Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reyxe

does eating chili/spicy food aggravates acne?

I usually add 4-5 chilis on salty sauces on food, will it aggravate my acne? if possible can you show me some research sources?.. thnx

I usually add 4-5 chilis on salty sauces on food, will it aggravate my acne? if possible can you show me some research sources?.. thnx

I'd be less worried about the chilis than the salt on the food. The iodine in iodized salts (and to a lesser extent, sea salts) can lead to acne flares for some people - particularly when your diet is already high in iodine (contained in kelp, dairy, salty snacks, some multivitamins)

Only if it causes some digestion issue with you, or you are allergic. Otherwise it can be beneficial. Capsaicin is very anti-inflammatory. It also stimulates the production of digestive acids.

Food has nothing to do with your Acne. I never had SEVERE acne before August and i m an avid spicy food lover and being an Indian, Masala is the spice of the daily diet and chilli and oil are essential ingredient of daily food of India. I stopped eating Spicy food and Non-veg food from August coz people said its causing acne, but things kept getting worst even after stopping non-veg and oily food..then i started accutane and i still eat spicy food but my acne is improving even aftetr eating non-veg

food doesn't coz acne.

my doctor now realized that acne was due to a cream called BETENOVATE it thinned by skin layer and lead to the outbreak. i had used betenovate to erase some black marks but it erased for few months and then breakout started

Actually, there is research that has linked some foods to acne flare-ups. There are several studies showing a link between dairy consumption and acne flares (likely due to the horomones and iodine in the milk) and there is also evidence of iodine induced acne flares - people who take meds with iodine for thyroid problems often get acne as a result of the medication, even people who weren't normally acne prone. Iodine is present in high amounts foods such as kelp, iodized salted foods, dairy, and some multivitamins. According to the dermatologist and acne expert, Dr. Fulton (he developed Retin-A and wrote the book "Acne Rx"), some of the iodine that the body is unable to use gets excreted through the pores of the skin and irritates the lining of the pores, causing a flareup of any clogged pores that are present in the skin. Dr. Fulton also says that peanuts are problematic for people who are acne prone, because they are a high androgen food.

There are also a couple of studies that indicate a connection between high glycemic diets and acne flares.

Dont think Milk or Dairy products causes Acne coz majority of people in my country have dairy products daily including Milk, Cheese, Curd, Paneer, Lassi and lotta stuff.

I have read online that some fishes have Mercury present in their body and eating fish leads to breakouts. But at the same time, there are arguments that Mercury can't remain in body and it is usually flushed out through excretion

Food has nothing to do with your Acne.

Actually, there is research that has linked some foods to acne flare-ups.

Actually, there have been many studies showing a connection between diet and acne, and not just about specific food sensitivities like dairy and iodine.

Clinical Studies on the Diet-Acne Connection

My skin cleared within 2 months of changing my diet.

Dont think Milk or Dairy products causes Acne coz majority of people in my country have dairy products daily including Milk, Cheese, Curd, Paneer, Lassi and lotta stuff.

That's irrelevant. People in most of our countries consume dairy. But a very large percentage are lactose intolerant. And many others are allergic. Dairy is one of the most common allergens.

I have acne on my jaw right now. If I look in the mirror with light hitting me from the side, I can see some tiny skin coloured bumps around the pimples. If I eat anything spicy when I have these on my face, they start to swell. In fact, I had some spicy food yesterday and within minutes, I could feel my jaw burning and a new zit appeared.

I don't think spicy foods cause acne but, I definitely think it aggravates any bacteria that's already there. Spicy foods are inflammation foods - so it aggravating acne makes sense.

Spicy foods are inflammation foods - so it aggravating acne makes sense.

Actually, almost all herbs and spices are highly anti-inflammatory. Perhaps you are allergic. Peppers are part of the nightshade family to which many are allergic.

Well ive noticed that when I have spicey foods my acne gets realllllllly itchy and my face even feels alot warmer and sensitive.

I am not allergic to peppers. I have had an allergy test. There are many spices that are not inflammatory, like mint. I think that, aside from those who are allergic, the inflammatory spices are inflammatory for most people. When most people eat something spicy, their mouth and/or face gets hot. If you've got an infection, or acne or any other skin problem in your face, it will probably just make it redder just like it makes some people's face's red who don't have acne. Avoid whenever you can. And try to counteract or soothe with mint tea.

I am not allergic to peppers. I have had an allergy test. There are many spices that are not inflammatory, like mint. I think that, aside from those who are allergic, the inflammatory spices are inflammatory for most people.

No. Almost ALL herbs and spices are ANTI-inflammatory. You can look them up on nutritiondata.com.

Here's Cayenne pepper

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/201/2

I would like to see proper sources on this too. I come across articles all the time claiming that spicy foods can aggravate acne, but offer no explanation as to how it is that it aggravates.