Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello guys. I just thought I’d share my experience with Vitamin B5. Most posts I’ve read online about B5 tend toward extremes, but my relationship with the vitamin is bit more complicated. Here goes:

I started using B5 in September of 2007. I began at 3 grams a day and within about a week, I noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of sebum being pumped out by my skin. Before, my face had been extremely oily. I continued on at 3 grams a day through the end of the year, and though I was never 100% clear, I did come very close at times. It was around January of 2008 that I started having minor problems; namely, I developed eczema around the elbows of both arms. I began treating it with steroid creams, and those at first worked extremely well in causing it to go into remission.

In the summer, I decided to try cutting my B5 down to about 1 gram a day. After about 2 weeks, my skin started to become very oily again, and my face began to break out. I decided to up the dosage again to 3 grams, but it didn’t seem to work as it had before. I then upped the dosage to 5 grams, but that didn’t seem to get me back to my former level, either. Nevertheless, I continued at 5 grams a day. At that time, I started using a glycolic acid cream nightly. After a month, I determined that the cream was only irritating my skin, and I stopped it. Strangely, the B5 then seemed to be just as effective as it had been before the summer, and I was able to knock it back down to 3 grams a day. (To this day, I still wonder whether the glycolic acid had something to do with restoring the potency of the B5.)

From the end of the summer to November, I continued at 3 grams a day. During that time, the eczema on my arms seemed to be getting worse and worse—not in terms of expansion of affected area, but in the difficulty of forcing it back into remission. The steroid creams simply weren’t working as well. Around October, I developed a small patch of eczema on the right side of my face. After a month of trying to treat it, I decided that I would have to cut the B5 down dramatically, so I slashed it by half, ending up at 1.5 grams a day. That’s where I still am, as I feel my face is still adjusting to the cutback. My skin has gotten a lot oilier, and my forehead is breaking out rather badly. Once my forehead calms down, I’ll probably try to cut it down even more; I may even drop it altogether, since the eczema does seem to be improving now.

Let me now summarize my thoughts on B5:

It is very, very effective at cutting down on oil, and there is no doubt that, as a consequence, it helped me in keeping my acne under control. That said, I was never completely clear on B5.

Also, I seemed to have problems with lingering hyperpigmentation and slow wound-healing (problems that dog me even now). The eczema was just plain awful, and still hasn’t completely gone away. I can tell you this without hesitation: if I had to make a choice between moderate acne and moderate eczema, I’d take the acne any day of the week. Of course, it’s possible that it’s unrelated, but since I had never had a problem with it before, I’m inclined to attribute it to B5.

Cost was never much of an issue, and in fact, it was cheaper than just about any other prescription product I have ever used.

In the end, I think the main issue is sustainability, and I’m not entirely sure that B5 passes that test. It may not cause problems for everyone, but there’s just no telling what will happen to one’s body as a result of years and years of very high doses of the vitamin. I never even went to 10 grams a day (!!!) as some people here have done.

I want to emphasize that, despite all the problems I experienced, I still regret having to cut it out and go back to oily skin. It sucks!

I’d like to hear from others who have tried the B5 experiment. I am particularly interested to know whether anyone else has experienced patches of eczema, problems with hyperpigmentation, or slow wound-healing.

there are a number of factors that could have contributed to your varying results

diet, regimens, age, stress, sleeping habits, overall lifestyle

maybe you should have reduced ur glycolic application to every other night or less dosage if it was causing irritation. Regimens can take longer than a month to give you the results you need.

i just realized you're pretty damn new huh? (dec 22, 2008) yeah you should keep on researching stuff like diet, age, hormones, and all that other stuff.

best of luck with your endeavors

Do not recommend B5 at all. used it for about a week and noticed nothing but problems:

slow healing

bad break out

soar corners of lips

headaches

dry skin

nausea

I started with about 5 grams and then moved up to 10 g after a day or two. My skin was less oily, but my acne got much much worse, and I even felt sick from it.

There is just not enough substantial evidence that this stuff really works. Maybe for some it can, but it is not safe to be on such a high dose, as i now realize. this is because too much b5 can deplete your biotin, b6, and b12 levels, making you tired, and in my case, sort of sick.

Bottom line is that not enough research has been done on this treatment. I would definitely consider talking to a derm for a better solution than trying this method.

save yourself the hassle and don't even try this suff.

in my opinion too much of anything isn't usually good- and 5-10g/ day is a LOT

I guess the OP was unaware to take Biotin.

