Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TucsonDixie

Tucson Dixie goes Spiro

DAY 1

And so it begins.... a year and a half post Accutane..and now I'm told I have Hormonal Acne..

I'm going on 30 this year... and I actually want to look 30 and not 18 :boohoo:

soooo here we go....

starting on 50mg today.

I'm ready!!

DAY 3

so far so good..nothing to report... yes I am frequenting the restroom a bit more, but nothing terribly unusual... I'm looking forward to see what happens in the next few weeks.

What a way to start the new year!

I wonder, has anyone found a great combination that works with spiro? as far as topical meds? or over the counter?

I had cystic acne which I had treated with accutane last year, and now have hormonal acne, located at my chin line and temple area. .... so....just curious if a certain product works for you.

I was told by a doctor that ProActive was not good for people that used to battle cystic acne because it would make it reappear...not really sure how valid that is....

Ok..now back to taking my Spiro.

Adios!

F.

:ninja:

I dont see anything wrong with looking younger. Im 24 almost 25 and people think Im anywhere from 18-30 lol Youll appreciate it when youre older because you wont have as many wrinkles and when youre eighty, people will think youre younger. Its better than looking older than you are, right?

DAY 3

so far so good..nothing to report... yes I am frequenting the restroom a bit more, but nothing terribly unusual... I'm looking forward to see what happens in the next few weeks.

What a way to start the new year!

I wonder, has anyone found a great combination that works with spiro? as far as topical meds? or over the counter?

I had cystic acne which I had treated with accutane last year, and now have hormonal acne, located at my chin line and temple area. .... so....just curious if a certain product works for you.

I was told by a doctor that ProActive was not good for people that used to battle cystic acne because it would make it reappear...not really sure how valid that is....

Ok..now back to taking my Spiro.

Adios!

F.

:ninja:

DAY 8

...... well... my face has completely broken out... forehead..cheeks.... chin.....places I don't normally break out.... I'm guessing that these are my hormones adjusting to the drug? I dunno.

it sucks.

makeup doesn't hide them...they're pretty big.

but i'm trying to be patient.

and now i'm gettting sick... a cold or something....ug...

going back to bed.

my face hurts...

totally broken out....

i hope that it only gets better from here..and that this is just my body adjusting to the pills....

anyone out there deal with the same problems?

my face just hurts :(

going back to bed. :cry:

DAY 14

Wow ...I made it 2 weeks.... crazyness...

my face looked terrible! ...now it has calmed down..

I have dark red marks where the pimples were...a few cysts at the jaw line and brow bone...odd...

my skin does look a bit smoother...yet where the pimples are you can tell that it's dry and scaly...

A lot of it has to do with the fact that I was sick for a week...

more than anything my lips are really dry but that's because I'm not drinking enough water...

other than that..no major side effects...

I just want these dots on my face to go AWAY....

but I'm optimistic..maybe this will be the only big flare up...

we'll see.... 2 weeks down...

Time is flying here in Tucson!

DAY 24

Time just couldn't be flying fast enough...

I went through a massive DRY SPELL on my face and it was completely covered in FLAKES! I tried exfoliating...but nothing worked... I slathered on JoJoba oil...nothing...

finally I spent an afternoon with Vitamin E all over the face and slept with it...that helped a lot.

Now I am taking Vitamin E and Omega 3 with lunch every day... it's supposed to help..so here I go...

I uploaded some pics and I've got a few more to add...

today, i've got blackheads all over the place (something i never had problems with before)..and acne is still on my cheeks,... temples... chin..... blah.

i am so DONE with this.. but i'm going to keep going...keeeeep going..

If I can do accutane then I can do this.

small potatoes...

:boohoo:

Just wanted to say hi as I recently started spiro as well and I am keeping a log (click on my profile). I just finished day 14- I'm on 50mg of spiro in addition to the 25mg from my birth control, Yaz. Let's compare notes!

Are you taking anything else other than spiro? I'm using tazorac .05% cream in conjunction (prescribed the same time as the spiro). I'm hoping the combo will together will finally kill off my huge chin cysts.

DAY 29

The pimples just keep coming.... what gives?

I need to practice my patience....

Hi Yazgirl!!!! I am using Tretinoin Cream .05% at night. It helps my skin unclog it's pores by speeding up the process of the skin regeneration. I believe it is Vitamin A type substance? And that's supposed to make your skin break out in the beginning as well (first 7-10 days) because as the skin turns over, other pimples are getting 'released'....

so here i am..

and then my skin gets flaky ..and the pimples really hurt... i typically have 2-3 cysts and then a bunch of small pimples.

i keep telling myself that if i can go through accutane, i can do this...

so i wait.

and wait.

