Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
webbie

Do others not see what you see on your own face?

Why is that in some lighting I think my skin looks ok or even sometimes it looks good. In other lighting I think it's not great and then is some lighting I think my skin looks HORRIBLE! I don't understand why my skin actually looks pretty good in some light and then horrid in other light.

I know that many of us who have acne or other skin issues , we tend to scrutinize our face so we see things that many people don't see or even know to look for on our face. But what I'm talking about is this -- I'll look at my face in a mirror near an open window that has a lot of light and eventhough I see flaws, it doesn't look that bad to me, even without makeup. But then I'll look at my face in a mirror in my bathroom and I think my skin looks terrible and I'll see things that don't show up in the other mirror by my window. I actually think my skin tends to look better outside sometimes than it does in certain lights inside. And then sometimes in some lighting I think my skin looks great! And by the way, my skin almost always looks good in pictures. If I take a close up picture in bad light that I know shows my flaws then a picture might detect my skin flaws and issues.

My issue with my skin is that my cheeks do not look smooth. I have mild sun damage so the texture is rough looking on my cheeks and I have large pores and oily skin. I have mild acne too but the acne doesn't even bother me as much as my skin texture bothers me.

So sometimes my skin looks smooth to me and other times in other lighting it looks bumpy and rough, I don't get it! I have these flesh colored bumps on my left cheek that come and go and you can only really see them at a certain angle in certain lighting but they do make my skin look "coarse." My husband says that if I don't see this in every mirror in every lighting that it must not be that bad. My sisters says she sees how my skin is kinda bumpy but she says it's not that bad and that she cannot see everything that I complain about unless I point it out to her. My mom said that she didn't even know what I was talking about when I recently complained to her about my skin.

Do any of you feel this way too? Sometimes I think everyone else thinks I must be mental and a bit overboard about this but all I want is smooth skin! My husband who sees me up close says that he does not see what I see. I want to believe that everyone is not just being nice about this and lying to me but when I look in the mirror I am horrified sometimes! Other times I think my skin actually looks ok.

About 3 times in the past 2 years I've thought "Wow it's getting better now!" then I look into a car mirror or so and JESUS! It makes me sink inside then I realise it was all in my head or I was in better lighting before...

I like to think to myself other people don't notice it as much but I really doubt that.

People tell me all the time that they don't see what I'm talking about and that my acne is not that bad at all.

One friend of mine gets particularly exasperated with me because she doesn't understand why I don't believe every single person I know when they tell me that my skin is not that bad.

It's so hard to believe what other people see when what you see on yourself is obviously so different. When I look at my face, I feel like I look like a pizza, but my friends tell me I just have a few zits.

It's really kind of scary. I'll take a picture of myself with no makeup to see how bad things look and zits that I see in the mirror do not show in the picture.

I mean, that's technically a hallucination, isn't it? My camera is a Nikon with high resolution.

I must be crazy. :dance:

That's exactly what I do too! I'll take a picture in different types of lighting and it never looks as bad on camera to me as it does in the mirror. And everyone else tells me the same thing too -- that it is NOT that bad. We were in Target the other night and I consider that store to have particularly harsh lighting and I always feel self conscious in lighting like that. I asked her to look at my face while we were there and she told me that an acne mark I have looks like a freckle to her. I asked her about the texture of my skin and she said that it was not bad either.

Not bad DOES mean that there is something there, but that it's not as bad as I think it is. I would love it if my skin really looked like it does in pictures cuz this stuff just doesn't show up on camera!

^I don't think so. If they were lying, they would tell me that my face is flawless, haha.

Also, I always make it a point to ask my most brutally honest friends about my skin.

(i.e: the ones who will tell me when I look fat in an outfit or when I have boogers in my nose)

And I thought I was the only one who took pictures to see how I looked. I sometimes just go and look at the mirrors at the store to see how I look. Also, I make excuses to go to the bathroom and see how look. My red marks are driving me crazy

ur thread is the story of my life.

Also that comment about target's harsh lighting is an understatement.

That store has the worst lighting of all time.

Its brutal in there.

With me its the opposite.

I look better in real life than i do in pics

god this is my problem too... car mirrors are the WORST. I don't know why... magic? lol

but bloody hell I could be feeling great about my skin then I catch a 'bad' reflection that shows m skin having HORRIBLE texture etc and I feel like dying. I havn't looked in the 'bad' mirrors for several weeks now (i've become more experienceD) as I don't want to lower my morale. So maybe its not that bad anymore. But I won't be looking in any car mirrors till my skin is back on track lol.

oh and I think I look far worse in photos than what I see in the mirror! I think its the flash, and my pale skin..

Yes. I hate car mirrors. I like to sit in the back of a car now to avoid seeing myself in the mirror.

Sometimes other people see my face as being worse then what I see and sometimes other people see my face as being better then what I see.

You do not see yourself accurately as you scrutinize your skin up close and personal and likely within inches of the mirror, checking each little area multiple times a day. Who else does that with your skin? Not even your dermatologist, I bet!

I know a person who does have severe acne scarring all across her cheeks. It was the second thing I noticed about her when I met her but after knowing her for a few weeks, I honestly don't even see the scars anymore. People tend to look at the whole of someone, not parts.