Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dude! as much as I hate my acne and, for the past months (about 5 months ago) hating myself in general? One thing I wont do is to experience more pain.

Sometimes people want the physical pain to block out the emotional pain.

I was once at a point where I took a pair of toe nail clippers and used them on a pimple. I feel you.

I am going to go ahead and contradict what some people said here and suggest you do NOT try to seek help. If this is something you continue doing, that is when you need professional help. If you were to go now, it would just create more problems (should you not understand this, I can elaborate).

Always remember your acne will be gone some day.

I was once at a point where I took a pair of toe nail clippers and used them on a pimple. I feel you.

I am going to go ahead and contradict what some people said here and suggest you do NOT try to seek help. If this is something you continue doing, that is when you need professional help. If you were to go now, it would just create more problems (should you not understand this, I can elaborate).

uhhhh sorry but i'm a bit more experienced in this. The minute you take a knife to your face it means its time to talk to someone. When i overdosed 2x on sperate occasions i wasn't trying to hurt myself either, in fact it seemed perfectly logical what i was doing at the time.

it wasn't. I did need help to recognize patterns of behaviour.

i respect that what you think worked for you but never NEVER tell someone not to look for help when they're feeling so horrible. It not shameful, its not weak and it often helps a hell of a lot more than it hurts.

bad advice is only going to lead others to think they don't need to talk to anyone when they make decisions that hurt them.

just saying.

wow this brings back memories for me. sounds like extreme frustration/desperation and really low self esteem. I remember having similiar thoughts, using sandpaper, purposely getting face sunburnt so it would peel etc and when my skin finely cleared, the scars were so upsetting thought about cutting my skin in hopes the old scars would be removed with new skin healing.

Im a sucker for pain, so sandpaper was too sore to continue, and never did cut my face, but i can understand how it can happen - irrational thoughts.

It is hard to do but the only advice i can give you is purposely practice not dwelling on your imperfections. I think with acne/scarring we tend to look in the mirror more than normal and inspect everything. Get into the habit of not looking in the mirror to only look at the state of your skin.

that's funny. I've been telling myself that for over 10 years now.

I have a question for the OP... did the knifing help though? did the acne eventually go away?

When you get that obsessed over one (or a collection) of spots it's so hard not to fixate on them but you've got to distract yourself and let it heal.

Get some calamine lotion, blob it on the areas you can't bear to look at then as others have said, grab an iPod or walkman and run off your anger. Silly as it sounds, watching Rocky was what first inspired me to run but it works.

that's funny. I've been telling myself that for over 10 years now.

I have a question for the OP... did the knifing help though? did the acne eventually go away?

instead of saying "one day the acne will be gone" say "one day i'll be able to look back at myself and realize that my life was better than i thought because one day its going to get better".

your acne may or may not improve. You could be hit by a bus and paralized tomorrow, you could wind up homeless in 10 years or develop cancer, or not. You could win the lottery, get married and live happily ever after or not.

theres a great line from a song that says "I keep thinking tomorrow is coming today so I am endlessly waiting".

basically if you keep waiting for something your days are going to pass you by and you'll never really see whats in front of you, say you get clear, then you get hit by a car or someone you love dies, i'll bet at that point you'll be longing for the days when pimples were your problem.

we can't change anything but our minds and the present. We can work on ourselves, take care of ourselves to try to feel and look better but how we see life is important. Some of the most beautiful and most appreciated moments and revelations about self, some of the things that make us truly great, happen when we're not looking for them.

so instead of waiting for the acne to clear up someday why not say "one of these days, i'm going to wake up and feel good" because THAT is something that you can put money on.

In short by all means get help for your acne, it is a medical condition and of course we all want to be clear, but most importanty make sure you take care of your inner self. If it means talking to someone, going to church or temple, meditation, whatever it is that gives you a sense of purpose.

theres no point in being clear afterall if you're still empty inside.

beleive me. I know. I'm clear and do you think i feel a damn bit better? not yet. but i'm working on it and thats the most important part.

my doctor once said, "one day once you start to feel better, you'll be able to handle a pimple or two, it won't be the end of the world its just right now it takes next to nothing to knock you over the edge" i thought she was full of shit, pimples gone and everythings fine right? nope. she was right you just find something new to focus on.

so put the gameplan on fixing YOU and the reason why you hurt. Take special care of your heart and soul, you only get one of those and your skin replenishes daily.