Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
.moogle.

Log: starting today

so i've been dealing with moderate and sometime severe acne for about 2 years now and started going to my physician last June. was put on a variety of topicals, then moved on to bactrim, and minocycline has taken me to dec. 22

I went this morning and suggested a low dose of accutane after reading a lot about it.

I know that it seems pretty dumb to take accutane when i'm this young and i haven't tried all the medications i could've before accutane, but i have an older brother who has taken accutane and i just wanted to save myself from the frustration he had to go through for several years.

I could'nt find anyone else with a low dose who made a log so i'm guessing this can be helpful to a few people looking for answers and examples.

safeways closed lol damn holidays.

i was meaning to ask, is it weird that i didn't need a blood test before i got the prescription?

safeways closed lol damn holidays.

i was meaning to ask, is it weird that i didn't need a blood test before i got the prescription?

I didn't get bloodwork done before I got my prescription either.. My derm said it wasn't necessary because of the fact that I am on such a low dose (20mg for a month, then 20mg every other day). I'm on my 2nd month already. Don't worry about the bloodwork for now if you are only going to be on 10mg. If your dosage is upped, then make sure you get bloodwork done! Good luck :)

i didn't get any bloodwork done when I started with 20mg. I had my 2nd appointment at end of month 1 and he said I'll continue with 20mg a day for month 2 and 3, and then up it on month 4 (last month) and still no bloodwork. Maybe before month 4..

I think it might also depend where you're from. Where I live we won't have the Ipledge or anything like that... in fact, it was my first appointment with the derm and it lasted about 10 minutes, and I left with my prescription lol.

alright, after a few set backs i finally got my prescription filled!

so i guess we'll call this the beginning

Start of week one

i just took my first pill with a fish oil capsule.

im scared :wacko:

lol i have a peanut allergy and i read in the leaflet that it contains peanut oil, should i worry about that at all?

week 1.5

alright so i've taken 4 pills now and @#$% my face is all patchy and red >_<

lips are kind of dry but my face is really bothering me. this is normal eh? does it go away or stay till you stop taking it?

I'm young as well and both of my brothers have taken it too. Seeing family members with clear skin is hard for me. I finally got prescribed last month but i have to wait until my blood test to get it filled. Well, good luck on your journey! :)

week 1.5

alright so i've taken 4 pills now and @#$% my face is all patchy and red >_<

lips are kind of dry but my face is really bothering me. this is normal eh? does it go away or stay till you stop taking it?

Hmm, I don't want to worry/disappoint you or anything, but maybe that is a reaction to the peanut allergy you mentioned in the previous post? With only 4 pills, I am surprised your face would feel that way already - but everyone responds differently so maybe it is normal. See how it goes and how you feel in the next couple of days, and if you feel like something is off, maybe you should call your dermatologist and mention the allergy.

10 Pills

yeah i'm going to tell my doctor about the allergy but i seriously doubt it's what causing this, my allergic reactions to nuts never leads to dry skin/flakyness/peeling.

The extreme redness came after the day i ate a bunch of carrots, now that redness has been flaking off gradually since then but it totally sucks since i've read that people should stop using all cleansers and toners for the most part.

I used a salicylic acid toner after washing with just water this morning and my face looks a thousand times better, but im still worried that it could gradually fuck up my skin even more :doh:

i know that this peeling needs to be taken care of somehow atleast once a day, i just need to know the best method of doing it. i have an AHA cleanser in my house, and that salicylic acid toner. my experience is that most cleansers dry my skin out the most. toners are usually better.

also i guess i should note that my lower back aches when i sit awkwardly, and my right knee was sore kind of for like an hour today. the back pain started around day 6 and since then ive been taking a vitamin D supplement in the morning and its getting better. im sure that it hasn't gone away completely 'cause ive been getting absolutely no calcium :P

aaaaaaaand gradually i was getting more acne until i started taking vitamin D every morning, i have no idea why and it could be a coincidence

owww, i used the salicylic acid toner all over my face and wow this hurts. face is very very red and theres still dead skin errywhere... i'm at a loss. what should i do?

i still have this AHA cleanser i haven't tried and some pads with AHA, but on the ingredients for the pads it says it has like hydrogenated castor oil and cinnamomum... i get the feeling it'll be harsher.

15 pills

face is still very red/patchy/dry and remains that way regardless of how many times i moisturize.

back and knee feel perfectly fine again.

gonna try supplementing some vitamin E and see if it helps with the dryness.

God luck with your course. I would stop using products if I were you. Just wash your face with water twice a day and let the drugs do their thing. I've seen so many posts about facials, bp and exfoliating during the accutane course. I think we are so conditioned to battling the acne from the outside that it is hard for some of us to just let go. Realize that are skin is actually less oily and clogged then the average person for the term of the course.

yeah get rid of the harsh face products. if you want a gentle cleanser buy cerave or cetaphil. those won't irritate your skin at all. stay positive!

