Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I heard Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) has similar effects to Accutane. I started taking a Super B complex pill with only 50% DV of B5 in each pill.

In Total there is 100% DV of 12 Vitamins and Minerals.

With 1/2 cup of skim milk, one serving of whole grain Total (3/4 cup or 30 g) has:

Vit A - 15%

Vit C - 100%

Calcium - 110%

Iron - 100%

Vit D - 40%

Vit E - 100%

Thiamin - 100%

Riboflavin - 110%

Niacin - 100%

Vit B6 - 100%

Folic Acid - 100%

Vit B12 - 110%

Pantothenic Acid - 100%

Phosphorus - 20%

Magnesium - 10%

Zinc - 100%

These natural vit. and minerals, in my opinion, top that of the super B complex pill, which have.

Here are the Vit and Min in the Super B pill:

Amount per Tablet/ Daily Value

Pantothenic acid (as calcium pantothenate) 5mg/ 50%

Vitamin C 150 mg/ 250%

Vitamin B1 100mg/ 6667%

Vitamin B2 20 mg/ 1176%

Vitamin B3 25 mg/ 125%

Vitamin B6 2 mg/ 100%

Folic Acid 400 mg/ 100%

Vitamin B12 15 mg/ 250%

Biotin 3.8 mcg/ 1%

Liver Powder 100 mg

Brewer's yeast 100 mg

Any thoughts or comments on Total Cereal? Would the Pantothenic Acid in it have the same affects, if not better, as the pill?

These natural vit. and minerals, in my opinion, top that of the super B complex pill, which have.

What makes you think the vitamins in total cereal are natural??

They would probably have the same effect, considering they are probably both synthesized, and it would take 2 pills to get the same level of B5 as the cereal...

First of all, Glass Danse is right--the vitamins and minerals in Total aren't natural at all, and I'd guess that by the time the cereal has gone through all of its processing, most of the fortified vitamins/minerals are destroyed or made ineffective.

Lastly, Vitamin B5 is only an effective acne treatment when used in massive amounts, far more than what you're going to get in the odd bowl of cereal or B complex pill. The B5 in cereal or regular supplements isn't going to be of much help. For more info, please read the B5 read stickied in this forum.

First of all, Glass Danse is right--the vitamins and minerals in Total aren't natural at all, and I'd guess that by the time the cereal has gone through all of its processing, most of the fortified vitamins/minerals are destroyed or made ineffective.

Lastly, Vitamin B5 is only an effective acne treatment when used in massive amounts, far more than what you're going to get in the odd bowl of cereal or B complex pill. The B5 in cereal or regular supplements isn't going to be of much help. For more info, please read the B5 read stickied in this forum.

so what you're saying is that i should give up, throw in the towel? thanks for your input. So when food is mostly "processed" in our bodies, does it only become ineffective and then get destroyed? does it not process into our bodies? isn't that what processing means?

it just seems odd to me that i intake minerals and vitamins through food, then they just vanish inside my body and don't benefit any part of my body whatsoever. It sounds like i'd be better off not eating at all, because it sounds like my body is working too hard to "destroy" these vitamins and minerals. My body could probably spend it's potential energy better off in some other system, my body hates the integumentary system.

when you say massive, how massive? lol. right now i am taking 150% from the pills daily, and I eat at least 3 helpings of the cereal every morning. Does that even make a dent if I do that every day?

So when food is mostly "processed" in our bodies, does it only become ineffective and then get destroyed? does it not process into our bodies? isn't that what processing means?

No, that's not what it means at all... I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Processing has to do with the manufacturer's processes it applies to the foods to take it from raw materials into a finished product, which is then boxed.

This process, also known as "refining" foods, strips raw materials of many of their natural vitamins and minerals, and they are then often fortified with synthetic vitamins. Check the ingredients list for total, you will see a bunch of vitamins on the ingredient list.

because it sounds like my body is working too hard to "destroy" these vitamins and minerals.

It's not... I don't know what you're talking about...

when you say massive, how massive?

Google.com says... 5 grams the first 3 days, 10 grams afterwards.

Assuming a bowl of total has 10mg of B5, you're looking at about 1,000 bowls of total to get to the B5 treatment dosage.

so what you're saying is that i should give up, throw in the towel? thanks for your input. So when food is mostly "processed" in our bodies, does it only become ineffective and then get destroyed? does it not process into our bodies? isn't that what processing means?

it just seems odd to me that i intake minerals and vitamins through food, then they just vanish inside my body and don't benefit any part of my body whatsoever. It sounds like i'd be better off not eating at all, because it sounds like my body is working too hard to "destroy" these vitamins and minerals. My body could probably spend it's potential energy better off in some other system, my body hates the integumentary system.

When I said "processing", I was referring to the processing that's done by the cereal industry; for example, milling the wheat, cooking it, shaping it into the little clusters, etc. This takes a lot of high heat, crushing, and machinery to do, and I seriously wonder how many of those precious vitamins and minerals survive.

The vitamins and minerals that you ingest aren't destroyed; your body isolates them and absorbs what it needs.