....almost a month in.....

i posted some pre-spiro photos and i've got some 2 weekers to post as well...it definitely gets worse...

Ok.. back to the bright side of life!

this too shall pass.

I hear ya! Stupid IB. My chin is going insane..

Cool- We are on the same regimen I think. I'm using tazorac .05% cream too. My derm said it takes about 2 months for the spiro to kick in. Are you on any birth control? I'm on yaz and it got rid of the chin acne initially but then it came back after 6 months! GRR!

How long after the accutane did your acne come back? If the spiro doesn't work, will you go back on accutane or will your derm up your dosage of spiro? I read somewhere that if your acne is hormonal, accutane will get rid of it at first but then it will come back.

My acne is concentrated on my chin- My derm says it's hormonal. I rarely get zits on my cheeks or nose even though I'm most oily on my nose. I have like 4 big zits on my chin right now (the big bumpy ones). Yuck. I think it's an initial breakout from the tazorac.

Has your oil production decreased from the spiro yet? I am on day 18 of spiro & taz.

Hi Yazgirl!

I have uploaded pics from week 2 of spiro. Should be viewable by tomorrow.

I am still on BC. It is Trinessa...generic version ;)

I started accutane in '07... and in less than a year I started seeing that something was starting to come up again.. ug it sucked!

but now on spiro I definitely am getting pimples in areas that I NEVER had them before like my cheeks! uuuf! and it's one on top of the other..the minute one goes away another one follows..but i'm guessing that is the cream that I'm using that's doing that.

I dont feel a drop in oil production..i am dry but i thought that was just the diuretic etc.. and i just need to drink more water...

I don't think I'll go back on the 'tane... My doc didn't want me to , and honestly I don't want to!

So..spiro it is for at least a while..and we'll see!

Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same! :)

I looked at your new photos- did you have the taz cream on? That stuff is so greasy but so very moisturizing.

Hi Yazgirl.

Actually that was JoJoba Oil and a BUNCH of Vitamin E straight from the capsuls.

My face was sooooooooo dry and ashy! So I just coated myself in it.

It's better.. but my lips are constantly DRY...

i love my coffee and my wine, but i can see how they both dry me out intensly!

i've got pimples everywhere..they're still coming...

one month in...

going to be patient and keep moving forward...

;)

How are you?

Hi All,

I've been PM-ing with Tuscon a bit but I thought I'd share here, too. I've been on Spiro for 2 months (50MG twice/day) and nothing else other than OTC benzoyl peroxide 10%. I did have a major break out after the first week on my face and back. It cleared up pretty quickly. I am still on the break-out, clear-up, break-out, clear-up routine my skin was in before starting Spiro. I am still getting new pimples on my face, but nothing like the huge painful ones I got shortly after I started (during the initial break-out). The facial pimples I'm getting now are pretty much just tiny ones coating everything (forehead, cheeks, chin...not so much the nose). I have cystic acne on my back, but not my face (usually). My back is continuing to be a problem. I'd say that spiro might've helped me a wee bit, but I'm not satisfied. I am going to start accutane in a month. I'm continuing spiro while I wait to begin my accutane regimen, and I'll be starting birth control pills soon (a requirement for being on 'tane). My only side effects on spiro, other than the initial break-out, was that I've been having my period every 2 weeks instead of monthly. The "midway" period isn't as heavy as a typical period, but still annoying. My skin has been VERY soft, which I love. I will definitely miss that "side effect" when i quit spiro. it's nice to have silky, soft skin (even if it's still pimply).

I hope it works for you all! I know accutane doesn't work for everyone, so I'm a bit worried that the horrible side-effects I'm about to experience will not be worth it in the end. But, here's hoping...

Hi,

Saw the derm today, I'm doing okay, thanks 4 asking. My progress is sloowww but it is definitely getting better..

The tazorac is drying me out like crazy as well but my nose still gets oily though no matter what.

I'm posting an update on my log.

Hi Yazgirl.

Actually that was JoJoba Oil and a BUNCH of Vitamin E straight from the capsuls.

My face was sooooooooo dry and ashy! So I just coated myself in it.

It's better.. but my lips are constantly DRY...

i love my coffee and my wine, but i can see how they both dry me out intensly!

i've got pimples everywhere..they're still coming...

one month in...

going to be patient and keep moving forward...

