Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TOOLD4ACNE

Should I try Accutane - side effects

:nag:

Don't get mad at us because you want to pull bs statistics out of your @ss and pass misguided information off to some poor user who thinks this is some miracle drug.

98% have had AMAZING results... i'm sorry but this isn't high school, you're accountable for what you say and that is just rediculous.

Okay, folks, I don't know what the problem here is. Maybe it's the holidays. Maybe it's something in the water. Maybe the stars are aligning all wrong lately, but whatever the reason -

start playing nicer. This website is about the free exchange of information and experience, this includes Accutane and this includes information and experience on ALL sides, positive, negative, and in between. It is possible to discuss this without getting rude, crude, arroguant, and otherwise display assaholic behavior. I've done some cleaning up here, let's try to keep it that way.

In other words, keep it to the issue, not the poster.

In a recent accutane poll. 20% of acne.org members said taking Accutane was the worst decision of their life.

you mean, 20% of your poll respondents.

I seriously doubt that you had 100% response from acne.org members.

I just wanted to say that taking accutane turned out to be a really bad experience. Initially i thought it was brilliant. My acne cleared completely and i had beautiful skin with seemingly no side affects. However about a year later my acne returned and i seemed to be experiencing some kind of breakdown, both mentally and physically. Probably the mental side of it was the distress of the acne returning. A couple of years later, because my skin was still not perfect i stupidly took another dose. Again my skin was really good all the while i was on it. But this time my acne returned with a vengeance about a month later. Not only was my acne terrible but i looked AWFUL, i looked really, really ill - like my body had been poisoned. It was a dreadful time. I would honestly say if anyone is thinking of taking that drug, 'DON'T DO IT!!!'

I now realise that the body has to be treated holistically and taking accutane only surpress the acne. I don't think it is a long term option if you want to be well and healthy.

Good lord - she's never gonna post here again... :rolleyes:

To the topic starter - you weren't the one I was talking to the other day about mychelle products, are you?

Alright everyone....Although I haven't decided to go through with it for sure, I have made the first steps. I went to the dermatologists and got the iPledge pamphlet. I did read it from cover to cover and SHIZZ, although I appreciate your list of possible side effects, I disagree with your statement that Accutane is a Steroid. I do have some medical knowledge and I don't see the correlation. Maybe you can explain that to me?

What does concern me is the unknown long term side affects, but as nlmlillysmom stated, do we know these with any of the medications we take????

I am going to see my derm in 2 weeks where I will discuss these concerns with her. I will then hopefully make the most informed decision I can and hopefully, the right one for me. Obviously, people on this thread feel very passionately about Accutane and I appreciate all of the honest posts.

Until then, Sheefa is there a place I can see why 20% of the people on this site polled say that taking Accutane was the worst decision of their lives??? That is quite a high number. One can never have enough research!

Thanks everyone!

To the topic starter - you weren't the one I was talking to the other day about mychelle products, are you?

Nope, that wasn't me.....Oh, and don't worry, I don't get scared off that easy! But I have to say I have not heard of people have issues so much later after taken Accutane. Is that common?

I just wanted to say that taking accutane turned out to be a really bad experience. Initially i thought it was brilliant. My acne cleared completely and i had beautiful skin with seemingly no side affects. However about a year later my acne returned and i seemed to be experiencing some kind of breakdown, both mentally and physically. Probably the mental side of it was the distress of the acne returning. A couple of years later, because my skin was still not perfect i stupidly took another dose. Again my skin was really good all the while i was on it. But this time my acne returned with a vengeance about a month later. Not only was my acne terrible but i looked AWFUL, i looked really, really ill - like my body had been poisoned. It was a dreadful time. I would honestly say if anyone is thinking of taking that drug, 'DON'T DO IT!!!'

I now realise that the body has to be treated holistically and taking accutane only surpress the acne. I don't think it is a long term option if you want to be well and healthy.

OK....your freaking me out a little but can you explain what you mean when you say that you looked "really, really ill" and did it go away? Are you sure it was from the Accutane?

Hey..TOOLD4ACNE

Funnily enough we have very similar stories..I never had acne as a teenager and then it hit me at the age of 25! For a year I tried ipl (aka blue light treatments), differin gel/cream, doxycycline, i even cut down on chocolate! Then after realizing that all these treatments failed I went to a new derm who prescribed Roaccutane! I had heard about it and was very hesitant cause of the side effects but my doctor assured me that on a low dosage the side effects r minimal...

So i'm proud to say I've been on accutane for almost 90 days now..and the only visible side effect is the dry lips :) I only take 20 mg a day...the regular dosage is 1 mg per 1 kg...i'm 55 kg.. so its a mild dosage.

My acne is practically non-existent now...i only have marks/scars of where they used to be...but my face is much clearer, less oily, etc..

So i'll be taking accutane for a longer period of time (unless my derm decides to increase the dosage half way through) but i don't mind cause it's working and i don't feel i'm on something aggressive or anything.

I do tests when asked to make sure my liver is functioning normally and so far so good!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Nope, that wasn't me.....Oh, and don't worry, I don't get scared off that easy! But I have to say I have not heard of people have issues so much later after taken Accutane. Is that common?

OK....your freaking me out a little but can you explain what you mean when you say that you looked "really, really ill" and did it go away? Are you sure it was from the Accutane?

Basically, i do believe it was to do with the accutane. It is a very toxic drug, that is why you have to have liver function tests whilst you are on it!! BUT, having said that....i suppose it was MY reaction to it and everybody is different and peoples bodies react in different ways to things. I just wanted to tell of my own experience....i don't think i am alone though. We must all do what we feel is right for us at the time. It is not a route i would chose ever again though!

Hey..TOOLD4ACNE

Funnily enough we have very similar stories..I never had acne as a teenager and then it hit me at the age of 25! For a year I tried ipl (aka blue light treatments), differin gel/cream, doxycycline, i even cut down on chocolate! Then after realizing that all these treatments failed I went to a new derm who prescribed Roaccutane! I had heard about it and was very hesitant cause of the side effects but my doctor assured me that on a low dosage the side effects r minimal...

So i'm proud to say I've been on accutane for almost 90 days now..and the only visible side effect is the dry lips :) I only take 20 mg a day...the regular dosage is 1 mg per 1 kg...i'm 55 kg.. so its a mild dosage.

My acne is practically non-existent now...i only have marks/scars of where they used to be...but my face is much clearer, less oily, etc..

So i'll be taking accutane for a longer period of time (unless my derm decides to increase the dosage half way through) but i don't mind cause it's working and i don't feel i'm on something aggressive or anything.

I do tests when asked to make sure my liver is functioning normally and so far so good!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks for your info....it was very enlightening. I am definitely going to be on the lowest dose possible. It seems anything around or over 80mg starts giving people problems. Also, making sure I have my liver functions tested regularly is very important too. I went off the minocycline I was taking in prep for the possibility of Accutane and boy am I breaking out like crazy! I hope this is going to be worth it cuz I can hardly stand to wake up in the morning and see what new zit I have to deal with. I am too old for this! :doh:

It seems anything around or over 80mg starts giving people problems.

It's more like 40mg actually. A 'safe' dose would be 20mg max per day, but if I HAD to take it again, I would go for no more than 10mg until clear and then 10mg once a week from there.