Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
now.or.never

ACV/"do nothing"/"better health" regimen

So! On with my story. It's long, so if you get bored skip to text below the dotted line!

I am a 16 year old acne sufferer, I have had acne since i was 13, but back then my face was not anything to worry about. It basically consisted of a few whiteheads on my forehead. In 15 my acne advanced to the far sides of my cheeks, but still, it was mild to moderate acne.

Nevertheless, I ordered Dan's regimen, and applied it at night and washed it off after school. It helped, my acne became very mild, and although it did not completely subside, it did not go ballistic on me. I was confident that I would be 99% clear if I applied BP 2 times a day, but was too lazy to do it in the morning.

The regimen went on for a year and half, and all through that time my skin remained having mild acne. However, at the same time I began having body acne on my upper chest. I began applying BP on my lower neck and upper chest. While the acne disappeared on the immediate area under the BP, more pastules began forming around the application area. I reasoned that the BP was drying up the area around it as well. Also at this time, my skin was stepping upon moderate acne. In frustration, I gave up BP.

I tried some other treatments, including AHA+ and urine treatment, but none of this helped. I decided to go back to BP, and increase my usage to 2 times a day. It completely dried up my skin, despite the copious amounts of moisturizer i slapped on after. It was after my third day of application, when my face stung from dryness, that I decided that i had to give it up again.

I should note that all through the months of applying BP, I never liked it one bit. The paste felt uncomfortable while it dried, and the moisturizer made my face shiny and wet. All through the day, the BP would ball up when I touched my face. However, I sticked with it, glad that it kept me from having to worry about acne.

During the past two weeks, my acne has worsened drastically. I don't have nodules or cysts, but simply a lot of zits and red marks spread evenly throughout my face. I am determined to cure it naturally.

I have read a lot of posts on here that advocate for better health. I'm sure my sudden breakout is caused by hormones, since my diet or living habits have not changed. However, I am also certain that it can be cured without the use of topicals.

I have been on the "do nothing" regimen for two days already, and although it has not helped me acne-wise, my skin feels smoother and more moisturized. Body acne has begun to fade. All in all, my face feels more comfortable. I am determined that, even if I have to live with my current state of acne, I will not resort to those chemical-infested topicals.

Better health has always been one of the things I have been wanting to achieve. Not only for my skin, but for me. I reason that acne does start from within, and putting creams on your face will do nothing to cure the cause. Even if the health thing fails to cure my skin, I should still be happy the results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, I aim to:

1. Drink two glasses of ACV-water a day (two tablespoons each)

2. Not wash my face at all. Not even in the shower. I will blotch off the oil if it is super oily.

3. Not touch my face at all.

4. Stop eating fast food (I have been eating Mcdonalds non-stop for the last 2 months)

5. Drink a litre of water a day outside the ACV water.

6. Cut down on sugar intake

7. Exercise?... meh, its snowy, maybe later.

Since I am unable to get the ACV right now.. (holidays.. and huge snow storm), I will start the ACV on January 1, 2009. It's like a new year's resolution! Wish me luck!

I'm sorry to hear that your skin is breaking out :( I understand your frustration with topicals. I also dislike BP. I used it for many years (about 10) and while it did decrease the severity of my acne it also dried me out terribly by the end.

I haven't tried the "do nothing method" (at least not on my face, it never worked for my chest/back acne) i have tried using only a mild cleanser and moisturizer on my face and I just became a total oil slick. Last year I cut out dairy while also using BP and got clear. I thought maybe I could do without the BP but gradually my acne came back :( (cutting out dairy got rid of my cystic acne, but i still had moderate breakouts without the BP) I didn't want to go back to BP, so I tried some new topicals which I like. I understand your point about acne coming from within, but if an internal problem means that your skin can't exfoliate correctly or you have excess bacteria on your skin, then a topical can help. Even though it will not cure you, I don't think that doing nothing to your face will cure anything either...

