Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lace and leather

Ready for my Closeup

So I am starting Accutane hopefully this week !!! (I still have to wait for the results of the blood work I took). I am starting a log after reading all the experiences of other people on this site. It seems like the majority of posters are finishing up/ or almost finishing up their course, so it will be cool to have the "next wave" of Accutane Adventurers!

some history:

i would OCCASIONALLY break out in highschool, but nothing to stress about. i started breaking out more frequently during college, so I used Differin 0.1 gel for a year and had near-flawless skin. Unfortunately i thought i didn't need it anymore and stopped. I started breaking out bad then I tried Murad (worst mistake everrrrrr!!!). I went back to the dermatologist who gave me Retin-A-micro, which was alright but was unpredictable (even after using for a year). I wanted something more reliable so I tried birthcontrol (OTC) which gave me horrible cysts (for the first time ever) like the 2nd week in. Plus I had other side effects I just didn't enjoy.

Now during all these treatments I kinda hinted to my dermatologist for Accutane, but I myself was a little scared of the dreaded side effects. But he always had another cream/antibiotic to try.

When each didn't work, I suggested Accutane and he agreed!

So i am excited but apprehensive. Mainly about the IB, because I scar VERY easily, and I am scared I will break out in cysts

hey lace and leather- I am 22 and I will be starting accutane in about a month (still have to pass my second pregnancy test). I too am afraid of all the side effects ...

But you have to remember this could be the last thing you have to take. No more antibiotics, no more retnoids...! Thats a huge reason to be excited!!

To prevent scars try not to touch your skin.

Good Luck, and I will be about four weeks behind you so I will be looking to your log for support :)

I know pictures are the best way to track progress so I took some of my troubled areas. My breakouts 95% of the time are on my cheeks. I mean sometimes they migrate elsewhere on my face, but those heal really quickly.

My right cheek:

post-90451-1229457150_thumb.jpg

My left cheek:

post-90451-1229457219_thumb.jpg

This is a low quality camera. so it really is more inflamed/red than it appears. My main problem is scarring, clogged pores, and random biggggg ones that pop up in times of stress/when i abuse my body :shifty:

OH and currently i am using an antibiotic and a retinoid

post-90451-1229457150_thumb.jpg

post-90451-1229457219_thumb.jpg

Since you are currently on an antibiotic and a retinoid, accutane should clear you right up. Try not to stress too much about the dreaded IB, because remember stress breaks you out. Think positive thoughts and be extra kind to your body. It is going to be a tough ride but just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!!!! Your avatar looks tasty!

So i went to the derm to officially start accutane after the 30 day waiting period.

He seemed to breeze through the explanation and just seemed to gloss over the potential for depression. All he said was most people don't experience it, and actually feel happier bc their skin is clearing up. Then all he added was that I couldn't give blood, and that I should stop all topical/ antibiotics.

Finally he asked my weight (125) and just remarked that he would give me a high dosage for that weight, so that I could have as short a course as possible.

He didn't offer any more information, so I had to ask him what dosage I would take, and how long I would be on it. He just casually said, oh 60 mgs for 4 months.

When I asked him if this was an effective course and an effective length of time, he said that would be adequate to get rid of my acne once and for all, and keep it gone.

I was skeptical, so he quickly reassured me that many of his previous patients responded well to this plan of attack.

He said that if I had a lot of negative side effects, we could lower the dosage and lengthen the time.

So I am apprehensive because my skin is dry in the first place, and don't want it to become even worse...

but for now I will trust my dermatologist.

Also I was wondering how long it took people to have their bloodwork results faxed to their dermatologist's office after they got it done? I am just really worried that since it is christmas week, and places will close for Thurs/Fri, that I will miss my 7 day pickup window, and have to wait another month!! :wall:

Just checking in to see how you are doing! I'm 24 and just started my course on December 19, so we are on a pretty similar timeline :) I hope you were able to get everything worked out and start your treatment.

Good luck!

DAY 11

So I managed to get my prescription and started my course! Actually my skin was doing well since i started (lol for the WHOLE TEN DAYS i know) but the the last couple of days I have broken out with two flat looking red bumps. One is on my forehead and one on my cheek. But this can be possibly attributed to me not washing my face last night and today :dry:

However, this can be that initial breakout we all know and of course love.

What's super weird is that I have developed a HUGE inflamed cyst behind my ear!. Even though it kinda hurts I am kinda laughing about it. what a random place to get a cyst. But if all my breakouts happened behind my ears or other hidden places I wouldn't hate it.

In terms of side effects, my lips are starting to dry up and the little crevices near my nose are kinda getting irritated.

