Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acdc1

Missing School Because of Acne??

I have a close friend whose acne is a lot worse than mine. She had medicine that cleared it up really well, but stopped using it, and WHAM! she broke out again. Well, she was so embarrassed about it that she left school yesterday. I know, I know, she was self-consious about it, but it's very mild acne anyway. Leaving school because of a breakout ranks up there with leaving because of a headache, or skipping on P.E. because of PMS (which I've been using since sixth grade, despite the fact that I didn't even get my period until 8th, so it's kind of hypocritical.) But does anyone else agree, or disagree?

It is silly, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong. At least not in a high school setting. I know I never missed anything important when I left because of a headache or got out of gym for feminine reasons...but I never thought of leaving for acne before...hmm! Now that college is here, though, things are a bit different; I don't think I would want to miss a class for reasons like that, and plus - in high school things were much more critical and judgemental.

I skipped history ONCE because I broke out really bad and it hurt, I lied that I had a headache and went home. Other then that I never skip because of acne, because a good education is IMPORTANT.

LEARNING IS POWER!

Skip school because of acne? My parents would never have let me do such a thing.

However, I have gotten out of gym AND gone home early from school for severe PMS symptoms, so please don't compare it with that. For minor symptoms...yeah, but my stomach was so cramped, my head so clouded and throbbing that I couldn't focus or function in a gym or class setting anyhow. So, naturally, after being doubled over in pain, I left.

I've also missed classes in college because of the same reason.

But acne? no. I'm not that superficial.

Zits dont heal over night, so if she were to leave class because of that, she would have to miss the whole week, cause thats how long it would take for it to go down, for me at least.

But i've never missed class because of it, i've felt hella ugly in class a couple of times because of my acne but never skipped. I wouldnt want to miss out on the lecture and then be a day behind on work simply because i was worried about the way my face looked.

i missed a day of class because my skin was so bad. but i'm in college so its not like i was missing 7-8 classes. I think i missed 3. i woke up with every intention of going to class... but my skin was SO raw and inflamed, makeup wouldnt stick to it. so i stayed home, let my skin heal a bit, and it was more manageable the next day. plus it gave me time to calm down. BUT i made sure i wasnt going to miss much before i made that decision. i definitely weighted the pros and cons. hahaha if you could see my skin that day... you wouldnt blame me!! it looked like i was burned with acid.. i had to take tylenol because it hurt so bad. but i have never stayed home over a typical breakout.

Well, I had some of the worst breakouts ever in high school and I also did not have the highest self esteem. I had some pretty crappy friends surrounding me. When I would have a bad breakout my friends would ask, "What the hell is that on your face?" or "Look at all those pimples on your face!" I would just feel really crappy, so I would skip classes or just not go to school completely. This was back when my mom couldn't afford hot water, so I couldn't even take a shower when I wanted to! I had to go over friends or family members , and ask them if I could take a shower. Imagine how embarrassing that is. I felt filthy most of the time (Imagine P.E. class for me :naughty:) , and my friends really didn't help me feel any better about myself. It's not there job of course, but you never truly know what's going on in a persons head unless you've been down that path or road they have been down, you know? It may seem stupid to skip a class or not go to school entirely because of a breakout (Especially around other teenagers), but there also could be other reasons behind it. Skipping school definitely isn't that answer and isn't going to really solve all of your problems, but there are usually some bigger underlying issues behind it is all I'm saying. I know there certainly were for me.

Well it depends on how much it affects an individual. It's different for everyone; I don't think there can be a general statement made such as "No one should miss school, just because of acne."

I've never done it myself, but for some people it can really take a toll on them.

And understandably so.

i did once on one of my most severe breakouts. it seems my worst breakouts always come friday night and are alot better by monday morning, otherwise i woulda missed probably alot more school haha. I dont really agree with missing school though i feel ashamed when i do it, just as ashamed as when i wear a hood to hide acne in public

Very ashamed to admit this, but yes, I have skipped school countless of times during Junior High and High School. I was an outcast at the time and whenever I had a crappy skin day I reached my limit of how much I could endure being around people. In HS the students were allowed to be abscent 5h/course without giving any explanation, so almost everyone skipped class once in a while.

I have missed 3 months straight of school,I beat all of you guys :confused:

I was a bad girl back in high school and skipped, but not because of acne. There's no way I'll miss college classes. There's just too much info to keep up with and my professors are always throwing out surprise ways to make extra credit.

I've skipped school quite a few times because of acne (I'm in high school).

Well it wasn't so much 'acne'...it was more like... I was too tired/disgusted with myself to face the mirror and attempt to layer on makeup to cover up that acne, only to look like a mess all day long.

Nope, and likely I never will. This year alone I've only missed two half-days (one of which being today), and both times I really didn't want to despite the fact I missed them because of crippling pains. I hate doing the make-up work even if it's extremely minor in retrospect. :confused:

Still, I wouldn't. Sure, I'd feel crappy and self-conscious, but I'll just layer some make-up over it, put my hair down and be myself. I usually forget it throughout the school day anyway, and only realize how crappy I look when I get home. :P My friends don't care/don't say anything, though, and I love 'em for it--no one else says anything, either.

