Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I recently went to a derm, and he recommended (in addition to a variety of other things) that i apply "cortaid creme" with 1% hydrocortisone to my skin.

At the time i assumed it was just another acne topical, but after picking it up at the store, it appears to be "for the temporary relief of itching associate with minor skin irritation, inflammation and rashes.

Does anyone have any reason to think something like this would have a positive effect? I am kind of hesitant to put on non-acne designed topical on my face.

I have actually been doing this for about 3-4 days now. I read a long time ago it can help and am tired of everything else and figured it probably couldn't hurt and may be better than all the chemicals in acne products. No immidiate results for me but i will say that I haven't gotten a new pimple in the areas I have been applying. It seems to help moisterize the area also, because my skin tends to get flakey in healing areas. I know that people get cortizone injections to get rid of zits so I just figured this has cortizone in it and is used for healing skin problems so, sounds good to me. Im going to continue to do this for awhile because I think I'm on to something. If you decide to try it let me know what your outcome is.

I recently went to a derm, and he recommended (in addition to a variety of other things) that i apply "cortaid creme" with 1% hydrocortisone to my skin.

At the time i assumed it was just another acne topical, but after picking it up at the store, it appears to be "for the temporary relief of itching associate with minor skin irritation, inflammation and rashes.

Does anyone have any reason to think something like this would have a positive effect? I am kind of hesitant to put on non-acne designed topical on my face.

thanks. it looks like i will procede with caution. i think i will just try to treat one area with it at first, then expand if it has any sucess.

Don't do this! It's one thing to apply it to inflamed lesions, but on bare skin cortisone is not something you want to be consistently using over a prolonged period of time. The cream is also comedogenic (meaning it will clog your pores) and will cause more acne for you in the future.

Researched this a bit. This is NOT to be used in pregnant women. I am freeking out. Only been doing it about 5 days but am pregnant! Just a heads up to anyone reading this who may be expecting. Says in studies in rodents it caused birth defects. No studies in humans but I am freeking now!

Hydrocortisone is a steroid and thus should be used sparingly... but it is anti-inflammatory and should help with painful, inflamed lesions.

Look up google images of overuse of cortisone creams. Cortisone creams should not be used for mild to moderate acne and should be used sparingly and for short-term (less than a week!) for severe acne or you risk steroid induced rosacea AND permanent redness, thinned skin, and severe acne.

The below link is an acne.org post with images of what one guy's over-use of steroid creams did.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Corticost...am-t161543.html

relax.

hydrocortisone 1% is the weakest or 2nd weakest corticosteroid you can get.

it won't have systemic effects like ORAL prednisone does

ease off on the scare.

it's ok to use a weak corticosteroid like this on skin to reduce pimple inflammation.

a dermatologist has gone through shitloads of training. you think he knows less than you do?

relax.

hydrocortisone 1% is the weakest or 2nd weakest corticosteroid you can get.

it won't have systemic effects like ORAL prednisone does

ease off on the scare.

it's ok to use a weak corticosteroid like this on skin to reduce pimple inflammation.

a dermatologist has gone through shitloads of training. you think he knows less than you do?

No, it is not ok to use corticosteroids on the face for long-term, it WILL have systemic effects with long-term use or excessive use. Don't be dismissive of my training and knowledge.

From the Cortaid website:

Q. How long can I use a CORTAID® hydrocortisone product?

A. This product can be used for up to 7 days. If symptoms persist for more than 7 days, or if the condition worsens, or clears up and occurs again within a few days, you should consult a physician.

From drugs.com:

Less serious side effects may include:

• skin redness, burning, itching, or peeling;

• thinning of your skin;

• blistering skin; or

• stretch marks.

From consumer reports health:

Hydrocortisone topical:

What side effects can this medication cause?

Hydrocortisone may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

• drying or cracking of the skin

• acne

• itching

• burning

• change in skin color

From Medicalnews.today.com:

Study on OTC hydrocortisone use:

The most common way in which people were not compliant with directed uses was in using the creams to treat cuts. It also was used to treat acne, athlete's foot, arthritis and jock itch, against the recommendations on the label. HC is not effective in treating these conditions.

if you see any of those side effects, of course stop, and all will be reversed. skin will start to divide again, etc

I use hydrocortisone for the long term for eczema. longer than 7 days. I use it for months. and I do not see skin thinning, or Cushing's syndrome, or any of that crap.

fact is, 1% hydrocortisone has minimal absorption, and with the little spot treatments you do, the dosage is not enough to cause side effects. skin atrophy also rarely occurs with this weak hydrocortisone.

a drug company's website has to give you the worst case scenario warning label.

And Wynne.... how much medical/science training do you have?

a dermatologist goes through 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, plus any other further training. and with a drug as common as corticosteroids, you'd bet they have extensive experience with this

From Medicalnews.today.com:

Study on OTC hydrocortisone use:

The most common way in which people were not compliant with directed uses was in using the creams to treat cuts. It also was used to treat acne, athlete's foot, arthritis and jock itch, against the recommendations on the label. HC is not effective in treating these conditions.

no one said it treats acne.

it reduces the swelling and redness that comes with it.

obviously, if you don't have pimples in the area, don't apply the steroids in that area.

if you see any of those side effects, of course stop, and all will be reversed. skin will start to divide again, etc

I use hydrocortisone for the long term for eczema. longer than 7 days. I use it for months. and I do not see skin thinning, or Cushing's syndrome, or any of that crap.

fact is, 1% hydrocortisone has minimal absorption, and with the little spot treatments you do, the dosage is not enough to cause side effects. skin atrophy also rarely occurs with this weak hydrocortisone.

a drug company's website has to give you the worst case scenario warning label.

And Wynne.... how much medical/science training do you have?

a dermatologist goes through 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, plus any other further training. and with a drug as common as corticosteroids, you'd bet they have extensive experience with this

RN 12 years. I know of which I type. Thanks for asking. And kindly do not disparage me again.