Tinnie-

that's awesome that you started around the same time as me and are reading my log! It's nice to know that my log is not getting lost in the shuffle haha.

what dosage are you on and how are things going for you?

I just started my course yesterday, and thought since you are not too far ahead of me, it would be nice to follow your blog and see how your progress is going too.

My face is also already dry to begin with (as well as my hands and hair), so I am definitely worried about how extra dry I will soon become.

I am alternating between 40 mg once a day, and twice every second day, so in a way our dosages are similar.

Best of luck! Hope we avoid the dreaded IB

Day 12

IB starting?perhaps? I dont know...

the bump on my forehead seems smaller (but still there) meanwhile the one on my cheek has gotten bigger, more sore and red <_<

also i have two little bumps on my cheeks that kinda look like inflamed whiteheads.

I just don't know if this is the IB, or my fashwash/moisturizer is causing me to break out.

I use the cerave lotion and went to the store today and bought the Purpose liquid face wash. Haha i was sooooo tempted to buy some new Burt's Bees Cleanser but told myself to keep it simple and not get hooked by marketing ploys.

I should just depend on accutane and not try every facewash on the market (no matter how good the product description makes it sound).

So what do u guys use as moisturizers/face washes?

Scamptress-

Yeah I was worried about the high dosage, but my derm seemed so sure that I just agreed. But he also was really sure that I would be on a 4 month treatment...we will see how that goes!

And yeah, my hands are getting super irritated but nothing worse than what was on it before. I already had excema before accutane, so I am used to dealing with it.

Hey just pass by to say hello and wish u the best of luck on ur course with Accutane.

According to what u said i think u're experiencing a really mild IB and let's just keep our fingers crossed that it will stay that way and be gone soon.

I started on the 1st of January 2009- yeah right on the first day of the year. So today is my fourth day on it. I will check ur log often to give u my support and get some for myself too :). I just so want it to be over soon...:)

You are a day ahead of me, so I will be checking out your log. It will be like looking a day into the future to see what new side effects I will expect to experience! :D For cleanser I use Cetaphil and absolutely love it because it is so gentle. I am still looking for a good moisturizer, how is the Cerave? I've never even heard of that brand, where can you buy it? Good luck with your IB, I hope it clears up soon!

I'm hoping to start later this month and also have dry skin, so I'll be watching your blog. Any advice about gentle moisturizers and cleansers? Best of luck to you, and feel free to check out my blog for company...

Day 13

Ok so now the bump on my forehead has disappeared while the one on my cheek looks even worse and more 3-dimensional. Actually it seemed like my acne got worse DURING the day because I took update pictures this morning as soon as I got up, but then my left cheek worsened during the afternoon. I really don't understand the human body haha. How can a pimple in one spot of the face flatten and go away (the one on my forehead), while the one on my cheek get more noticeable and pronounced?

Does accutane speed up the "lifespan" of a pimple? aka push it out faster so it can start the healing? i hope so , bc it is annoying seeing the pimple on my cheek when i look down. When I go get my 2nd month script of accutane, I'll ask my derm to inject it.

I would go now but its a $20 copay per visit and I don't want to pay that twice :boohoo:

enough rambling, here are the pics!

Left cheek today in the A.M.

post-90451-1231115966_thumb.jpg

Same cheek in the P.M.

post-90451-1231116025_thumb.jpg

Right Cheek:

post-90451-1231116060_thumb.jpg

yay for all the accutane users with dry skin! I always thought it was weird that I had dry skin yet broke out. i thought dealing with eczema was enough skin woe for me, but I guess not lol!

Giselle + fingerscrossed5:

my derm gave me Cerave sample kits (cleanser+lotion+cream) @ first to deal with superrrr dry skin I got on Retin-A; plus he said it is also GREAT for eczema. I don't really like the cleanser (Its a little too milky for my taste, i guess psychologically I need a lather) but the lotion is amazing! You can use it all over the body + your face, and it makes your skin feel baby soft. Plus I think my face doesn't look greasy on it, but instead kinda dewy. It says it doesn't clog your pores but only time will tell... I bought it in CVS, and I'm sure its available at all drugstores.

As for face wash, I just bought the Purpose liquid cleanser. It says on the bottle that it is as gentle as washing your face with water, but i still kinda feel a tight feeling after washing. Nothing a little lotion can't solve though!

post-90451-1231115966_thumb.jpg

post-90451-1231116025_thumb.jpg

post-90451-1231116060_thumb.jpg

Day 15

Ok. officially finished my first box of pills.

