the center of my cheeks. AND...if that isn't bad enough...it's also all over my back with some on my chest as well! Fantastic!

Now, my pregnancy has gone great...no problems except for the acne and morning sickness in the first trimester...and I'm very happy and excited...but...I CAN'T STAND MY SKIN! And it's not as if I can look forward to it getting better when the baby comes because there are still products I won't be able to use while breastfeeding, and we want to have another one after this one, so no birth control pills either!

My doctor said AHAs are ok, but benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are on the "no-no" list according to many doctors (but she also said occasional use of them probably wouldn't hurt). For a while I just tried cleansing and using Paula's Choice 8% AHA, but that didn't seem to do much.

So...any other pregnant ladies (or formerly pregnant ladies) have a similar experience? What have you used to combat acne while pregnant? One thing I'm looking into is Alpha Hydrox products.

Sigh...a baby is wonderful...and I can't wait until she's here...but I still want my nice skin back!!! :) Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any help/tips/advice/product suggestions.

I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. My husband and I are tryin to get pregnant but I am also worried about the acne since I have suffered with it for almost 10 yrs now. I have been trying to go all natural so when I do get pregnant i can maybe keep the breakouts under control. The good news is that I have done some research and most pregnancy sites say the acne WILL go away towards the end of your pregnancy.

Here are some tips that might help but please ask your OB first :)

drinking green tea

using a sulfer based mask as a spot treatment

eating more colorful fruits and veggies than processed foods

wash w/Seb Prev Wash (the Derm can prescribe)

hope this helps :angel:

I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. My husband and I are tryin to get pregnant but I am also worried about the acne since I have suffered with it for almost 10 yrs now. I have been trying to go all natural so when I do get pregnant i can maybe keep the breakouts under control. The good news is that I have done some research and most pregnancy sites say the acne WILL go away towards the end of your pregnancy.

Here are some tips that might help but please ask your OB first :)

drinking green tea

using a sulfer based mask as a spot treatment

eating more colorful fruits and veggies than processed foods

wash w/Seb Prev Wash (the Derm can prescribe)

hope this helps :angel:

Be careful going "all natural". Not all "natural" things are safe to use on skin while pregnant.

I have been using a sulfur based mask as a spot treatment and eating more fruits and veggies. Is green tea safe to drink? Sorry, I don't know much about tea...does it have caffeine in it? I'll look into the face wash, too. Thanks for the tips.

Good luck trying to conceive!!!! :)

I was told BP & SA were fine during pregnancy. If not, it's too late for my now 7 year old healthy baby girl. I used both throughout my entire pregnancy.

Otherwise, according to the quick search I did, you pretty much can't use anything when pregnant.