Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
partyhard

Flat iron questions

Hey everyone,

A few days ago I went to the salon and had my hair lightened. Before leaving, the hairdresser straightened my already-straight hair with a FHI flat iron. The end result was amazing. She didn't apply any serum or spray and my hair ended up looking really sleek and silky and felt wonderful.

This was the first time an iron was used on my hair. I've avoided irons for fear of damage.

I want to purchase a flat iron now to use on occasion. I do have a couple questions though.

1) Does the brand of an iron really matter? I was thinking of getting an FHI 1" one, like the one that was used on me but I've read different reviews and I guess different irons produce different results for people/?

2) My hair looked really nice after it was straightened. It looked very healthy. Is this just because it was my first time using an iron? Can I expect to see more damage if I use an iron once a week?

3) If I do get the iron, would it be okay to use it after I've applied oil to my hair (when it's dry, of course). I usually apply coconut oil after I shower to condition my strands. ...??? I've read you should apply some kind of heat-protectant product...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

1) i think the brand of the flat iron does matter to a certain point. if you've ever heard of the ceramicpro, do NOT get that one! lol. hopefully they've went out of business bc it broke in 3 months and i believe it was 100 dollars. i have heard of the FHI & agree with u about the reviews. i've heard mostly good things about it, but i imagine it would be a different experience for everyone depending on how your hair is. i use the HAI convertable and it works pretty well. my hair is thick and long and pretty hard to deal with. i like it bc it has different heat settings and the plates aren't damaged yet after 2 years.

2) if your hair looked healthy after it was straightened, i think you will be able to get the same result at home, especially if you only use it once a week.

3) it will be ok to use product b4 you straighten your hair and if you can, yes, use a heat protectant.

good luck.

I had a chi and it produced good results but tore my hair out. After it broke last year I purchased a solia, which is seriously an amazing flat iron. I would recommend this flat iron. If you google it you should find a review site for it. It really does work wonders.

I have naturally wavy hair though, but it does have a heat control on it and I would not recommend you to use the highest heating level if you have straight hair already.

Your ends will split faster if you do not use a heat guard product on it before flat ironing.

partyhard, every now and then, and I mean EVERY NOW AND THEN, will minimize damage. Having said that, yes, every single time you apply that kind of heat to your hair you WILL cause damage. Flat irons kill hair. They literally fry it. Blow drying on max heat or flat ironing boils the moisture within the cortex. That causes the shaft to rupture. The more you use a flat iron, the more you will see damage. It doesn't matter what serum or high dollar concoction you buy and apply. You won't thwart the damage. However, using say...once a month with no blow drying in between will minimize it to the point you'll notice minimal damage.

I'm pretty sure somebody will read this and vouch for flat ironing several times a week or month and the hair is "just fine", but if it were "just fine", would you be flat ironing so often? From experience and from 3rd party witnessing, people get in the habit of flat ironing a lot and then must continue to keep the frizz down due to the frizz inducing damage the flat ironing induces! Just keep it minimal and you should be fine.

1. Adjustable temp. Nice smooth plates - preferably solid ceramic (not just ceramic coated). Nothing around the edges that will snag just in case you wanna make curls.

2. Yes, but it's a trade off. My split ends spiked BUT the considerable damage from snapage, tangles ect is gone. I would never have thought it ruined my hair that much! It's fairly long but sometimes it won't need brushing for 2 days. It just stays nice. And it has thickened up considerably as well. Worth it.

3. Um... use a heat protectant and then use the oil after?

** You didn't ask :) but you should know

- NO blowdrying - unless your dryer is on it's cold setting.

- Your iron should be HOT.

Unless it's justhot enough to turn your hair into super silk you are wasting your time and just frying your hair. If your hair turns to super silkon a low setting then use it. Otherwise - turn it up!! (Or go slower..? - but that's something for another post altogether.)

I've been through about 5 flat iron and can tell you that the ones with Tourmaline in them are wonderful. I have ceramic ones but the Tourmaline one makes my hair super shiny without using a spray. I got mine at a Beauty Supply store and made sure it was an adjustable temperature control. Mine also is similar to the much touted T3 flat iron but 60% cheaper with same features. It also has some ridges on it that instead of flattening your hair, you can use it like a curling iron, so a bonus feature in my book. I also use a Tourmaline Hair dryer. The combo of the two makes my hair look super healthy and shiny and I color my hair almost every three weeks (Red hair is high maintenance).

I use the Jilbere de Paris Tourmaline Flat Iron (I bought at Sally's Beauty)

My hair dryer is an Andis Ionic Tourmaline Dryer also bought from Sally's

I got a Sally's card which gave me a great discount and you can get an extended warranty from them for a full replacement if anything happens to it.