Signs of Biotin Deficiency: In general, appetite and growth are decreased. Dermatologic symptoms include dermatitis, alopecia (hair loss) and achromotrichia (absence or loss of pigment in the hair[6]). Perosis (a shortening and thickening of bones) is seen in the skeleton. Fatty Liver and Kidney Syndrome (FLKS) and hepatic steatosis also can occur.[2]

Yes about a year ago, I took B5 over the course of about 1-2 weeks along with another B-multi vitamin, I developed strange pink and red rashes (mild eczema?) over my legs and parts of my body. It was dry, sometimes itchy and very uncomfortable. This was extremely odd because I've never seen anything like this before.

I attributed this to both B vitamins I was taking and immedialtey stopped. The week later, this skin rash immediately went away and I haven't seen it since. So yes I agree that megadosing B5 will trigger strange reactions in some people.

Yes about a year ago, I took B5 over the course of about 1-2 weeks along with another B-multi vitamin, I developed strange pink and red rashes (mild eczema?) over my legs and parts of my body. It was dry, sometimes itchy and very uncomfortable. This was extremely odd because I've never seen anything like this before.

I attributed this to both B vitamins I was taking and immedialtey stopped. The week later, this skin rash immediately went away and I haven't seen it since. So yes I agree that megadosing B5 will trigger strange reactions in some people.

i know you said that you took a b complex, but did you also take biotin? biotin is rarely included at high enough doses in a b complex to make a difference while megadosing, so you must take an extra biotin to make up for this.

i know you said that you took a b complex, but did you also take biotin? biotin is rarely included at high enough doses in a b complex to make a difference while megadosing, so you must take an extra biotin to make up for this.

You are correct, I was not taking Biotin in my 1-2 week trial. I am not aware Biotin will make up for intolerance or allergic reactions in a skin condition, only in aiding hair growth. That being said, my 1-2 week trial was enough to steer me away towards alternatives. I have also been reading other side effects (do a search on google) associated with B5 in which men reported a triggering of MPB (hairloss) that was difficult to conquer later on.

Would I come back to B5 potentially at some point? Perhaps, it is always a possibility. I can say that I will probably try safer regimens (with less anedoctal side effects) first before B5.

You are correct, I was not taking Biotin in my 1-2 week trial. I am not aware Biotin will make up for intolerance or allergic reactions in a skin condition, only in aiding hair growth. That being said, my 1-2 week trial was enough to steer me away towards alternatives. I have also been reading other side effects (do a search on google) associated with B5 in which men reported a triggering of MPB (hairloss) that was difficult to conquer later on.

Would I come back to B5 potentially at some point? Perhaps, it is always a possibility. I can say that I will probably try safer regimens (with less anedoctal side effects) first before B5.

I too have done my research. it tells me that b5 does not cause MPB. it causes diffuse hairloss when you are not supplementing enough biotin and b complex along with it. i can guarantee you that any symptoms associated with a megadose of b5 are a direct result of a vitamin deficiency. too much b5 itself is NOT harmful and is passed out the system. The only harmful things result when b5 blocks other b vitamins from absorbing. That is why you take a biotin and b complex at a different time than the b5 to get all the b vitamins into your system in a sufficient dosage.

did you take a b complex and biotin with your b5?

I may be a new member, but I have been lurking on these forums for 5+ years, and my battle with acne has been going on for 8+. I did all the research I possibly could before starting B5. I took both a B-complex and a separate biotin supplement as a part of my regimen. One major problem is that almost all evidence for or against B5 is anecdotal, as one earlier poster pointed out. Enough research simply has not been done. I also wish to reiterate that I am not telling anyone not to try B5. I only wish to make my experience known, and see whether there are others who have experienced the same. The fact that others are having the same eczematic reaction suggests to me that it might be related to B5.

One poster above noted that he saw the eczema develop within only 1-2 weeks. I find it hard to believe that it could be related to biotin deficiency, as a deficiency would probably take longer to manifest itself symptomatically. The poster also noted that he/she had never had problems with eczema before that--the same for me, by the way.

My guess is that the eczematic reaction, if there really is one, has to do with the dramatic reduction of oil that B5 brings about. B5 taken orally will likely affect oil production throughout the entire body, not just on the face. For people with dry body skin, this might lead to complications. One of the earlier posters noted a similar experience with Accutane, which also dramatically reduces oil. Of course, I myself took Accutane without such a side effect, so I don't know whether there could be anything to my idea.

At the least, I don't think there's any way we can say for sure at this point that the only side effects of B5 have to do with secondary B-vitamin deficiencies.