Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
irishcharm

Help Please... BP and Retin-A

Hi :D

I went to see my dermatologist and she told me to use Retin-A Gel (0.025%) at night, and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) in the mornings. Well I've been on it for just under a week, and during the day my skin gets really flaky and red. I know this could just be a side effect, but it's pretty bad, my whole face will be covered in skin flakes, and the redness isn't too bad but it can be pretty bad. I've been using a moisturizer afterwards, byt its still pretty bad. Anyway should i continue with both, and hope this side effect goes away? or should i just start using one? leave it for a few days?, any help would be great, as I can't carry on with this awful dry skin :(

There has been a great improvement in my acne though :D So it is working..

Thank you :D and Merry Christmas :P

My doctor told me NOT to use the two together because of "dry face" which sounds exactly like what you have. Apparently it can cause a lot of damage, so I would advise you to stop using the BP with the Retin A.

Same sorta thing happened to me. Here's what you can do. The Retin-A is most likely the one causing the flaky skin. See what happens if you continue to regularly use the BP in the mornings but only use the Retin-A three or four times a week. It helped me. Or, you can use it regularly until your skin starts getting flaky, then skip a day or two.

I think it's pretty normal and agree it's the Retin-A causing it. When it happend to me I called my derm and he told me to just use it (The retin-A) every other day instead of everyday until my face adjusted.

Make sure to use a good lotion,and after about two weeks your face should get used to it and be fine.