Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thedude5

Blood Work

I use Proactiv and my acne is "mild", but very persistant and I usually have 2 or 3 (sometimes more) inflamed zits, usually jawline. I'm 25 and have had acne for around 10-11 years .... As a teen I never imagined I'd still be struggling with this into my 20's.

Anybody been to their doctor and had blood work done to see what's wrong with them internally that may be causing their acne?

I'm thinking about going to my doctor to have a thurough (sp.) report done on what in my system is out of balance ... I used to be a daily pot smoker (11 days clean ...) and I'm thinking there's gotta be SOMETHING in my system that's out of wack to be causing my condition ....

Funnily enough, I scheduled a full blood / allergy test for myself that I am going to be taking in the next few days.

My reasons for the tests are due to acne (which is somewhat under control at the moment however) and some other issues - but yeah, sounds like a good idea to me, although I'm not sure if it will reveal anything.

I had a hormone panel done, which showed way too much estrogen despite the fact that I'm on Depo Provera (usually decreases estrogen) and overproduction of testosterone. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome so I knew for a fact my acne was hormone-related. I think if your acne is hormonal it makes good sense to know which hormones are out of whack so you can take the right meds to even things back out.

It might be worth it to get blood work done. I doubt that the Mary Jane has much to do with your acne though. I've heard that you can have normal hormone levels but be sensitive to testosterone.

Actually I read somewhere pot can cause break outs.Cant remember why but I think it had to do with raising cortisol levels.

Thedude5,I hope you update us with your results. I would love to have a full panel of blood work done but am between insurance and it would cost me an arm and a leg.

Yes, but it wasn't helpful for many reasons.

Allergy: Results were mild allergy to many things. Rated on a scale from 1 -5, 5 being the most reaction. However that doesn't necessarily translate to what happens to you when you eat the food. Because it was a 1, oranges and grapefruit, that caused my severe cystic acne. And I'd already figured that out. Anyway, I had a few 2s--cow dairy, egg whites and baking powder--none of which cause acne. And quite a few 1s.

Also, there are two types of allergic responses involving different types of anti-bodies. A delayed and an immediate. It's usually the delayed type response that might cause a breakout, as well as things like fatigue, headache, etc. The things people suffer with for years and never get any help. Women especially. And it's very difficult to find any information from a doctor or get tested on the delayed type response.

In addition, I'm told allergy tests get a lot of false positives. And not all intolerances are allergies. There's things like lactose intolerance where people lack the ability to digest something. Many people have difficulty digest grains and legumes as well. The best way is an elimination diet. Dairy and gluten are the number one things to try avoiding. After that try citrus, eggs, soy, nuts, peanuts, all grains, all legumes, etc.

As far as hormone tests go, your hormones fluctuate and might not be high at the time of the test. You also might just be very sensitive to any amount of hormones, perhaps due to an imbalance you may have had in the past.