The two small pimples on my cheek kinda shrank but still dot my face with two dark marks, and feel almost scablike. Accidentally I was scratching the side of my nose and I scratched off one of them :shhh:

So I dabbed some neosporin ointment on it (thats what you're supposed to do right?)

the huge cyst on my face seems to have also gotten smaller and now has that white area in the middle of it. (transformed into a "zit"?)

my forehead now has a small area of clogged pores.

I think my major issue is the fact that my breakouts happen in the most noticeable area of the face ...i.e. the cheeks right underneath the eyes. so they are always super obvious.

in terms of side effects, my hands have become very itchy, and in the A.M. when i blow my nose , there has been a small amount of teensy specks of blood (i wouldn't classify it as a nose bleed though)

is it ok to get cortisone shots while on accutane? has anyone, and what were the results?

Day 17

so I really dont know if my Mousterizer (CeraVe) is causing me to break out or if its that pesky IB. I dont know if areas on my face are getting filled with clogged pores or I am just imagining it.

I swear acne has made me paranoid and obsessive. I mean I am constantly second-guessing every decision I make, bc I am afraid it will break me out. For example, when I had my bowl of cereal in the morning I felt guilty and almost worried eating it, bc I heard dairy can aggravate acne.

I miss the time when I was carefree and never had to worry about the possibility of a looming breakout--when potential acne never seemed like a possibility. When I was clear, I didn't care what i ate, what makeup product I used, what touched my face etc.

Now it's like I've constructed a whole new way of living. With acne, I avoid looking at myself in harshly lit areas, avoid mirrors in the house which make my skin look TERRIBLE, try to face people with my most clear side at the time, and obsessively check and worry about everything that touches my face.

And even though I am on accutane, with the best case scenario being that my acne is totally cured and gone forever, I feel like this paranoia of "when will it come back" or "how can i prevent it from coming back" will still remain.

day 26

ok had my one month derm appt today.

haha it was at 8 am and I woke up at like 7:30 so I barely had enough time to brush my teeth. So I didn't wash my face/moisturize before my appointment,

I finally looked at my face in the mirror the derm's office and saw it was LITERALLY COVERED with white flakes and in addition all irritated looking. it looked like i rubbed a white paste all around my lower half of my face.

so my dermatologist comes in and was like... "omg! noticeable improvement!",

but i didn't really believe him, and even asked him if he was being sarcastic or joking lol.

I mean just the night before i woke up with two HUGE red pimples on the side of my face (fortunately can be covered up by my hair). in my opinion my face looks worse than when i started.

but my derm disagreed and showed me that he does a skin rating at every appointment, and had me rated before as "moderate-severe", and now i am "mild-moderate".

i asked him if i had any permanent scarring, and he said all my red marks would fade, but i had one slight pockmark (on my cheek :cry: ) that would be permanent.

so i reminded him that was where he had injected a cyst, and he said well then that spot had a high chance of refilling with collagen.

then he showed me a scar on HIS face i guess to make me feel better, but i thought it was funny like UNDER his chin, so it was basically hidden all the time.

finally he was like, "don't worry! first month is always unpredictable. but 90% of ppl stop breaking out after the 2nd month!"

and then he said out of a thousand cases he's treated only 5-10 patients have continued to break out after 4 months of treatment.

haha i think i have the most optimistic dermatologist ever.

Now it's like I've constructed a whole new way of living. With acne, I avoid looking at myself in harshly lit areas, avoid mirrors in the house which make my skin look TERRIBLE, try to face people with my most clear side at the time, and obsessively check and worry about everything that touches my face.

And even though I am on accutane, with the best case scenario being that my acne is totally cured and gone forever, I feel like this paranoia of "when will it come back" or "how can i prevent it from coming back" will still remain.

I just wanted to say that I feel exactly the same. Esp. with facing people with your clear side. I def. notice I have been doing that lately. Also feel you on the thought of "when will it come back" Even though I am going on Accutane I just can't imagine my life without acne alwayyyyys making it's way back into my life. But you gotta stay positive and just believe that this will work and be the end of it! I have found the more people I tell that I am going on it the more people I find out who have taken it or know people who have who ALL have beautiful clear skin now. Before you know it, your skin will be clear, and you will get back into the swing of things!

DAY 11

So I managed to get my prescription and started my course! Actually my skin was doing well since i started (lol for the WHOLE TEN DAYS i know) but the the last couple of days I have broken out with two flat looking red bumps. One is on my forehead and one on my cheek. But this can be possibly attributed to me not washing my face last night and today :dry:

However, this can be that initial breakout we all know and of course love.

