Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beetpapp

RAM & Duac combo update

I haven't posted on here in many months, but thought I should report some good things, as I used to post only to report the bad...

I've been on RAM (retin-a micro .04%) for 9 months now. I use it every evening and rarely ever miss. (Btw, I also always mix the RAM with equal part moisturizer on my fingertip before applying) After my first 3 mos on RAM, I also added Duac, which I use every morning (again, almost w/out fail). I can now say, my skin is the best it's been in years. I get the occasional few menstrual cycle pimples, but there have been weeks where I've had zero active pimples. I had a ton of small closed comedones and I've noticed a drastic decrease in the number. And I haven't had a cyst in a couple months. The blackheads on my nose are gone, and my chin is getting better. My skin is not perfect, and I'm realizing it never will be. But - it is much improved! The main improvement has only been evident for the past 6-8 weeks (I think this is important, as I began RAM last March!)

I just wanted to post this, as it has taken MANY months to get to this point. I had a rough RAM initial breakout and lots of face redness. (I have many tips that helped me get through this). I told myself I would give the RAM a full year. I think the skin takes a long time to heal and then to reach some homeostasis. I've kept my face lotion & wash the SAME for months and I think that really helped my skin adjust to medications and a regular regime.

Hopefully hearing this helps someone.. feel free to ask me any questions. I'm happy to share.

Good luck to all.

Thanks for posting this. I am just shy of six months into RAM (switched to 0.1% from 0.04% a few weeks back -- asked for duac but my doctor, who is not a derm., wouldn't give it to me.) and still breaking out -- and very frustrated. I don't think I've had a week without some sort of pimple. But I'm also determined to stick with it. So it was nice to hear that it took you basically 7 months to see results.

What are your tips for dealing with redness?

Thanks for posting this. I am just shy of six months into RAM (switched to 0.1% from 0.04% a few weeks back -- asked for duac but my doctor, who is not a derm., wouldn't give it to me.) and still breaking out -- and very frustrated. I don't think I've had a week without some sort of pimple. But I'm also determined to stick with it. So it was nice to hear that it took you basically 7 months to see results.

What are your tips for dealing with redness?

Glad I could provide something.. I think that's really unfortunate that your doctor wouldn't Rx you duac. As things really started to turn around for me after using it for a couple months. I think the reason is that retin-a and duac address different causes of acne. The large cysts I was getting around my jawline didn't clear up with the retin-a alone. (of course just after writing this post I get a moderate one on my forehead!) I'm in my 30s and was really at my wits end for dealing with this.

As far as the redness.. during the most aggravated times (flaky, redness) I used green aloe vera gel that I kept in the fridge. The aloe helped to heal and control some of the flakiness and the cold gel felt really good. The Aveeno products I use might help.. but my favorite is the Neutrogena redness solutions protective base. It's a green cream that feels really smooth and takes the redness down a notch. It doesn't cure, but under makeup it helps. Also I continued to use concealer. But due to flakiness I used Sally Hansen's aerosol foundation and stippled it on with a triangle sponge (since rubbing seemed to make things worse). My face still tends to be slightly more flushed than my neck, but it's gotten better with time. Sometimes I also use a bronzer around my jaw/neckline to try to even out the 2 surfaces. Hope some of this helps...

Oh, I've also tried several times to just use the retin-a (w/out mixing w/ small amt of moisturizer) and EVERY time it causes my skin to react. So I've stopped trying and always mix.