I haven't tried this myself but after reading about it on this board and elsewhere i've become pretty interested in the oil cleansing method (you can do a search for it on this site)...this might be something to try if you want to stay very natural (it sounds strange, but you mix a cleansing oil with a moisturizing oil and it deep cleanses your skin. Search for it though and read the original post since there are some instructions.

As for a good natural topical, I use azelex (by prescription). THe main ingredient is azelaic acid and it is a natural antioxidant found in wheat. It is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. I only use it once per day because believe it or not it is too moisturizing if used twice per day. It smooths the skin, and is great for under make up, if you wear makeup.

I also use clenia (a sulfur cream), it is not natural like the azelex, but it is very helpful.

I use a mixture of aloe and jojoba oil to moisturize my skin if i even need it, trust me my skin is not dry

good luck to you...I know the do nothing method is pretty popular right now, just be careful. give it a try if you really think it might work, but if you find you're breaking out worse after a few weeks there are other ways that won't dry you out and don't involve harsh chemicals. If you don't want to do the oil cleansing method, you could also look for an all natural and mild cleanser. good luck, I know acne is very frustrating. Diet changes can also help quite a bit and cutting down on fast food and sugar is a good start!

edit: one more thing: I think you should dilute the ACV a bit more. 2 tbpsns in a whole glass of water so it won't be too harsh on your throat and stomach (you might want to drink it through a straw since the ACV is bad for your teeth.) Also if you hate the taste of ACV ( I did!) I believe that similar principles apply to lemon juice (not lemonade :) squeezed lemon in warm water with honey if you like)

Actually the "do nothing" regimen exclude all products, including stuff that are internally consumed which supposedly helps with your acne.

The taste of ACV wasn't so bad. I fact I liked it after 2-3 times of consuming it. Too bad it didn't help with my acne.

1. Drink two glasses of ACV-water a day (two tablespoons each)

2. Not wash my face at all. Not even in the shower. I will blotch off the oil if it is super oily.

3. Not touch my face at all.

4. Stop eating fast food (I have been eating Mcdonalds non-stop for the last 2 months)

5. Drink a litre of water a day outside the ACV water.

6. Cut down on sugar intake

7. Exercise?... meh, its snowy, maybe later.

Thanks for your suggestions guys! Bran 88, I was looking into the oil cleansing method too. It's definately something I would want to try of my current regimen falls through. As for the topicals... well even if i return to them, I value the "do nothing" scheme as a time for my skin to recover a bit first.

As an update, my skin has had a very "full" and moisturized feeling ever since I began the regimen (I have not started on the ACV yet, just the "do nothing"). Despite the acne, my skin really feels great. Acne-wise, it has improved substantially; I have not gotten the occasional zits ever since I started. I still have many developing whiteheads and black heads though, so, which makes my skin look bumpy. I'm pretty happy at the moment, however. Just waiting for those red/brown marks to fade and hoping that nothing big develops to stagnate the process. Granted, I have only been on "do nothing" for a week, so I'm still curious/skeptical about the results.

I still have a problem with picking at my skin, however... it's so addicting! But after I do it I feel like crap... :(

I reason that there are 2 main causes for acne:

1. Acne caused by hormonal changes

2. Acne caused by irritated skin

I cannot do anything about the first one, but the 2nd I can definately prevent. Too many people set out to cure the first, then cause the second to occur, then spend thousands to cure the second as they transcend upon their adult years. I vow not to be one of them.

Thx for reading~

Ok, so it turns out I haven't been updating this at all.

Long story short, my plan here just didn't work. I won't go into details here, but my skin just got worse and worse until I was flagrant, nasty, bloody mess.

I just couldn't go on without treatment any longer. Went to the derm in May, and he prescribed Retin A and Doxycycline. The combo cleared me up in 3 weeks. :dance:

Now I am just left with a lotta scars =( but they're better than pastules. I just wish I had visited the clinic earlier.

My advice to everybody is, If you're new to the fight with acne, don't go the holistic/home remedy route. Go to the doc, see what he/she has to say. Your objective is to nuke it before it gets outta hand. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

Reply if you have questions.

It sounds to me like your main problem was the picking, not the regimen itself. But that's just what I can assume from what you've stated. :)