Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CatlinPM

I finally found something that works!

Hello all! I haven't really ever posted here before but I've cruised the acne.org message boards many times in search of more "cures" to try for my acne. I've had acne since I was 12 and am now almost 24 so almost half of my life has been affected by acne. I have what would be considered moderate acne right now but it has been more severe in the past. I have blackheads, whiteheads, papules and pustules, and like most of you have tried everything. Pretty much any OTC product out there as well as many many prescription products and changing dermatologists alot trying to find somebody or something that could help. I have even been on Accutane which did work for me, but the side effects were less than appealing and the results were definitely not long lasting for me. I finally found something that is working for me and wanted to share it with everyone in case it may help someone else. I actually got my regimen from a book called "The acne cure" which I'm sure alot of you have heard of. Mine is slightly modified to suit my needs, but it seems to be working for me! Here is the routine.

Morning: Simply wash face and moisturize. ( I haven't built up to 2x a day yet as my skin is really sensitive, and once daily seems to be working so why mess with a good thing)

Evening:

1. Wash with salicylic acid wash, I have been using wal-marts version of the neutrogena oil free acne wash.

2. Rub an ice cube over your entire face until most of the ice cube is melted and your face is sufficiently chilled (warning: you can damage your skin if you get it too cold so don't overdo it)

3. Pat dry and quickly apply BP lotion, let absorb (I just use a 10% BP lotion)

4. Apply AmLactin Lotion and let absorb (this has 12% lactic acid)

5. Apply Cetaphil moisturizing cream (I use wal-mart brand, and for me this step in imperative or my skin would be dry and red and unhappy)

Also, once a week i have been using "mudd facial masque" which contains bentonite clay and works really well on blackheads and deep cleaning pores.

It's been about 4 weeks and my acne is almost gone. I still have some blackheads and whiteheads but no active red inflamed acne. My skin is extremely soft and smooth and looks noticably more even toned and not as red and blotchy. Many of my scars also appear to be improving. I didn't tell my husband that I was trying something new and he noticed the improvement in my skin after using this regimen for about 2 weeks and commented how good I looked. Anyway, I know this won't work for everyone but I wanted to post it so that anybody who wanted to try it could.

This really gives me hope! Thanks for posting. I like how you've used generic brands! I've been pouring over this site trying to figure out what I want to do. Just don't want to waste anymore money on products. Been spending way too much money on DHC Salycilic Acne Wash. This acne set helped in the first month but not it doesn't seem any better.

I think I will go ahead and do the BP 5% and find some type of AHA for spot treatment, then use the cetaphil cream at night. I love cetaphil cream. Originally got this for eczema. But one night I said the heck w/ it, I'm slathering it on my face. Woke up w/ my face not looking remotely oily!

What do you moisturize with in the AM? Do you use SPF? I've been using DML Daily Facial Moisturizer w/ 25 SPF. Been thinking about checking out Cetaphils Daily SPF but haven't gone to store.

In the morning I use Oil of Olay daily moisturizing lotion with SPF 15, actually I use the wal-mart brand of this too. I definitely have to agree about the cetaphil moisturizing cream. I originally bought it to use on my 2 1/2 year old sons eczema and it was the only thing that worked for him. I tried it on my face once after overdoing it with an at home glycolic peel and have been using it ever since. It keeps my skin from getting red and peeling when using the BP, I'd be lost without it!

I know it's alot of stuff isn't it! I remember when I was probably 16 and I was using both BP and Salicylic acid lotion and the derm that I went to at the time said, "why would you do that!" Man if I just hadn't listened to the derm and experimented on my own more, I might have hit upon my magic combo alot sooner!