What's super weird is that I have developed a HUGE inflamed cyst behind my ear!. Even though it kinda hurts I am kinda laughing about it. what a random place to get a cyst. But if all my breakouts happened behind my ears or other hidden places I wouldn't hate it.

In terms of side effects, my lips are starting to dry up and the little crevices near my nose are kinda getting irritated.

Tinnie-

that's awesome that you started around the same time as me and are reading my log! It's nice to know that my log is not getting lost in the shuffle haha.

what dosage are you on and how are things going for you?

Hey! I have a huge cyst behind my ear too... But it looks like a boil so I am getting worried! There is no head and it is shinny... Doesn't really look like a pimple. Been there for 12 days now

dm621-

yeah i'm trying to have a positive attitude and think that even if i break out, at least there is hope at the end of this treatment :D

actually i was suprised too the amount of people who have went on accutane/ know people who went on it. usually these people took it in highschool, so obviously by the time I met them in college, their skin looks amazing. that also reassures me knowing no matter how bad i think it may look now, in a year or so my skin will heal. it's really funny, it was only AFTER getting acne that i would obsessively examine other people's skin.

it's so cool thinking that people who meet me a year or so later for the first time, wouldn't know my fight with acne.

cosmogirl-

yeah the cyst was soo weird! this was the 2nd time i got one behind my ear but it went away. is yours still there? if you are worried, i would def have a derm check it out....

i am not sure when mine went away, because since it wasn't visible I didn't monitor its progress.

DAY 33

it has been kinda a bad couple of weeks breakouts wise. im getting my period soon and have broken out with a couple of cysts. in addition i have some smaller breakouts. i accidently popped this huge pimple while washing my face and i started freaking out because i know accutane increases the risk of scarring

add that to the cyst on the side of my face i got two weeks ago that has not gone down yet...

it really got me down when my dad said my skin looks horrible b/c of the new breakouts + scarring in addition to the dryness.

it makes me super self-conscience and i just don't need another thing in my life to stress me out. my parents dont understand bc they NEVER had skin issues so they think my acne is MY fault. i just want this year to go by....

DAY 33

it has been kinda a bad couple of weeks breakouts wise. im getting my period soon and have broken out with a couple of cysts. in addition i have some smaller breakouts. i accidently popped this huge pimple while washing my face and i started freaking out because i know accutane increases the risk of scarring

add that to the cyst on the side of my face i got two weeks ago that has not gone down yet...

it really got me down when my dad said my skin looks horrible b/c of the new breakouts + scarring in addition to the dryness.

it makes me super self-conscience and i just don't need another thing in my life to stress me out. my parents dont understand bc they NEVER had skin issues so they think my acne is MY fault. i just want this year to go by....

Hey, I know how u're feeling, it's really frustrating to be in such a state, but don't take what other people told u seriously. Since u've already reached a month mark i guess your IB will be over soon or at least be much more diminished. I'm really sorry to hear about your parents' attitude towards your acne. I think they must have been the first who were supposed to give u a full moral support. Anyway don't worry about that, U have my long-term support. :) Keep thinking positively ... U'll be clearing up in no time.

Day ??? (well a couple weeks away from finishing Month two!)

well, its been super cold here and my skin has been flaking up a storm!

still on the same dosage, but the only thing really bothering me is RED MARKS!!

in addition some of my cysts accidentally popped when i was washing my face (ugh) and they have left scarring behind. when washing my face this morning i felt a tiny pimple on my chin (uh oh) but i'll see what develops from that 2morrow morning!

my scars are weird bc they are red, but some of them kinda look like raised bumps....do these bumps eventually go down?

i have noticed that accutane really slows down the natural fading of red marks. usually my red marks fade in a month or so, but i still have some red marks that i developed when i started accutane.

i cant wait for this treatment is over (+ 6 months) so i can microdermabrasion it up!

im still using cerave. and now that my skin is flaking more, im using the cerave cleanser as well. i dont like it for removing makeup, but when i dont wear any i just use that cleanser. it feels soo smooth gliding over my face haha.

i tried ordering everyday minerals but i got totally the wrong colors haha. so i guess its one more sample kit!

its so hard finding shades that match brown skin!

but right now im just putting concealer over the obvious spots. i never really was into wearing a full face of foundation during the day bc i was paranoid that it would just clog my pores more.

RIGHT CHEEK!post-90451-1234210301_thumb.jpg

LEFT CHEEK! post-90451-1234210347_thumb.jpg

post-90451-1234210301_thumb.jpg

post-90451-1234210347_thumb.jpg