Thank you kbluv and pshtigotthatt.

partyhard, every now and then, and I mean EVERY NOW AND THEN, will minimize damage. Having said that, yes, every single time you apply that kind of heat to your hair you WILL cause damage. Flat irons kill hair. They literally fry it. Blow drying on max heat or flat ironing boils the moisture within the cortex. That causes the shaft to rupture. The more you use a flat iron, the more you will see damage. It doesn't matter what serum or high dollar concoction you buy and apply. You won't thwart the damage. However, using say...once a month with no blow drying in between will minimize it to the point you'll notice minimal damage.

The brand of the iron definately matters. I've used Chi, Paul Mitchell, Solia, and cheap brands of course but in this case it is you get what you pay for. You should try going to folica.com, this site has many well known irons & thousands of reviews. Good Luck, I liked the Chi the most.

Also, it helps ALOT to use serum before. I'm currently using the Chi one & it works pretty well. The one's I've liked are Paul Mitchell's serum, Bed Head, Biolage, and even some you can purchase @ Sally Beauty's that work well.

I've been through about 5 flat iron and can tell you that the ones with Tourmaline in them are wonderful. I have ceramic ones but the Tourmaline one makes my hair super shiny without using a spray. I got mine at a Beauty Supply store and made sure it was an adjustable temperature control. Mine also is similar to the much touted T3 flat iron but 60% cheaper with same features. It also has some ridges on it that instead of flattening your hair, you can use it like a curling iron, so a bonus feature in my book. I also use a Tourmaline Hair dryer. The combo of the two makes my hair look super healthy and shiny and I color my hair almost every three weeks (Red hair is high maintenance).

I use the Jilbere de Paris Tourmaline Flat Iron (I bought at Sally's Beauty)

My hair dryer is an Andis Ionic Tourmaline Dryer also bought from Sally's

I got a Sally's card which gave me a great discount and you can get an extended warranty from them for a full replacement if anything happens to it.

I just recently bought a babyliss with tourmaline in it, i really like it, doesnt seem to break my hair as much. Chi works good, but i wouldnt advise anyone to buy it if they care about their, i owned a chi before i got the babyliss and it the chi just broke my hair so bad, it was time for a change.

I've also heard paul mitchell is pretty good too.

My advice is to always use a heat protector, I use Tresemme. If you want a bit of shine, you can use some oil, I use Biosilk, but be careful not to use too much, a few drops and if you have oily hair like me, I wouldn't put any on the roots...

I use the heat protector first, then the oil, then more heat protector...hope this helps.

I agree that you get what you pay for. I've used Chi & Corioliss with great results. If it's under $100, it is probably not worth it in the long run.

Once a week shouldn't do too much damage. If your hair is already really straight naturally, then I would just do it for special occasions. My hair is a bit wavy & has a lot of body, so I straighten it to get the bedhead wave out & so it is not so voluminous. It's not frizzy though.

Try to avoid silicone hair products. A lot of heat protectors & shine serums have these. In the long run, they dull & weaken the hair.

I suggest using 100% jojoba oil. I apply a little in the shower & rinse it out well. It keeps my hair very shiny. I also sometimes use a straightening creme by Tresemme with no silicone. I also use shampoos with protein to strengthen the hair, & a spray for damp hair by Paul Mitchell with proteins & UV protection.

I straighten my hair 1-2 times a week, and I color & trim it every 8 weeks, and it's in great shape & I'm currently growing longer. The best thing I did for my hair was to stop using silicones.

Thanks for the replies All Smiles, Jry0318, NellyS, and Siouxsie. :)

I've decided I won't be getting an iron any time soon since I noticed a few split ends a couple days after the salon visit. No more changing hair colour for me nor using irons ...(maybe).

Thank you all for the tips!

1) Does the brand of an iron really matter?

i think so. i used conair irons for years because they're cheap and i could never get my hair to look exactly how i wanted. finally a friend convinced me to splurge on a chi and i love it.

2) My hair looked really nice after it was straightened. It looked very healthy. Is this just because it was my first time using an iron? Can I expect to see more damage if I use an iron once a week?

once a week doesn't sound bad at all to me. i used to iron my hair every single day (i have very thin hair so the straightening never lasts that long) and it was FRIED. a few months ago i started just letting my hair go (i don't even blow-dry it anymore) unless i'm going to a nice party where i feel i have to look good or something. i don't really give a crap about anyone at school, i've known my friends and the people i work with for years, there's no reason for me to feel like i have to try to impress any of them. looking back i think it was silly coming into work with perfectly coiffed hair (gel, pomade, everything) so i could look hot while i was in a refrigerated room for 8 hours. on not-special days (aka most days) i just let it air dry, and sometimes i put a few drops of jojoba oil or a little shea butter in it so i don't look frizzy.

3) If I do get the iron, would it be okay to use it after I've applied oil to my hair (when it's dry, of course). I usually apply coconut oil after I shower to condition my strands. ...??? I've read you should apply some kind of heat-protectant product...

yeah, that's fine, just make sure to use your hands to distribute it well before you start to iron it or you'll look like a greaseball. i use frizz-ease serum with thermal protection. you can find it everywhere. whenever i have it in my hair people always compliment on how nice my hair looks.