;)

How are you?

DAY 44

one and a half months down and i honestly don't see improvement...

my face is constantly getting new pimples... one on top of the other...

someone please tell me that this gets better.....

i am hoping that at the 2 month mark will bring a miracle!!

when did everyone else start to see changes?

ug.

i'm so frustrated with this.

DAY 56

Well.. pretty much 2 months in.. still have cysts...still have breakouts... and it does not seem to be improving at all...

i called the derm today, i'm not supposed to go in and see her for another month, told her what was going on, she told me to up my dosage 100mg to 150 mg ..so tomorrow, I start a bit higher.

i soooo need a break from this.

my clients look at me like something is wrong with me but they don't want to say anything...

ug.

going back under my rock.

DAY 60

wow..already 60 days...

well, the cysts keep coming..but i do see a slight change in the texture of my skin.

i'm making sure to moisturize more at night now.

every so often i'll pop open a bunch of my vitamin E pills and spread them on my face... it's super sticky but huge improvement when i wake up in the morning.

so..i'm going to keep going... 2 month mark ...

i have faith that for month 3 i will see more changes.

now back to work :)

grumble grumble grumble

Hey, I just found your blog and wanted to tell you that I'm hoping things start going well for you since your past the 2 month mark!

I'm starting spiro for the first time too, tonight/tomorrow...when I pick up my prescription and going to keep a log of it here. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any crazy side effects other than it hasn't been working that well. I'm now officially terrified of having that "new treatment" breakout...

good luck!!!

huckleberrylove Spiro Log

DAY 68

Miracles do happen. Goodness. In just 8 days my face started changing.

It is definitely smoother.

The big cycsts have gone.

I have a few small pimples and lots of red marks.

Some come and go, and some still reappear on top of old ones, but nothing as big nor as bad as 8 days ago.

What helped me was that I was puting straight Vitamin E on my face to help heal and calm it.

Now I wash every morning I exfoliate St. Ives scrub with SA, and I tone with Neutrogena Acne Stress Toner with S.A. ..then I put on some bleaching cream for my spots and extra S.A. on trouble spots, topped off with moisturizer....and then the makeup

At night I wash with with Neutrogena Gentle Wash, and tone with Neutrogena Acne Stress Toner, then comes the Tretinoin Cream .05%...and finally a nice moisturizer...

lots of steps but it's working. Moisture is definitely the key.

As for Side Effects:

I get headaches

dry lips

*all due to the dehydrations*

I am a bit tired and sore sometimes...

and my cramps are a bit stronger than usual ... and I am on B.C.

So that's it. 68 days and getting better.

My boyfriend put his hands on my face for the first time the other night. I grabbed his hands and placed one on each side of my face. It was lovely. I cried actually.

I had missed that for so long.

It's the little things.

For the first time in a long time, it did not hurt.

aaaaaaaaah good stuff.

Now back to work! :)

My next derm appt. is at the end of the month... :clap:

Below is a pic from a few weeks back, I'm at a Masquerade Ball.

post-53201-1236100478_thumb.jpg

post-53201-1236100478_thumb.jpg

So that's it. 68 days and getting better.

My boyfriend put his hands on my face for the first time the other night. I grabbed his hands and placed one on each side of my face. It was lovely. I cried actually.

I had missed that for so long.

It's the little things.

For the first time in a long time, it did not hurt.

aaaaaaaaah good stuff.

Aw :wub: , I'm still a little anti-touch enough though he lefts me feel his skin all the time. I'm sure he understands without asking since I don't like having my picture taken either. I'm glad you had the experience, and I'm happy for you :).

DAY 81

Back to the cysts and pimples.

ug this is so frustrating...

almost 3 months and no clarity.

at my last post i was looking much better and then that went to $%^&!

so here i am again.

i see the derm at the end of the month.

hopefully she can tell me what is going on.

what gives?

did it really take this long for some people on spiro?

ug.

i'm off to go find a rock to crawl under... :boohoo:

Hi,

I read your log because I'm considering spiro also and I couldn't help but notice that you started a retin-a cream, I think you said .05%, at the same time as spiro. I have never done well on retin-a, It makes my skin purge and purge and... you get the picture. 2 months on retin-a and my skin was the worst it's been in my life. I know other people have similar problems with it ( though it works great for some) but I was wondering if the IB from retin-a could be why you are still breaking out? Not saying that for sure as spiro doesn't work for everyone either. Anyway I hope you're seeing improvement. It's a long and painful battle!