Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jonima

Enough is enough!

No one should ever suffer from acne. No one. The hapless who get infested with it endure through so much.

I am on my fourth year of acne, with so many ups and down physically. I wish it would just go away. I'm not hoping for a miracle, or wanting it to go away by the time i wake up tomorrow morning and look in the mirror. I know acne takes time to get rid of. I'm not naive nor inexperienced with acne...i wish i was though.

For those of you who want to hear me out, I am 17 and male. I first got pimples ---> acne when i was 13 yrs old. Long story short, I got rid of acne completely last year through Accutane, got pulled off after 3 months, and i was that 10% who got the acne back again. Now it has spread all over my face, mainly mild-moderate acne, but now i have cysts on my jaw. It kills me to see my skin get worse when it was clear last year.

My parents are not cooperating. My mom is to say the least, a bitch. My dad doesn't have time to care with all of his work. And he is my main source of acne, i think. I inherited my acne from him- he and his brothers had severe cystic acne as teenagers and young adults. Not only do they not care, they do not think it is necessary for me to clear up my face. Plus, money's priority in our family is for the necessities, what with the recession and all.

Anyone who replies to this post, thank you, but please assume I know more than enough on health, skin, and products and supplements. For a rundown as to avoid any unnecessary advice, I play soccer all year around and exercise regularly (5'11'' 150 lbs). i drink more than enough water in a day. I take a multivitamin, never eat junk food, eat healthy with enough fruit and vegetables (i'm actually kind of a health nut), wash my face only twice a day very gently. I'm done with topical creams and all that crap, it never worked for me. I am half white and half korean if that helps.

I know that the source of acne is the excess sebum getting clogged. Putting aside the myths and other shit people say, clogged pores is why pimples occur. Accutane suppressed the oil production, thus causing everything else to dry out in my body.

SO, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE NATURALLY I CAN TAKE THAT REDUCES THE OIL PRODUCTION? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WILL REDUCE MY ANDROGEN SPIKES(PUBERTY)? I AM HOPING THESE COME IN THE FORM OF FOOD/SUPPLEMENT.**

**Obviously these need to be internally taken. I have wizened up now, acne come from within to the outside. To cure it, i need to take something from within to clear up the outside, not the other way around. Accutane=proof

my dad had the gene and isn't interested in helping or cares as much as i do but whatever.

you should go to a doctor and get your hormones tested.

oh you're korean? that might be playing a bigger role in your acne than you think. my asian step siblings have acne and i've been told that their skin is different when it comes to oil production.

umm to slow down oil production you can buy seban pads. google it.

you can't do much about puberty. might as well wait it out.

Why were you pulled off accutane? Is there no way you can continue it due to a medical condition or something? If you can continue it, I think you should. Since you're still so young I guess it's the thing that would really work best..

SO, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE NATURALLY I CAN TAKE THAT REDUCES THE OIL PRODUCTION? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WILL REDUCE MY ANDROGEN SPIKES(PUBERTY)? I AM HOPING THESE COME IN THE FORM OF FOOD/SUPPLEMENT.**

Fewer carbs. High fat, low carb diets tend to work well for this. My skin is much better and less oily after doing this.

Fewer carbs. High fat, low carb diets tend to work well for this. My skin is much better and less oily after doing this.

This is working great for me too. Jonima, you might want to at least try cutting out grains and sugars for a couple weeks. If that helps you, take it to the next step and eliminate all starches and processed foods. This is what I've done and I'm still marveling at the difference in my skin.

Do you have stable blood sugar or do you tend to get really hungry and crash if you haven't eaten in a few hours? If your blood sugar is plummeting when you're hungry that's a good indicator that you need to be on a low glycemic diet (such as a high protein/fat, lower carb diet)... for your overall health, not just your skin.

It's also worth looking into the possibility that you have some specific food allergies and/or intolerances.

Well i use proactiv , and it helps alot...

It got me clear for a month.. then broke out.. >_<

but i still gonna keep using, if i stop using.. it will be bad.

But if i keep breaking out then i am done with proactiv!

wont use cream anymore. >_<

my dad had the gene and isn't interested in helping or cares as much as i do but whatever.

you should go to a doctor and get your hormones tested.

oh you're korean? that might be playing a bigger role in your acne than you think. my asian step siblings have acne and i've been told that their skin is different when it comes to oil production.

umm to slow down oil production you can buy seban pads. google it.

you can't do much about puberty. might as well wait it out.

thanks, it helps to know there are people out there who can feel empathy.

i'll definitely check out the sebum pads.

as for me being half korean, i thought that asians usually have clearer skin because of their healthy diets. Thats why i usually see my caucasian friends being the ones with acne. that's what i thought anyway.

Why were you pulled off accutane? Is there no way you can continue it due to a medical condition or something? If you can continue it, I think you should. Since you're still so young I guess it's the thing that would really work best..