18 pills

I have pretty much no acne atm, aside from a few small bumps.

however my cheeks are really red and i flush very easily, but that doesn't bother me that much.

dry lips are still dry.

yesterday when i was going to sleep i got the feeling like that of a brand new big cyst pushing out of my cheek and thought that for sure it'd show itself fully the next morning but it didn't ! all i see is a tiny red dot

i hope this is a good sign.

oh i forgot to say! facial hair is growing really really fast since i started taking it. lol idk what that's all about

22 pills

its weird to see my accutane package with all those packets punched in

lol uhmm... theres blackheads EVERYWHERE. nose, upper cheeks, even a small area on both my fing thighs have little bumps. I never ever got blackheads that were noticeable like these before so its kind of strange.

i just got a haircut too, and a few days after, big itchy @$%#er comes up between my eyebrows right in the open. FML :doh:

24 pills

bahh i don't know if this is a coincidence or what but ever since i stared taking those vitamin E supplements my red cheeks went away, and the big ass zits i used to get occasionally are now coming up quite fast and it sucks! could be my initial breakout?

i'll stop or a while and see what happens.

26 pills

yeah this has gotta be some kind of IB thingy, lets hope it doesn't last very long.

i guess all i can do is wait :whistle:

Moogle... I suggest you to forget the permanent remission that will never happend. You know all the people with second courses without successful about it. It's better after 2 months on your daily 10 mg when your skin will produce a little or almost no sebum to take a maintenance dose of a pill or two of 10 mg per week or a week a pill and the other one two pills but it's the best you can do. Don't fall in the frustration once you left the drug. I've taken 500 mg / kg of cumulative dosage without achieve that stupid remission but now I have a permanent injury because of it.

With this way of keep your skin clear without any toxic troubles to your liver you can wait easily the SMT D002 at the end of year 2011 or beginnings of 2012:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/SMT-D002-...al-t222081.html

Greetings :hand:

Ariel

yeah i doubt that this is going to completely cure my acne but i mean...theres no harm in trying, especially with this low dose. I guess there was for you but theres no way in hell im taking this every day for more than 6 - 8 months. I'll talk to my doctor about a maintenance dose later on.

and yeah i've seen that thread and the one before it on the same topic, if it actually works how people are saying it will, and it pretty much cures acne... holy fuck that'll be incredible...

especially for my brother. he has a liver problem that forbids him from ever trying any antibiotic or accutane and i can tell he's declining mentally, fucking terrible to watch.

So tell your brother try to contact the lab because all you've said, mainly if you're living in UK. It would be very important to him, a real solution to his life.

I see all the people with initial breakouts and I'm pretty sure they're a bad hepatic/liver response to the drug because the punishment it makes to the liver. Many people have breakouts when the liver was under high pressure without having any oily skin or acne because a heavy food and other things.

Since the moment you can get rid the major part of the oil production it's enough to apply a maintenance dosage without expend more money without any sense because the non-sense "remission dream" I've told you previously. 2-3 month on 10 mg it's enough to achieve it, sometimes more if you've an extremely oily skin and other people within a month. The rest of breakouts will be bad liver responses because the drug, not acne. Even 0.2 mg / kg is enough to have bad liver responses.

At least give it a try... Even taking a just a capsule of 20 mg per 6 or 7 days (or 5 days if you have afraid) is quite cumulative and you'll never lose what you was taking all this time as you could see in the study.

I'm taking 0.1 mg / kg (a pill of 20 mg each 4 days) since a week and I've very slight dry lips since just the second intake without bad responses, headaches or tiredness (my organism felt so bad with 0.2 mg / kg, 10 mg daily) plus my oil production is decreasing with each pill I add.

Bye ;)

Ariel

thanks for the advice.

so does adding more to your cumulative dosage just keep your acne at bay for a little longer?

im starting to question how accutane works and i'm not buying it's mechanism of action. It's stated that it modifies genetics and thats why oil production is lowered. It looks like people who have acne come back have it come back after a minimum of a few months. seems weird since the half life of vitamin A is a few months, but then again i don't know how close accutane is to actual vitamin a.

does it make sense that taking accutane just stores it in the liver, and while its there it lowers sebum production, but as it decays or is excreted the acne comes back? would make the maintenance dose seem like a necessity

Isotretinoin just shrinks your oil-glands but not forever and years ago Vitamin A vs Isotretinoin was tested and the Vitamin A results much more toxic than isotretinoin in high dose. That's why we've isotretinoin with us not only because the money.

I'll take these low dosages of 20 mg each 4 days for 2-3 months, 4 months maximum. That's 0.1 mg / kg. I'll see the results then a maintenance dose of 10 or 20 mg each 6-7 days up to the SMT D002 realease. If SMT D002 wouldn't exist 3-3.5 years in the future, I'd take 10 mg / 0.03 mg / kg for maintenance my whole life if you want to know what I'd do.

I'll never sacrifice my life because of acne again. If others prefer do not take the risk or they're cowards... ok... but I'm pretty sure there's no risk about this since 3-4 months of cumulative dosage of 0.1 mg / kg then a maintenance dosage of 0.03 mg / kg it's not much to the liver. If I have the solution, I take it and I don't cry instead.

Bye :hand:

Ariel

29 pills

went to my doctor today to see blood results and whatnot. She didn't mention anything about the results but said my back is 100% clear now and lowered my dose to 10 mg every 2 days. I wonder why i'm still breaking out so much around my mouth.

29 pills

went to my doctor today to see blood results and whatnot. She didn't mention anything about the results but said my back is 100% clear now and lowered my dose to 10 mg every 2 days. I wonder why i'm still breaking out so much around my mouth.

You could get rid the oil production of your skin yet? I think once you do that you can try a maintenance dosage and au revoir acne forever so you can be peaceful with yourself and your soul waiting the Summit drug in 3 to 3.5 years. ;) It would be a very low cumulative dose in your liver without alter its functions.