Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gabgi26

PCOS, Acne and the Evra patch

Hello.

I'm 27 years old and about 10 years ago, my hormonal nightmare began. At first, it started as mild to moderate (but awfully persistent acne) as well as painful periods, so I went to about 5 different dermatologists. Gynecologists and endocrinologist diagnosed me with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), and since then I've been on and off with different types of birth control pills, and it's just getting tiresome. First, I was on Diane-35 for 9 months, then Metformin, then Accutane (which helped me a lot, but according to my endocrinologist it was a waste of money and time, since the acne will eventually come back because of the freaking PCOS). According to my endocrinologist the only salvation I have to get rid of this annoying syndrome or at least decrease its symptoms is to have a baby, and well, that's not in my plans right now.

Anyways, recently, I was put on Belara, but it messed up my stomach so bad. I was nauseous ALL the time, couldn't eat properly, so took Belara for like 4 months, and then recently got on the Evra Patch, since the pills were just affecting my stomach (I have gastritis and colitis, so my stomach just can't tolerate pills that well). Now, I've only used the patch for 3 weeks, and it's been good. No stomach issues, so that makes me happy; however, I've come across awful, scary reports about the patch being dangerous and not even helpful controlling acne from PCOS.

Anybody wearing the patch? Has it helped with PCOS and acne? Anyone with similar hormonal imbalance nightmare stories? I have an appointment with a new obgyn tomorrow and I already fear she's gonna give me yet another contraceptive. :(