Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ComplexIssues

Experiencing Red, Rashy patches After Cleansing?

Has anybody ever washed their face in the shower, and let it just soak in warm/hot water, only to find out afterwards, their face had patches of redness/rashiness? I'm just trying to figure out if this is a dry skin issue or a dermatitis thing. I've tried putting moisturizer which had helped to some degree, but another thing is that the afflicted areas are now itchy...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can relate. Mine turned out to be eczema. My dr. perscribed a very, very low dose of cortisone only by perscription. I use cetaphil cleanser and lotion. I wash with my fingers very gently and then put a tiny bit of the cream on and then use the moisturizer. It has helped tremendously. You could try the cetaphil stuff first and then if that doesn't help you may need to go to the dr and take it from there. Elf

I just saw my old derm. He said I have "contact dermatitis" and gave me a steroid cream to use for 3 weeks. He also said I need to wash my skin with only water for a bit and then slowly test out cleansers, moisturizers, topicals to see if the illicit a reaction, to find out the culprit...

I actually have exactly the same symptoms. I have NEVER used a moisturizer for any significant period of time, and I was wondering whether or not getting one would begin to battle the post-shower or post-cleansing redness.

being extremely gentle with ultra calming soaps and cleansers is important to avoid the redness, patting your face dry etc.. also, two great moisturisers to avoid redness are dermatalogica redness relief and dr nick lowe redness correcting cream. Allowing a hour or two for your skin to calm down will help, and only ever use quite warm water, never boiling hot or freezing cold.

modman

being extremely gentle with ultra calming soaps and cleansers is important to avoid the redness, patting your face dry etc.. also, two great moisturisers to avoid redness are dermatalogica redness relief and dr nick lowe redness correcting cream. Allowing a hour or two for your skin to calm down will help, and only ever use quite warm water, never boiling hot or freezing cold.

modman

My cleansing is very gentle since I use Cetaphil and wash only with my finger-tips with luke-warm water twice a day. Unfortunately I had been getting in the habit of using St. Ives Apricot Scrub almost 1-2 times a week on average, but I will stop using this product because it can be somewhat irritating.

I will try out some moisturizer soon, and thanks for the recommendations. And yes, 1-2 hours after my shower the redness has faded completely.