Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tired princess

how long before tanning/waxing?

i've been off accutane since November 12th, when is it safe for me to wax my face? and also tanning, when is that safe? i'm figuring i'll cover my face all the way through tanning because the sun brings out scars more right?

my face is so scared with big red marks :(

i've been off accutane since November 12th, when is it safe for me to wax my face? and also tanning, when is that safe? i'm figuring i'll cover my face all the way through tanning because the sun brings out scars more right?

Typically it's 12 weeks, but I know a lot of Derm and Facial clinics suggest 6 months before any time of treatment. You need to understand that your skin is far more fragile and prone to scarring than ever before and it ALWAYS will be now. That's the worst thing about it. If your acne does return, you scar far more easily and the marks tend to dwell for 2/3 times longer than they might of before.

Try using Dan's AHA and avoid stripping/waxing treatments.

Typically it's 12 weeks, but I know a lot of Derm and Facial clinics suggest 6 months before any time of treatment. You need to understand that your skin is far more fragile and prone to scarring than ever before and it ALWAYS will be now. That's the worst thing about it. If your acne does return, you scar far more easily and the marks tend to dwell for 2/3 times longer than they might of before.

Try using Dan's AHA and avoid stripping/waxing treatments.

yes ur so right. all my acne i get scars now!!!! is there any way to stop it??????

Guest tofupup

I tanned (inadvertently via surfing everyday) and waxed (purposely) throughout my accutane course.

As for the tanning/sun exposure, the only weird thing was that rather than getting freckles like I normally do with over exposure to the sun, I noticed that my skin simply got burning red -- def. not cool, but not surfing would be even less cool. Keep in mind that I used the maximum sunblock possible and surfed only in the mornings from 6 to 8 a.m.

As for the waxing, it didn't seem to really tear up my skin or anything more than normal; I don't know why, since God only knows that my skin was definitely extra thin and sensitive to every other kind of potentially-damaging activity. For example, I couldn't go running because no matter how much moleskin I taped over my toes, I would get blisters like you've never seen-- horrible, bloody, crippling blisters.

So that's my waxing/ tanning experience, although I guess that's kind of a contradictory answer. I bet you could try waxing a small area and see what happens. And as for tanning-- well, that's just not good for you anyway, so don't do it unless it's totally unavoidable.

Jesus-- after all that work for beautiful, perfectly clear skin, why ruin it with an infestation of wrinkles? No one wants to end up looking like one of those crazy old Florida ladies with a prune face. You want to keep your beautiful skin for as long as possible!!

You waxed throughout your treatment? Wow, lucky. I had my eyebrows done about 6 weeks into mine (it was going to be my last waxing until after the course). She waxed the above the brow and more than a year later the skin is still kind of different there. It's not noticeable to anyone, but in direct sunlight you can see the outline of the area that was waxed.

I haven't dared wax while on accutane I'm too scared of it ripping my skin off! It's driving me mad not being able to wax but then it would be much worse if I went to work with a great big scar on my top lip, try explaining that! Threading is ok tho isn't it? I think I will give that a try instead :)

I've got another month to go on accutane and I think I will do what tofupup suggests and try a little area to wax first. I am worried about the sun tho, I used to not worry about the sun, I'm olive skinned and don't burn at all and don't even tan unless I've had a LOT of exposure, but I'm worried that my blase attitude might catch me out with my post accutane skin - we'll have to see. Don't think I'll be booking a holiday that is too tropical this year tho :boohoo: