Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dipoliotic

A diet everyone can do.

Heya.

I dont know why but I am keeping my healing of acne secret, I dont want my parents to know that I hate my skin.

What would you recomend me to eat in the Average household kitchen and what not to eat?

Please dont say stuff like , "wild organic brazialian herbic Nuts" as I dont think i will have that in my kitchen :D

thanks

Dipo!

I haven't seen many posts here suggesting that you eat exotic things. Basically, as most threads here advise, start eating real nutrient dense foods, cut the sugary drinks and processed foods, and try avoiding common allergens/intollerant foods such as dairy, wheat, eggs, citrus.

Do you have real food in your kitchen?

I second the suggestions mentioned above. Do a search for glycemic index and glycemic load. Avoid foods that have high glycemic index and load. These foods include sugary drinks (even fruit juice), breads, sweets, cereals, certain fruits (bananas), and other overconsumed foods. Avoid all dairy. You might have to avoid certain nuts and legumes. For me, peanuts break me out, so I avoid them in any form. A little peanut is ok, such as in a Thai dish. Eat fruits (not too much at one sitting since this will result in a high glycemic load), meat, veggies, and plenty of water. Another important thing is to have at least one bowel movement per day.

haha, Hopefully i have real food :D

What I am eating / Drinking at the moment.

-Apples, oranges, grapes

-Lettuce and spinach

-filltered water

- Meals I eat what I am given. Chicken, potato, carrots

I ate sweets the other night and guess what, spots have started attacking again :D

So I am eating no Chocolate and sweets and other stuff i believe has loads of sugars.

Anything else you recommend to eat/not eat?

You can't go wrong on cutting down on processed sugars like soda and candy, drinking more water, and cutting back on really fatty foods.

Try cutting out the oranges and grapes too. Grapes are pretty much little balls of sugar.

So only apples as fruit as I have red somewhere that bananas are bad aswell.

I am starving now. What would you recommend to snack on? Can i make beans on toast?

So only apples as fruit as I have red somewhere that bananas are bad aswell.

I am starving now. What would you recommend to snack on? Can i make beans on toast?

There are many fruits you can eat as snacks. Grapes are fine, just don't overindulge because of the glycemic load. Have a small bowl full. I eat apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, peaches, plums. The key is to not eat too much of these at one sitting because the sugars start to add up creating an insulin response. I'll eat one apple for a snack, then if I want some more fruit, I'll wait at least an hour.

Definitely avoid rice, pastas, bread, and potatos as these foods have high glycemic index values and will cause a spike in your blood sugar resulting in a high insulin response. This is very hard because these foods are so delicious and convenient.

Eat your veggies (pretty much anything you want), have some meat (chicken and fish primarily as red-meat may give you problems due to the acidity, but small amounts should be fine), eat some fruits in between, and drink plenty of water and you'll be fine.

You'll have to experiment to see what works. For some people eggs cause acne and for others it's oranges. The key is to eliminate the known triggers for acne such as dairy and high-glycemic foods and experiment with the rest, such as nuts, eggs, and whatever else.

Honestly, having to restrict one's diet sucks, but the alternative sucks even more. This definitely works if you're dligent and strict. You'll see less significant results if you snack on the bad foods every now and then.

I am seriously hungry now. I went down stairs and looked at what I could eat.

Crisps - No

Cereal Bar - No

Ham and Cheese Sandwich - No ( Due to white bread and Cheese)

Beans on Toast - No ( Due to white bread )

Yogurt - No ( Dairy Product )

Ate 1 apple - Still Starving

What would you recommend to snack on? Can i make beans on toast?

If you mean canned baked beans, then no. that would be one of the processed foods you need to cut out.

As for the toast, that depends on the quality of the toast, how many other high GI carbs you eat and how strict you need to be. The last part of that sentence also applies to some of the other foods posts above have advised you to avoid like grapes and bananas. If you don't eat/drink other sugars, then you can probably have them.

You can, however, make beans by soaking dry beans overnight and then boiling. Without sugar as in baked beans. Try a lot of garlic and an adequate amount of salt. Then why not try having them with rice or other grain the way most of the other cultures in the world eat them. Make a pot to have on hand at all times. However, many people have trouble digesting them and if you do, you need to avoid them. Soaking them longer can help with that.

And my favorite snack is sweet potatoes. I either slice and bake or boil or steam and mash. Then have them sprinkled with cinnamon for breakfast or with olive oil and sprinkled with a whole lot of herbs and spices. Like cajun seasoning so it tastes like seasoned French fries or Italian herbs so it's like the olive oil dipping sauce you get at Italian restautants. Another snack is red, orange or yellow bell peppers slices with hummus or maybe goat cheese. You have the peppers in place of crackers, bread or crisps.

You can also eat leftovers from your meals for snacks.

Crisps - No

Cereal Bar - No

Doesn't sound like you have much real food in your kitchen. I'm not recommending ham as deli meats have a lot of additives, but it is possible to have slices of things without sticking them into a sandwich you know.

Also, you might not have to avoid dairy as not everyone has a problem with it. I don't. If I were you I'd go ahead and have the yogurt while you start with cutting out the real junk. At least until you get some real food and learn new habits. You really can't avoid everything at once without planning first. If you want to try avoiding everything at once, then you should look at the list of hypoallergenic foods and plan meals around those, then do your shopping. It's posted in the food and recipe resource thread posted in the top.

Thanks very much for your replys guys.

I will keep you posted, as I know I am going to need alot more help with what not to eat :D

Bad new:( just got 2 more spots that stay under your skin on my nose and they are super red. So i am willing to try anything now.

