Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kypop

Can I use Doxy for long term acne treatment?

Can I use Doxycycline for long term acne treatment? I went to dermo yesterday. He gave me a prescription of WW112(Doxycycline), steroid as short term treatment(only 5days), and Qualitest Benzoyl Peroxide 5%. I'm just worried about that doxycycline is kinda antibiotics.

Can I use Doxycycline for long term acne treatment? I went to dermo yesterday. He gave me a prescription of WW112(Doxycycline), steroid as short term treatment(only 5days), and Qualitest Benzoyl Peroxide 5%. I'm just worried about that doxycycline is kinda antibiotics.

Anyone?

This is more of a personal decision than anything. Yes it is safe to take antibiotics long term. However, they can begin to cause serious health concerns such as liver problems and intestinal problems after being on them for an extended period, such as 5+ years. I have been taking antibiotics for over a year and the biggest problems that I experience are intestinal. Taking a probiotic or eating yogurt can lessen the intestinal problems. Also, taking antibitiotics for extended periods can lead to bacterial resistance to the specific antibiotic. Personally I wouldn't too much about the negatives if antibiotics work well for you where nothing else does. So to make a long answer short, yes it is safe to take doxycycline long term.

You can use this drug for as long as you like, but I will suggest you to slowly come out of it once you notice that it is not working for you anymore. Personally I would have prefer to stay on this drug but I notice that whenever I was on this drug I get pretty sensitive skin for no reason and I am sure it is not photodermatitis because I was not even under the sun.

well it's not just kind of antibiotics, doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic. In fact, tetracyclines have been shown to be amongst the most powerful antibiotics. As others have said, there are risks and you have to decide if the risks are worth the benefits. this is something you should talk to your doctor about...

I used doxycycline for about 1 year. I have 2 derm and they both say it is safe to take it for long term.