Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sverd

How bad are my scars? (picture)

That isn't the clearest picture, but from what I see I say that your scars are probably just mild. They don't look deep and the edges appear soft.

I doubt they will fade on their own. However, I think your scars will respond well to treatment. I'm not sure what treatment I would try. CO2 is too severe for your scarring but I bet it will wipe away most of your indentations. Maybe you should try derma rolling, many people seem to like what it has done for them. I'm hesitant to recommend Fraxel Restore because I didn't get good results from it. On the other hand, my scarring is deeper than yours, so maybe a few sessions of Restore will work for you.

Overall, your scars don't look that bad and I would be quite hopeful about being able to improve them. Do your research and be patient. Scar improvement is unfortunately a long process. As for now you might want to try applying copper peptides and retin A. Don't apply a topical Vitamin C if you use copper peptides because they cancel each other out. Topical vitamin E is probably useless and at worst harmful.

From that picture, I would say mild/moderate scarring. Don't worry though, it's treatable. The depressed scars won't "fade" away but the red marks will (it will take some time, naturally, however). I, too, can't advise specifically what to do/where to go, etc. but look into the different lasers, dermarolling, and possibly fillers. I think the common peels (TCA, glycolic, lactic) would be too mild for the depressed scarring but then again, maybe a derm performing the procedure would have higher-strength acids in hand. The Jessner peel is pretty intense. Oh, and the peels and lasers should expedite the fading of red marks.

That's not bad at all...wait a year and some of it will definitely fill in on their own. Then you can consider treatments.....but honestly your scars look like they'd only be visible in bright, bright lighting.

I'm going to be honest and say that in my opinion you have a lot of scars. However I will look like this myself when the redness fades away. When it comes to scarring I think I'll be afraid to try any treatments without consulting my doctor first because I'd be afraid that the wrong scar treatments will damage the skin.

You were on a relatively high dose of accutane. Your skin has been thinned alot because of this. Over the next 6 months those scars will become less shallow and smoothe out somewhat. The redness is what is highlighting them but like already said, this will go.

Speaking from personal experience, the rolling scars WILL fade greatly over time. All of mine are gone with simple aging. The worst thing is though that my icepick scars have become larger boxcars over time and with collagen loss, so be very thankful you haven't icepick scars as I do not see those in the picture.

Retin A will help plump the scars up but if you stop using it you'll lose some of the benefit, not all, but some.

Those are rolling scars, I believe. Subcision, Needling and Punch excision will definitely help for such scars. And your skin do look extremely dehydrated. Maybe it was due to accutane.

Speaking from personal experience, the rolling scars WILL fade greatly over time. All of mine are gone with simple aging. The worst thing is though that my icepick scars have become larger boxcars over time and with collagen loss, so be very thankful you haven't icepick scars as I do not see those in the picture.

Retin A will help plump the scars up but if you stop using it you'll lose some of the benefit, not all, but some.

whats the difference between icepick and rolling? i've been researching this, trying to figure out the kind of scars i have, but have come up empty.

Edit: I understand it in technical terms, but have no visual aid in seeing a difference.

I wish my scars are like yours, mine are worse. I would definetly consult as many dermatologists as you can. Looks like to me it can readily be solved if you take the time and patience. From my personal experience, professional dermarolling did nothing for me. I'm my 2nd course of Erbium Fraxel and 12 days later, I'm seeing improvements to my rolling/indented scars, some filling-in of smaller pores/scars, and most noticeable is that my skin feels very very smooth and evenly colored (lighter). There are some improvements to the scars as a whole, but nothing you can say WOW. My doc is saying do at least 4 more times to see 50% improvements because I have alot of moderate/deep scars. Also you should wait a few months before doing any lasers after being on Accutane, I'm sure alot of dermatologist will ask you if you were on Accutane in advance. Good luck.

do you scars disapear when the surouning skin is strechted outwards from the scar ? if they do then they are soft scars (this is what my derm told me) and dermaroller would be a good option.

i also think that some of the scars will fill up on its own over time ... ive noticed that when i get a slighlty depressed scar that is still red, it is filled up by the time the redness disspaears. - think the redness is still a sign of healing

whats the difference between icepick and rolling? i've been researching this, trying to figure out the kind of scars i have, but have come up empty.

Edit: I understand it in technical terms, but have no visual aid in seeing a difference.

http://www.acnescars.com/types.html

The chart makes things seem clear cut and obvious but it doesn't always work out that way when you see real scars on a persons face.

Just finished accutane. My skin has never really scarred that bad but when I started getting severe cystic acne my skin just couldn't handle it. How bad are these? Do you think these will fade on their own? I think the red spots inside lots of the scars bothers me most.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1896/picture43jk5.jpg

Forget the scars, your a lovely lad from that picture :) Im sure others can see it too

Yes my scars are kinda shallow as someone mentioned, but I do have a lot of them. I don't think I have ice pick scars, I have indents where I used to have big cysts. My scars are similar to this in the left row second from bottom. Dunno what they called, rolling?

http://z.hubpages.com/u/285940_f260.jpg

Speaking from personal experience, the rolling scars WILL fade greatly over time.

Could you elaborate on this Wynne? I have similar scars from the years of cystic acne and would like to understand the science of them just fading over time.

Also, doesn't Retin-A-Micro just slough off a layer of skin to give the appearance of the scars fading? Those of us that are or were on Accutane have had this sloughing effect anyway. So how would Retin-A-Micro help us?

Speaking from personal experience, the rolling scars WILL fade greatly over time.

Could you elaborate on this Wynne? I have similar scars from the years of cystic acne and would like to understand the science of them just fading over time.

Also, doesn't Retin-A-Micro just slough off a layer of skin to give the appearance of the scars fading? Those of us that are or were on Accutane have had this sloughing effect anyway. So how would Retin-A-Micro help us?

I'm not sure if I agree with Wynne but here is some info about Retin-A.

I got it from here:

http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/ant...ing/retin-a.htm

How Retin-A Works

After the repeated application of Retin-A, the outermost skin layer (stratum corneum) thins. At the same time, the cells in the epidermis level are stimulated to produce a thickened epidermis layer. Through this stimulation, collagen production and cellular growth in the dermis layer also increase. Typically, benefits are fully evident after seven weeks of proper application. Treatment must be maintained in order to continue to reap the benefits of Retin-A. The doctor may recommend other therapies such as a specific daily skincare regimen to further improve and maintain the results.

Guest ranger42

For me, 5 months of retin-a thinned my skin and made every imperfection 10x more visible.

I'm really not a fan of retinoids when use on their own. That is just my opinoin though, they do help some people. The irritation and risks such as the above post put me off though.