Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hina79

Can I return a Clinique product if I tried it only once?

Hey guys. I am in UK and bought almost powder compact makeup from a Clinique counter in Boots. The sales lady tried it on me there and the color looked ok so I bought it. But when I came home and tried it again, to my horror I saw that this makeup has slight shimmer to it. You cant see the shimmer from far, but definitely can see it from near. The shimmer is also visible in the compact when you see closely. I had read reviews about this on makeupalley.com and suprisingly I didn't read anyone mentioning the shimmer. Also the clinique website doesnt say something about the shimmer, its probably from the mica or titanium dioxide used in the makeup, which provides SPF. I bought this one b/c I wanted something quick and which would look natural and shimmer certainly doesn't look natural. I paid 18 pounds for this and I was wondering if I can still return it athough I used it like only once?

you should be able to. i'm in the us, but all make-up counters here will take products back if they didn't work for you. a lot of times there is only a 30 day window, so you'll want to make sure to take it back asap.

Just have your card or whatever you paid with so they can return your money to you :) might give you a look of "why do you want to return this?" but yes you can.

things aren't that easy when returning make-up in the UK people. I tried once and they refused under 'health and hygeine' blah blah... They looked at me like I was totally crazy and was pulling a fast-one. :shifty:

As she sold it to you, you could try, but she could argue you saw the product and approved and it's not her fault.

I don't think it works like that in the UK unfortunately... You can only return makeup that's brand new and untouched...

You can still try though, good luck!

Hey guys, a quick update. I was able to return the compact at the Clinique counter in Boots today and got my money back! The lady was so sweet and not grumpy at all b/c I was returning it. I was under the impression that they dont take cosmetics back if it has been opened. I tried to return an Olay tinted moisturizer just 2 weeks back at Boots after trying it only once. The color was a bit too dark but the lady flatly refused. But I am happy that I could return this one, maybe because Clinique has a different return policy than Boots.

Overall I think its better to buy makeup from the counters b/c they can select the right color for you and also b/c you can return stuff if you dont like it unlike the stores.