Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's the story:

I have this really odd skin combination that's a pain in the arse to keep even along with my sensitive skin. It's really dry and flakey...but oily as well. So for a long time I tried using cleansers for normal to oily skin and then using a moisturizer afterwards....but /every single/ moisturizer I've used in the past has proken me out, even ones as simple as all natural aloe vera cream. No matter what, I would almost instantly break out with these little bumps all over my face, even in areas that didn't usually break out.

Clearly, this was a problem....so then I decided to get out of moisturizers completely and simply washed my face twice a day and tried to forget about it. It got really dry when I paired it with little bits of hydrogen peroxide here and there, but I was willing to deal with the flakiness to have skin that was becoming so clear and less red. I was pumped...my face was finally healing!

Well, then I heard about Cetaphil having a really nice moistuizer that was non-comedogenic (I already use their gentle cleanser), and I picked it up today. It doesn't seem to be breaking me out, so that's good sign number one...however, it also did it's job in moisturizing my skin and now that all the white flakes are gone, I see the truth of how my face looks. It wasn't clearing up or becoming less red at all, the dried skin only was making it seem that way. I don't know whether to be thankful that I found a good moisturizer or to break down into tears that my face is still as unattractive as ever after I built myself up to being so happy that I was actually looking good, finally. I just feel as if I'm being shot down for being truly satisfied with my face for once. The left side of my face is just completely....red and bumpy...it's truly ravaged right now and looking at it now without all the dried skin hiding it makes me see that it will actually scar in that area fairly badly...I've had some minor scarring in the past - little itty bitty holes that don't even truly bother my critical eyes, but these...oh, these will be bad. It looks like I've got an odd disease, and it hurts to think that about myself, because I know it's unhealthy and I hate it.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Will the moisturizer eventually also help with the healing process? I've heard that having skin that is too dry will actually irritate your skin and the acne/redness more, but I don't know if fixing the problem will really fix my problem...at least my make-up will look better when I apply it now.

One bit of optimism will have to do for now.

Here's the story:

I have this really odd skin combination that's a pain in the arse to keep even along with my sensitive skin. It's really dry and flakey...but oily as well. So for a long time I tried using cleansers for normal to oily skin and then using a moisturizer afterwards....but /every single/ moisturizer I've used in the past has proken me out, even ones as simple as all natural aloe vera cream. No matter what, I would almost instantly break out with these little bumps all over my face, even in areas that didn't usually break out.

Clearly, this was a problem....so then I decided to get out of moisturizers completely and simply washed my face twice a day and tried to forget about it. It got really dry when I paired it with little bits of hydrogen peroxide here and there, but I was willing to deal with the flakiness to have skin that was becoming so clear and less red. I was pumped...my face was finally healing!

Well, then I heard about Cetaphil having a really nice moistuizer that was non-comedogenic (I already use their gentle cleanser), and I picked it up today. It doesn't seem to be breaking me out, so that's good sign number one...however, it also did it's job in moisturizing my skin and now that all the white flakes are gone, I see the truth of how my face looks. It wasn't clearing up or becoming less red at all, the dried skin only was making it seem that way. I don't know whether to be thankful that I found a good moisturizer or to break down into tears that my face is still as unattractive as ever after I built myself up to being so happy that I was actually looking good, finally. I just feel as if I'm being shot down for being truly satisfied with my face for once. The left side of my face is just completely....red and bumpy...it's truly ravaged right now and looking at it now without all the dried skin hiding it makes me see that it will actually scar in that area fairly badly...I've had some minor scarring in the past - little itty bitty holes that don't even truly bother my critical eyes, but these...oh, these will be bad. It looks like I've got an odd disease, and it hurts to think that about myself, because I know it's unhealthy and I hate it.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Will the moisturizer eventually also help with the healing process? I've heard that having skin that is too dry will actually irritate your skin and the acne/redness more, but I don't know if fixing the problem will really fix my problem...at least my make-up will look better when I apply it know.

One bit of optimism will have to do for now.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but I think you should be glad to have a moisturizer that works for you. Personally, I used to not moisturize, and because of it I just used very little BP..my skin never really improved, and it was usually dry. Using the moisturizer has definitely helped in the healing process for me.

The only time acne has 'hidden' from me is between the time I apply BP and moisturizer. I have some enlarged pores, and the BP seems to swell my skin a bit and the pores seem to shrink/disappear until I apply moisturizer.

Just try to persevere and use your new moisturizer in your regimen. Not having your skin dry all the time should help keep your face calm.