THATS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. nothing else worked, and then tane suddenly cleared me up...in 3 months! but apparently the tane was giving me 'mood swings' as my mom put it. but i'll refer back to how she is a "bitch." she knows how to push my buttons, and accutane gave her an excuse for my anger. everyone is allowed to be angry, but since i was on accutane, it was a whole new thing for her!!! no health problems, i can easily go back on accutane. but my parents wont let me visit a derm. THey use my behavior as a device for my permission. They are tampering with my skin. uggh

Are you in puberty or are you an adult? Because i notice that no matter what i eat, it really shows little difference. I mainly have acne from puberty and my dad. But i'm sure it can't hurt.

This is working great for me too. Jonima, you might want to at least try cutting out grains and sugars for a couple weeks. If that helps you, take it to the next step and eliminate all starches and processed foods. This is what I've done and I'm still marveling at the difference in my skin.

Do you have stable blood sugar or do you tend to get really hungry and crash if you haven't eaten in a few hours? If your blood sugar is plummeting when you're hungry that's a good indicator that you need to be on a low glycemic diet (such as a high protein/fat, lower carb diet)... for your overall health, not just your skin.

It's also worth looking into the possibility that you have some specific food allergies and/or intolerances.

I am perfectly healthy...besides the acne. I have no food allergies nor low blood sugar. But i'll definitely try the low carb diet. That'll be hard though since i am in soccer and i am a teenage boy. i can't not eat. haha

if you decide to cut out dairy, which will help your skin, make sure to take a calcium supplement, calcium citrate is the most absorbable form.

calcium is very important for the regulation of hormones and cells, make sure you have enough and every once and a while take a little more then enough, but of course dont over dose and stay safe.

you should actually take calcium with magnesium, magnesium regulates serotonin and is a stress buffer, it will keep your mood straight, try natural calm magnesium citrate.

same goes for all vital nutrients that every process in your body depends on, you are bound by these laws of nature.

I am perfectly healthy...besides the acne. I have no food allergies nor low blood sugar. But i'll definitely try the low carb diet. That'll be hard though since i am in soccer and i am a teenage boy. i can't not eat. haha

I'm in puberty and this works to make it less oily... but if you are in soccer season or if you have practice for some sport now, I wouldn't really suggest cutting out carbs... maybe reduce carbs a little bit and choose low GI carbs over high GI carbs.

THATS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. nothing else worked, and then tane suddenly cleared me up...in 3 months! but apparently the tane was giving me 'mood swings' as my mom put it. but i'll refer back to how she is a "bitch." she knows how to push my buttons, and accutane gave her an excuse for my anger. everyone is allowed to be angry, but since i was on accutane, it was a whole new thing for her!!! no health problems, i can easily go back on accutane. but my parents wont let me visit a derm. THey use my behavior as a device for my permission. They are tampering with my skin. uggh

When I took accutane (around 6 years ago or so) I had no effects on my mood whatsoever. So I can't really relate to people that said so. I mean, I was too happy that my acne was healing quickly, how could I feel upset about it? It just doesn't make sense. If you truely felt mood swings, I guess you shouldn't take it. But if you didn't, I think you should stick to it. And just TRY not to fight with your Mom during that time. I mean, just make a thing of being completely controlled to show accutane isn't messing with your mind (coz I don't believe it does so much). Another thing, do you drink milk? The book "The Clear Skin Diet" says that a certain number of people who used Accutane get acne back. But the number is much lower for people who didn't drink milk.. I forgot the exact numbers but I can look it up.

When I took accutane (around 6 years ago or so) I had no effects on my mood whatsoever. So I can't really relate to people that said so. I mean, I was too happy that my acne was healing quickly, how could I feel upset about it? It just doesn't make sense. If you truely felt mood swings, I guess you shouldn't take it. But if you didn't, I think you should stick to it. And just TRY not to fight with your Mom during that time. I mean, just make a thing of being completely controlled to show accutane isn't messing with your mind (coz I don't believe it does so much). Another thing, do you drink milk? The book "The Clear Skin Diet" says that a certain number of people who used Accutane get acne back. But the number is much lower for people who didn't drink milk.. I forgot the exact numbers but I can look it up.

I drink milk. Just like any other person, not too much, but i drink the amount i am supposed to. I don't binge milk though. Not everyone has the same side effects. Although my skin was clearing up, my moods were still getting affected. I was consciously happy with my skin. But the pill can control people's emotions. It is very potent, used as a last resort.

Don't think that your results are everyone else's.

I drink milk. Just like any other person, not too much, but i drink the amount i am supposed to.

Well, I don't drink milk, as it has been linked to acne, so I just play it safe.

And what is the amount of milk you are "supposed to" have? Who set that level?

as for me being half korean, i thought that asians usually have clearer skin because of their healthy diets.

The Koreans that i know (I'm talking about the recently immigrated ones or the visa students in Toronto) don't consume dairy anywhere close to as much as the average Westerner (i.e. they don't drink the amount they are "supposed" to). They're not as fanatic about hard cheeses either. There's some butter and/or cream in their pastries. But, there's no dairy in their cooking and it's not a staple.

