Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuavaGirl

Dermatologist prescriptions aren't helping me at all! Help?

:wall: Ugh. I've been to the Dermatologist 3 times now, and she keeps putting me on Minocycline as my prescription, and making me use RETIN-A two times a day. I've been doing this for about 2-3 months now, and still NOTHING. I feel like I'm cursed with acne - and I'm only 14!! :(

Her instructions to me is to use a mild soap that is NOT for acne or it will interfere with the RETIN-A, so I haven't, but I don't know what to do here! My next appointment is in mid. January and I don't want to have acne any longer. I have "underground" zits, and blackheads, btw.

Any advice?

Oh, and any foods/vitamins I need to intake for maybe better results..?

Merry X-Mas! :dance:

Retin A twice a day?? That seems really intense. Most people use it once a day at night (and maybe a different topical iin the morning if they can handle it). Retin A takes a long time to see full results, you should probably stick with it a while longer. Maybe you can get another topical medication to use in the morning? Zinc and fish oil are probably the best vitamins to take.

:wall: Ugh. I've been to the Dermatologist 3 times now, and she keeps putting me on Minocycline as my prescription, and making me use RETIN-A two times a day. I've been doing this for about 2-3 months now, and still NOTHING. I feel like I'm cursed with acne - and I'm only 14!! :(

Her instructions to me is to use a mild soap that is NOT for acne or it will interfere with the RETIN-A, so I haven't, but I don't know what to do here! My next appointment is in mid. January and I don't want to have acne any longer. I have "underground" zits, and blackheads, btw.

Any advice?

Oh, and any foods/vitamins I need to intake for maybe better results..?

Merry X-Mas! :dance:

Yah my Dermatologist is making me use it twice a day. And my skin is peeling like terrible no matter how much moistuizer I put on!

Hi GuavaGirl,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

What you should do on your next visit is insist you would like to try something else, as you feel what she has prescribed is not effective.

Remember, you are NOT at her mercy - if you are finding her advice to be poor as she is not listening to your concerns, then thank her for her time and visit another dermatologist.

You should speak to your parents to relay these concerns (and why you do not want to go back on Minocycline) before seeing her again.

Finally, have you looked in to Dan's Regime? Visit the 'Get clear->Start here' menu at the top.

The regime uses benzol peroxide, which is available without prescription over the counter and is safe. BP gel has proven itself very effective - you may want to give this a go if you are finding the Mino still making your skin way too dry.

Cheers