The first day of college i had the biggest cyst ever and i was debating whether or not to go. I eventually ended up going and what does my damn teacher do. Tells everyone to go one at a time to the front of the class to introduce themselves. What a freaking start?!!

I've gone in late because I can't get makeup to function properly. But other than that, I haven't gone home/missed a day of school because of it. I have decided not to do things that are non school related because of acne, though. I just broke out with a big one today and I'm debating whether or not I should be thinking of an excuse in order to go in late :/

My best friend is currently dealing with what she considers a bad breakout, I don't think its terribly bad, and besides she doesn't necessarily look bad with acne, unlike myself. I will have one pimple and I will look a lot worse than she does with like 20. But anyways, she missed school today because of it. I'm not sure if I entirely agree with the decision but having been in her shoes before, I know what its like.

i would never skip school because of acne, but i used to skip in middle school for severe "stomach" cramps ;) i usually waited for the unimportant classes anyways lol

To be honest I've never even considered skipping school. Good idea though (-: Ever tried learning French with a prick shouting 'spot' every time you open your mouth?

I have a close friend whose acne is a lot worse than mine. She had medicine that cleared it up really well, but stopped using it, and WHAM! she broke out again. Well, she was so embarrassed about it that she left school yesterday. I know, I know, she was self-consious about it, but it's very mild acne anyway. Leaving school because of a breakout ranks up there with leaving because of a headache, or skipping on P.E. because of PMS (which I've been using since sixth grade, despite the fact that I didn't even get my period until 8th, so it's kind of hypocritical.) But does anyone else agree, or disagree?

I skipped so much that I got dropped out of Hs & had to take my GED

Me too. Not because I was superficial, but because the self-conscious feelings would be strong it would drain all of my energy and make it impossible to concentrate on school. I have since gone on accutane, started college, and have made almost a full recovery three years later, both physically and mentally. But it has taught me to never judge other people for anything, both good and bad. We all have struggles, no one should be judged if their struggle starts to wear them down.

Me too. Not because I was superficial, but because the self-conscious feelings would be strong it would drain all of my energy and make it impossible to concentrate on school. I have since gone on accutane, started college, and have made almost a full recovery three years later, both physically and mentally. But it has taught me to never judge other people for anything, both good and bad. We all have struggles, no one should be judged if their struggle starts to wear them down.

I understand. Depression and anxiety can make it extremely difficult to concentrate on school/work. I'm happy to read of your recovery, though.

Wow i thought i was the only one, I got acne at 17 real bad (im 18 now) and i dropped out of highschool offically after missing WEEKS at a time because i hated how i looked. My school just happened to be the richest and most superficial school in my town and i felt gross and not wanting to be in the limelight at all (and it sucked because i was in all the video classes i could be in and was required to make movies with me in em) so i dropped out and stay inside like 24/7 waiting to finish this accutane im on. My only fear is it will come back when i move to LA and go to film school.

i skipped school many times, and eventually became a dropout because of it.

my parents never supported me, they even wanted to force me to go to school, i didnt care what they were going to do to get me to school, back in that day i was so insecure, that i didnt care about anything anymore, the only thing i wanted to do was hide.

thinking back, i was so silly those days, its not right to skip school because of acne.

you can either face your fear, or hide for it. i always chose the easy choice: hiding.

I miss a day here and there because of acne, and as long as it doesn't become a real problem I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people are more deeply affected than others by having to deal with acne all the time, and I don't think it's our place to judge them for that.

I, too, have missed school days for acne. However, tomorrow is my LAST DAY EVER! I'm graduating soon. ;_;

But yeah. I have had days where I stayed home to 'work' on stuff for school, or because I felt 'sick', and other times I would get my mom to check me out of school because I would realize how ugly I looked and I would have a sort of mini-anxiety attack. When I get self-conscious I can barely even function. It's bad. I get very quiet and refuse to talk to people. I feel nauseous and dizzy. I cry easily. So yeah, it's usually better for me to just go home.

But this summer I'll have to work, and I know I won't be able to get out of work just because I break out extra badly. :( I don't know what I'm going to do.

Skip school because of acne? My parents would never have let me do such a thing.

However, I have gotten out of gym AND gone home early from school for severe PMS symptoms, so please don't compare it with that. For minor symptoms...yeah, but my stomach was so cramped, my head so clouded and throbbing that I couldn't focus or function in a gym or class setting anyhow. So, naturally, after being doubled over in pain, I left.

I've also missed classes in college because of the same reason.

But acne? no. I'm not that superficial.

la di da aint we special. Sorry we superficial cretins, specifically those who've had to deal with severe cystic breakouts, have had skipped classes of both highschool and college. At points when the sun would make your skin crawl in pain and your face leak fluids from the accutane IB, I'd reconsider your assessment of us superficial people.