Im also trying to cut out the rubbish from my diet. I still eat alot of chocolate though, I can't help myself seriously because i recently got alot after my last day at school and its in the fridge and i keep going there and eating it :a

I might try having something else apart from cereal for breakfast. Other than that i haven't done much, before i was eating like no fruit, now i try and eat alot more, at least 2 pieces as snacks per day, i eat clementines as they have vitamin c and i try and eat apples aswell. Regarding meals, i make my own lunch in the school holidays so ill try make healthy stuff, but in the evening i try and take extra vegetables and I return to the kitchen and snack on the leftover veggies :P Just little things like that and i also drink more water. I havent really changed much drastically though.

Just don't stress out too much about what to eat and what not to eat. That would probably give you more acne than eating something 'bad'.

Anyway, I my suggestion to you is to try cutting down on junk food first, sugar, and grains. but for the most part, don't limit yourself too much. What I've learned with my strict diet (before) is too let yourself have some indulgences as well. Just to keep you from going crazy.

Wtf pasta, bread, potato are bad?

That cant be. I think i will die if i cut them out.

I am not saying they are "bad" in terms of health, but lowering my carbs has improved my skin more (+ made it less oily) than anything and it seems to be a trend of low-carb dieters or people on ketosis, although there are always exceptions.

So, if we should be going by that... why do people often experience success when they pretty much flip that upside down?

That wasn't created for acne... not sure why you are even answering advice questions when you have no experience with this.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So basically by your logic, the top things people should eat are red meats, refined grains, potatoes, sugar drinks, sweets and salt? Followed by lots of dairy, then the nuts/fish/poultry, then less veggies, healthy fats, and whole grains and exercise very little or not at all?? Because that's what happens if you flip that upside down.

If you're referring to actually flipping the shape of the pyramid so the pointy end is at the bottom...then it doesn't change a thing on it...just the order you read it.

That pyramid does a pretty good job at showing a healthy way to eating and eating according to it will most likely help acne if it's caused by poor diet.

Wow. Maybe YOU shouldn't be answering because it doesn't seem like YOU know what you're talking about or have much experience with it. The least you could have done was try to be polite and in the end, there seems to be little logic to your post.

As far as what to eat in your own kitchen? Well, have you tried telling your mom and dad you want to eat healthy for health's sake? They don't have to know it's acne related, because a lot of stuff in the common kitchen will be awful for you. Eat whole grain, slow cooked oatmeal, veggies and stuff like that. Ask your parents to buy some whole grain bread and drink nothing but water, or perhaps decaf green tea. If you're parents are like most households, you're probably not going to have many options unless you ask for specific, healthier items. Either that, or you'll be going hungry a lot.

Crisps - No

Cereal Bar - No

Ate 1 apple - Still Starving

As said before you could always try having the yogurt, I wouldn't expect it would really be too bad. If you are starving you should probably have a meal?

Definitely avoid rice, pastas, bread, and potatos as these foods have high glycemic index values and will cause a spike in your blood sugar resulting in a high insulin response. This is very hard because these foods are so delicious and convenient.

Actually, it's the GI of the whole meal that matters. You can have some rice, potatoes and pasta as long as they are with nutrient dense, fiber, protein and fat containing foods.

Guys. Can I ask how bread is bad for you?

Without bread I dont think I can eat as I have it in nearly all my snacks :D

Just had a White Pitta Bread with one slice of waitrose ham and the rest filled up with lettuce. This good?

Guys. Can I ask how bread is bad for you?

Without bread I dont think I can eat as I have it in nearly all my snacks :D

Just had a White Pitta Bread with one slice of waitrose ham and the rest filled up with lettuce. This good?

Not all bread is bad for you. The bread least likely to cause a breakout is whole grain bread. Why? Because other brains contain a lot of wheat flour which has gluten in it. It has high starch, which has a lot of glucose enzymes in it. Basically, when you eat foods with a high glycemic index, like white bread, it has a tendency to turn to glucose in your blood stream. That glucose is carried throughout your body, including to your skin. This has been known to contribute to severity of acne.

That's why it contributes to acne. Try switching to 100% whole grain bread. I think it has a glycemic index of around 51, which is considered low. It won't cause as much glucose in your bloodstream and I personally find that it tastes better, fills you up longer, and doesn't leave you craving more carbs and sugar. That's just me, though.

Not all bread is bad for you. The bread least likely to cause a breakout is whole grain bread. Why? Because other brains contain a lot of wheat flour which has gluten in it. It has high starch, which has a lot of glucose enzymes in it. Basically, when you eat foods with a high glycemic index, like white bread, it has a tendency to turn to glucose in your blood stream. That glucose is carried throughout your body, including to your skin. This has been known to contribute to severity of acne.

That's why it contributes to acne. Try switching to 100% whole grain bread. I think it has a glycemic index of around 51, which is considered low. It won't cause as much glucose in your bloodstream and I personally find that it tastes better, fills you up longer, and doesn't leave you craving more carbs and sugar. That's just me, though.

Whole grain bread has gluten as well as white bread. The type of grain and not how refined it is determines if it contains gluten or not.

Glucose is not an enzyme it a sugar.

Whole wheat and white bread generally both have a high glycemic index. White bread has a GI of 100, whole wheat bread has a GI of 97.

The glucose itself has nothing to with acne. It's the hormonal effects of a chronic high glycemic load that has been linked to acne.

Modern whole grain bread is less healthy than white bread. Whole grains need to be properly processed by fermentation to unlock the nutrients they carry.

Generally speaking, bread is bad and should be avoided.