The Koreans i do see with acne are ones taking "life sciences" courses at Univ. of Toronto (probably a lot of stress) and some of the Koreans that were born here.

you seem to be growing very impatient. that's not good.

impatient people on these forums who are jumping from one product to another always seem to have more difficulty with this matter. it's easier said than done, but you should try and accept acne and it's benefits too, or be a little more optimistic.

it may just be genetics, you might jsut outgrow it like me.

no one else will offer the advice of patience, so i thought i should

I drink milk. Just like any other person, not too much, but i drink the amount i am supposed to.

Well, I don't drink milk, as it has been linked to acne, so I just play it safe.

And what is the amount of milk you are "supposed to" have? Who set that level?

The 3-dairy a day? so i would say about 18 ounces a day. The government probably set this.

Should i just take calcium citrate?

as for me being half korean, i thought that asians usually have clearer skin because of their healthy diets.

The Koreans that i know (I'm talking about the recently immigrated ones or the visa students in Toronto) don't consume dairy anywhere close to as much as the average Westerner (i.e. they don't drink the amount they are "supposed" to). They're not as fanatic about hard cheeses either. There's some butter and/or cream in their pastries. But, there's no dairy in their cooking and it's not a staple.

The Koreans i do see with acne are ones taking "life sciences" courses at Univ. of Toronto (probably a lot of stress) and some of the Koreans that were born here.

yes, stress is blind to culture and race. everyone is vulnerable.

however i doubt that my korean background had nothing to contribute toward my acne. My mother (born in s. korea) and her whole family had clear skin throughout their lives. She grew up very poorly, eating only rations of rice, dumplings, and anything they could get their hands on.

you seem to be growing very impatient. that's not good.

impatient people on these forums who are jumping from one product to another always seem to have more difficulty with this matter. it's easier said than done, but you should try and accept acne and it's benefits too, or be a little more optimistic.

it may just be genetics, you might jsut outgrow it like me.

no one else will offer the advice of patience, so i thought i should

thank you, i kind of needed a reality check. But I don't know if impatient would describe me perfectly, but yes. I guess i am a little impatient, seeing as how i can easily achieve clear skin once again if my parents allow me back on accutane. But i dont jump from product to product, i jump from natural and holistic method to natural and holistic method. I dont overload my body with chemicals.

No matter what the source is that causes the excess sebum (genetics, stress, puberty, diet, etc.), i will not accept it. I will not. ACNE IS MY ENEMY. yet my face allows them to stay however long they please.

As i try to remain optimistic, thanks to 'I Am Snow', what benefits could come about from acne?

however i doubt that my korean background had nothing to contribute toward my acne. My mother (born in s. korea) and her whole family had clear skin throughout their lives. She grew up very poorly, eating only rations of rice, dumplings, and anything they could get their hands on.

I'm guessing they went through the hardships of post-war life?

Of course, i don't know just how much they couldn't eat, but caloric restriction works to clear up acne for some people. And i'm sure dairy wasn't in any of their rations.

Man, this seems like an awkward reply, but i'm gonna hit "add reply" anyway.

I'm guessing they went through the hardships of post-war life?

Of course, i don't know just how much they couldn't eat, but caloric restriction works to clear up acne for some people. And i'm sure dairy wasn't in any of their rations.

Man, this seems like an awkward reply, but i'm gonna hit "add reply" anyway.

hey man, anything that is positive for contribution! I don't know about my grandma, whom i have never met, but my mom wasnt alive during the korean war. they just lived poorly, as an average korean villager in Inch'on, a city near Seoul. This really isnt relevant, i was just pointing out my culture, aka skin (melanin factor anyone? heritage diet factor?). once again, really not relevant.

thanks

Ahh.. well, you had me confused with the word "rations". And i assumed you were talking about 5 to 10 years after the war. But, that doesn't matter... What matters is getting rid of acne!

My only suggestion is play around with your diet and find what foods you're intolerant to. There are tons of people here that break out from dairy (myself included). You can try cutting it out of your diet for a few weeks to see if that helps. Try to be strict with it though (e.g. read all labels).

Have you tried taking supplements? I found that flaxseed oil, vitamin c, and zinc really helped my skin. I could have been one or all three, I'm not sure since I started them around the same time, but they're all good for you anyway. And as far as the mood thing goes, in high dose vitamin c acts as a natural tranquilizer, unlike Accutane which can (for me anyway) cause all sorts of mental/mood problems. Now that I'm on Accutane I've started slacking a little, but I was taking one flaxseed capsule with every meal, 1000mg vitamin c three times a day, and 50mg of zinc. My skin was pretty much clear by the time I went on Accutane thanks to all of that. And best of all, no dermatologist required! Of course what works for one person may not work for the next, but it's worth a try. Not an overnight cure, but I noticed definite results within a month. Good luck, I hope you find something that works!

I was taking one flaxseed capsule with every meal, 1000mg vitamin c three times a day, and 50mg of zinc. My skin was pretty much clear by the time I went on Accutane thanks to all of that.

If you were pretty much clear by then, why did you bother with the Accutane?