When I said "processing", I was referring to the processing that's done by the cereal industry; for example, milling the wheat, cooking it, shaping it into the little clusters, etc. This takes a lot of high heat, crushing, and machinery to do, and I seriously wonder how many of those precious vitamins and minerals survive.

The vitamins and minerals that you ingest aren't destroyed; your body isolates them and absorbs what it needs.

ok, i gotcha now. thanks. so does the cereal industry base the nutrition facts on the raw materials? i always thought that it was on the final product. hmm..

So when food is mostly "processed" in our bodies, does it only become ineffective and then get destroyed? does it not process into our bodies? isn't that what processing means?

No, that's not what it means at all... I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Processing has to do with the manufacturer's processes it applies to the foods to take it from raw materials into a finished product, which is then boxed.

This process, also known as "refining" foods, strips raw materials of many of their natural vitamins and minerals, and they are then often fortified with synthetic vitamins. Check the ingredients list for total, you will see a bunch of vitamins on the ingredient list.

because it sounds like my body is working too hard to "destroy" these vitamins and minerals.

Assuming a bowl of total has 10mg of B5, you're looking at about 1,000 bowls of total to get to the B5 treatment dosage.

Glass Danse:

Thank you for your incredibly helpful input! I'm glad that a veteran member is helping me, a novice. Directing your first response to one of my quotes, i misconstrued rakbs' ambiguous statement concerning "processing." I simply thought that they meant our bodies processing the raw nutrients for use. And that is how I came to that conclusion. I completely understand the concept of industrial processing, I just didn't think of it initially as I was thinking about my body, hence nutrients. Sorry for confusing you, Glass Danse. Problem solved there!

Well let me tell you what I am talking about concerning my second quote to which you responded. I was simply being facetious. Rakbs said that the nutrients are rendered useless, so I was basically being a smart ass by saying that. I know, it's kinda hard to interpret text what without all of the intended emotion, body language, and tone.

Thirdly. Thank you. Are those 10 grams recommended to be taken within one day? So, once again, if I eat let's say 3 bowls a day and take 150% DV of Super B Complex pills a day, what effect, no matter how nominal, if any, will it have?

Once again, thank you for your time, care, and communication, Glass Danse.

Glass Danse:

Thank you for your incredibly helpful input! I'm glad that a veteran member is helping me, a novice. Directing your first response to one of my quotes, i misconstrued rakbs' ambiguous statement concerning "processing." I simply thought that they meant our bodies processing the raw nutrients for use. And that is how I came to that conclusion. I completely understand the concept of industrial processing, I just didn't think of it initially as I was thinking about my body, hence nutrients. Sorry for confusing you, Glass Danse. Problem solved there!

Well let me tell you what I am talking about concerning my second quote to which you responded. I was simply being facetious. Rakbs said that the nutrients are rendered useless, so I was basically being a smart ass by saying that. I know, it's kinda hard to interpret text what without all of the intended emotion, body language, and tone.

Thirdly. Thank you. Are those 10 grams recommended to be taken within one day? So, once again, if I eat let's say 3 bowls a day and take 150% DV of Super B Complex pills a day, what effect, no matter how nominal, if any, will it have?

The B5 treatment uses about 100000% or so of the daily value... the amount you are getting from cereal is not going to be anything comparable.

Honestly, eating cereal to get rid of acne doesn't make much sense to me...

Glass Danse:

The B5 treatment uses about 100000% or so of the daily value... the amount you are getting from cereal is not going to be anything comparable.

Cereals - bad,

the only good cereals there is are the Ezekiel's

is healthy , I eat to many ezekiel bread which is same ingredient as cereals

and my skin is so clear.. i do break out sometime but my skin getting better

well total cereal's GI is 76 and it's wise to be on a low GI diet which is lower than 50. if you want vitamins, i would rather take the pill

Glass Danse:

Cereals - bad,

the only good cereals there is are the Ezekiel's

is healthy , I eat to many ezekiel bread which is same ingredient as cereals

and my skin is so clear.. i do break out sometime but my skin getting better

Good, i also have Ezekiel cereal, 4:9 the Original. I just don't eat it as often because it has less of the nutrients that Total has. But we went over this before haha, they probably aren't what they read on the label. The only difference Ezekiel makes from Total is less vitamin and mineral DV, but it has Copper (10%), more calories (190 compared to 100 [1/2 cup compared to 3/4 cup]), and more protein. Those are about the only differences, and I am not concerned about the calories since i need as much as i can burn for exercising. O ya, and Ez. is organic.

Good, i also have Ezekiel cereal, 4:9 the Original. I just don't eat it as often because it has less of the nutrients that Total has. But we went over this before haha, they probably aren't what they read on the label. The only difference Ezekiel makes from Total is less vitamin and mineral DV, but it has Copper (10%), more calories (190 compared to 100 [1/2 cup compared to 3/4 cup]), and more protein. Those are about the only differences, and I am not concerned about the calories since i need as much as i can burn for exercising. O ya, and Ez. is organic.

Ezekiel is probably the best box cereal in the market, or one of the best (I don't spend much time browsing the cereal aisle anymore).

But the absolute best "cereal" you could have is homemade oatmeal, grits, etc. That's the freshest, least processed option, and it's also inexpensive (but I admit that it's more time consuming).